Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol licencing questions

Options
  • 14-11-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hopefully gonna apply for a licence soon, for a pistol.

I keep seeing the requirements to give a good reason (I know its on the licence application).

Am I missing something? is wanting "to go target shooting" not a good enough reason on its own? if it's not what kind of reasons should I have to persuade the Super' that I should get a licence? (given that Im trustworthy and not liable to commit a crime etc)?

I'm talking about a .22lr unrestricted gun (5 shots, .22lr calibre as I understand it)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hopefully gonna apply for a licence soon, for a pistol.

I keep seeing the requirements to give a good reason (I know its on the licence application).

Am I missing something? is wanting "to go target shooting" not a good enough reason on its own? if it's not what kind of reasons should I have to persuade the Super' that I should get a licence? (given that Im trustworthy and not liable to commit a crime etc)?

I'm talking about a .22lr unrestricted gun (5 shots, .22lr calibre as I understand it)?

Are you a member of a doj approved club that has a pistol shooting range ? Your fellow club members should be able to assist you , especially as they will know what attitude the local super has to pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Yes target shooting is a good enough reason, It is the only reason to own a pistol here, But you "Must" be a member of an authorized pistol range and you have to do a safety course before you apply.
    Here is a list of things you need to do,
    1. Join a range.
    2. Do a safety course
    3. Put a deposit on the firearm you want. So you have the serial number when you apply for the licence.
    4. Buy and install a safe or any security your super requires you to have.
    5. Have two character referees for your application
    6. Go to the chemist and get two passport photos.
    Then all you need o do is fill out an FCA1 form all nine pages:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    And the you must wait you could be waiting anywhere from one week to one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

juice1304 wrote: »
    you have to do a safety course before you apply
    People keep saying that and it's just not true.
    There is a requirement for competency in the licence application, but that doesn't mean you have to do a course. There are several ways to meet that requirement - having had a licence before, being taught by other members of the club, and so forth. A course is just not mandatory. By all means, if you find a good one, do it; but don't do it because it's mandatory, and for the sake of your health, don't do one of the many 15-minute-shure-it'll-be-grand-that's-you-safe-on-rifles-pistols-and-shotguns-as-far-as-the-guards-are-concerned courses that seem to be popping up around the country.

And if you are going to do a course to satisfy the Super, there's a step to do before doing the course and that's to ask the Super what course he'll accept, because there is no list of courses that will be accepted, no standards and nobody in the country can say "do course X and you are guaranteed to meet the standard and the super has no choice but to okay you afterwards".

Sparks wrote: »
    People keep saying that and it's just not true.
    There is a requirement for competency in the licence application, but that doesn't mean you have to do a course. There are several ways to meet that requirement - having had a licence before, being taught by other members of the club, and so forth. A course is just not mandatory. By all means, if you find a good one, do it; but don't do it because it's mandatory, and for the sake of your health, don't do one of the many 15-minute-shure-it'll-be-grand-that's-you-safe-on-rifles-pistols-and-shotguns-as-far-as-the-guards-are-concerned courses that seem to be popping up around the country.

And if you are going to do a course to satisfy the Super, there's a step to do before doing the course and that's to ask the Super what course he'll accept, because there is no list of courses that will be accepted, no standards and nobody in the country can say "do course X and you are guaranteed to meet the standard and the super has no choice but to okay you afterwards".

Shush sparks , theres money to be made doing those "courses"

rowa wrote: »
    Shush sparks , theres money to be made doing those "courses"

Gee rowa, you're a fair oul cynic! Sure nobody would be so utterly mercenary as to overcharge their fellow shooters for courses that they weren't qualified to teach and which weren't needed anyway! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Split out from an earlier, long-dead thread...

Fair enough, From my own experience of licencing firearms the super in "My" district has always asked to see proof of taking a safety course. I have yet to hear of one taking " someone in the club showed me" as ok. He has also already stated that this will be his first firearm also.

Fair enough, From my own experience of licencing firearms the super in "My" district has always asked to see proof of taking a safety course. I have yet to hear of one taking " someone in the club showed me" as ok. He has also already stated that this will be his first firearm also.

If the super demands it, that's another kettle of fish; but "someone in the club trained me" is the very basis of the training licence, so it has to be accepted.

Besides, what's the difference between someone training you at the club and a course? Because there are damn few courses out there adhering to any kind of standard for teaching the way FETAC courses do, and only one or two which are even documented by anyone.

The only courses i would recommend to anyone would be the NRA run courses. I don't think the 10 minute don't point it at someone, don't point it in that direction etc.. Courses should be aloud at all. That Is purely a money making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Well the NRA courses, all by a qualified instructor, are run at our club often enough. The different courses cover RSO, safe use of firearms, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Thanks guys!

All great info (particularly Juices concise list on sequence of events etc- thanks for that).

As for safety course, I realise whether I require it or not (different debate maybe?) I intend to get it done - the obvious thing is 'keep it pointed down range at all times etc' its the 'drills' i also need. Checking chamber clear, clearing jams, etc - all easy to say, but I know such a serious drill needs to be practiced and in the right order.
    As I'm interested in target shooting I'm also watching a fair bit of Sky shows (red jacket, american guns etc...maybe a bit sad - however I like them. ).

My good pal is experienced in guns and gun safety (government trained if you get my meaning) and he would be competent to drill me etc.

Last thing I want is to go home with an extra hole... or maybe worse someone else with an extra hole???

anyway my job is in the safety sector....so I know the value of training competency etc.

I am however lacking in knowledge as well as gun skills. so it all a learning curve for me. just reading the various posts here is great and any answers or pointers in helping me join the sport is greatly appreciated, so thanks and thanks for putting up with my beginners questions etc.

I genuinely appreciate and crave the advice you guys can give me!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

http://www.harbourhouseshooting.com/contact_us.html

Tommy and Derek are the lads to talk to (Owner and Club Manager respectively)

Based in Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

i have bought a .22 recently and am having to go to court to get the FAC, my two cent would be...
    1,pick a firearm off the list in the commissioners guidelines so as to avoid some hoops
    2,then join a shooting range, your nearest is in Castlemaine Co Kerry.
    3,a NRA course would stand to you i would do this then apply..

its very easy for the Garda to refuse you for the small silly things so i'd get your application as strong as possible, as its for a short arm and they frown on these firearms.

That sux tac:(, What was his reasoning?
    I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

That sux tac:(, What was his reasoning?
    I hope it works out for you.

Hey, was that aimed at me? :confused:

Not on THIS thread, whatever it was.......please point me at the right one, if you would be so kind. :)

Best

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »
    Hey, was that aimed at me? :confused:
    No. It was an abbreviated way of saying Tackleberry. In relation to him having to go to court to get his FAC.
    i have bought a .22 recently and am having to go to court to get the FAC, ........................
    That sux tac:(,
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Sorry for the confusion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Easily happens when abbreviations are actually the names of other users. :cool:

Problems associated with using handles.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yes target shooting is a good enough reason, It is the only reason to own a pistol here, But you "Must" be a member of an authorized pistol range and you have to do a safety course before you apply.
    Here is a list of things you need to do,
    1. Join a range.
    2. Do a safety course
    3. Put a deposit on the firearm you want. So you have the serial number when you apply for the licence.
    4. Buy and install a safe or any security your super requires you to have.
    5. Have two character referees for your application
    6. Go to the chemist and get two passport photos.
    Then all you need o do is fill out an FCA1 form all nine pages:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    And the you must wait you could be waiting anywhere from one week to one year.

From my own personal experience, do all the things listed above but also include the following with your application to smooth the application process.

Supply proof of your membership of a range. Photocopy your membership card etc.

Supply proof that you have an approved safe, make and model etc. I even supplied a pic of my safe with my application

I supplied a copy of my monitored alarm agreement with Eircom too but maybe that was me going over the top.

This might also seem stupid but this delayed the processing of my licence for over a month, but supply a letter from the dealer stating that the firearm magazines are either 5 round magazines or that they will be restricted to five rounds before you take possession of them. Don't assume that the Gardai will know that they are 5 round magazines.

Also, don't tick the box on the form that says sights. This only refers to night vision sights or thermal sights. It doesn't apply to red dot sights etc. In my opinion, the FAC1 form is misleading in this regard. Because I mistakenly ticked the box for sights, it delayed my application further until I clarified that I didn't intend to put a night vision or thermal sight on the gun.

My advice might seem over the top but these are the obstacles that I came up against when I applied.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Supply proof of your membership of a range. Photocopy your membership card etc.

Supply proof that you have an approved safe, make and model etc. I even supplied a pic of my safe with my application

I supplied a copy of my monitored alarm agreement with Eircom too but maybe that was me going over the top.

I do the same thing with regard pics of safe and proof of monitoring :D Great minds think alike. :pac:

Hi,
    Battlecorp/Juice1304, excellent advice, though I don't have an alarm system? I've never been burgled and its not prevelant in my area (as in my road) I live in north Kerry, and yes we do have burglers etc, but (touch wood) never been done.

Is it mandatory to have an alarm? (screwed if it is..)
    ta

Hi,
    Battlecorp/Juice1304, excellent advice, though I don't have an alarm system? I've never been burgled and its not prevelant in my area (as in my road) I live in north Kerry, and yes we do have burglers etc, but (touch wood) never been done.

Is it mandatory to have an alarm? (screwed if it is..)
    ta

Depends on how many firearms are in the house though a super can specify an alarm as a condition for any licence. Over 6 and you must have one.

Phewww

This would be my first....gun.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Phewww

This would be my first....gun.

Ta

Have a meeting with your local Super.
    Some superintendents might set certain conditions with regards to a pistol like you might only have to have a GSM monitored alarm on the safe and put extra recommended BS standard locks on doors.
    Also might set conditions like have a steel box for transport of the pistol.

You should do all these things anyway, make them see your serious about safety and security. They will reward you for your merits then.

Advertisement