Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Greece - kick-off 7:45 - live SS3

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

****ing hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Meyler has kicked the ball out of play 4 times now. He is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Jesus, Meyler looks rusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Sweden have scored 4 in last two games... Next up for us is Stockholm. Yeah that's not looking too good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Take back what I said about Meyler being good

Meyler has kicked the ball out of play 4 times now. He is terrible.
    He looks very rusty - has hardly kicked a ball this season to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's the same old faces that have let us down tonight.

Ward, Whelan, Cox.

I highlighted these as our weak links before the start of the match and have been proven correct once again.

Whelan? He went off early, what are you blaming him for?

I also don't see why you think Cox was that bad, Long wasn't much better - got himself booked as well.

McClean has been poor for me considering the mount of ball he has had.
    Ward has been poor as per I agree.
    Meyler awful since he came on.
    O'Shea awful for the goal.

Doyle huffing and puffing but tough up on his own.

He looks very rusty - has hardly kicked a ball this season to be fair.

30 appearances in the last 4 years it seems. Hope Hull is good for him.

I only realised now, watching Ireland is really boring. lul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Ffs

The future does not look bright for Irish soccer.

Fcuking hell McClean. Get your head up.

noodler wrote: »
    For the time he was on, he was the worst player on the pitch. Looked shockingly lazy tonight, especially considering how much McCarthy put himself about.
    I also don't see why you think Cox was that bad, Long wasn't much better - got himself booked as well.
    Long linked up well with Coleman to set Cox up. Showed some good control and touches too. Cox showed **** all tonight.

Should have watched the England game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You feel that was our last chance in this game. Feeling Greece will hold out now or get one on break, even with 20 minutes left.

I hate that I was right.

We have done it too many times in past, so no points for it.

Some passes in last 10 minutes were brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

McClean has been poor for me considering the mount of ball he has had.
    Ward has been poor as per I agree.
    Meyler awful since he came on.
    O'Shea awful for the goal.

Doyle huffing and puffing but tough up on his own.

Whelan was ridiculously negative when on the pitch. The reason why nearly every move slowed down in our good spell of possession at the beginning.

Long put in a shift and created chances and made positive play by putting himself about, he's clearly our best option up there.

Cox has been anonymous.

Ward is always awful.

Agree with you about the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

My Ratings because no one cares:

Forde - 7/10
    Coleman - 8/10
    O'Shea - 6/10
    Clark - 6/10
    Ward - 6/10

McCarthy - 5/10
    Whelan - 5/10

McClean - 6/10
    Brady - 6/10

Long - 7/10
    Cox - 5/10

Subs:

Andrews - 6/10
    Keogh - 5/10
    Meyler - 4/10
    Doyle - 6/10
    Hoolahan - 6/10

I'm still glad we played someone who would give us a competitive game.

Positives include Coleman, Hoolahan and the way we kept the ball in the second half (even if most of took place outside the Greek box).

Alot of poor individual performances though.

Gonna keep working on my Ibra voodoo doll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

were there enough people at the game to make the boo's audible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

F*ck. This. Sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The username comment was about your Heskey/O'Neill hyperbole!

And you know it was!

Martin O'Neill is known for favouring journeymen, any club he has managed always had one or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm off to play Fifa so I can remember what a goal actually looks like.

Martin O'Neill is known for favouring journeymen, any club he has managed always had one or two.

Ah, what an amazingly simplistic generalisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

It's a friendly lads. Half the lads just didn't look like they cared. Sweden is the big one and I'm sure we will be up for it.

One thing is certain trap really needs to start picking the best eleven available.

Whelan and ward should now be dropped. Not good enough anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

edgecutter wrote: »
    It's a friendly lads. Half the lads just didn't look like they cared. Sweden is the big one and I'm sure we will be up for it.

One thing is certain trap really needs to start picking the best eleven available.

Whelan and ward should now be dropped. Not good enough anymore.

They never were good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was a performance that was good in patches: the start of the first half and that good spell in the middle of the second half.

We'll be a stronger team when our first choice centre-backs return as well as our captain Keane. McGeady will also be useful as I think McClean is on a poor run of form at the moment. I'd love Westwood to move on in the January window but I don't know how likely that is. I haven't got a great deal of faith in Forde.

Sweden will be full of confidence after that result and the German one. I fear for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Good god that was a game that certainly lived up to expectations. I almost want to just go asleep for the next year and wake up when it's all over.

Invented gayness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

:eek:

We had 61% possession.

Good few positives out there I thought despite the defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

:eek:

We had 61% possession.

Good few positives out there I thought despite the defeat.

Nah there really wasn't!

Coleman was quality, McCarthy did ok..Wes did ok too in 2nd half the odd time he did get the ball.

Negatives were Ward was useless as always, O'Shea was dodgy, McClean continued his poor Sunderland form , Whelan was just dreadful..killed any decent move we had going in 1st half with his slowness and obession with passing ball backwards. Keogh was somehow involved again.

Once we lose in March to Sweden, finally we can move on and be rid of that old chancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

good too see the great Meyler justify all the hype from numerous people on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

statss wrote: »
    good too see the great Meyler justify all the hype from numerous people on this forum.

In fairness,anyone can have an off '15 mins'.

A lot of Sunderland fans didnt want him to go out on loan and they are going mad that Vaughan is been played ahead of him.

No matter what way you look at the Irish team and how they are playing, we are in for a tanking in Sweden. We just don't have the players to get out of this group. It's like playing poker, you can bluff for awhile but unless you get good cards you will lose overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

No matter what way you look at the Irish team and how they are playing, we are in for a tanking in Sweden. We just don't have the players to get out of this group. It's like playing poker, you can bluff for awhile but unless you get good cards you will lose overall.

The only glimmer of hope I can take is that we're better away than at home. A draw is a possibility but I wouldn't bet a quid on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good to see over-exaggeration is well and truly alive amongst Irish fans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thought McLean did ok tonight, had a few poor crosses but had more shots than anyone else and was more direct than everyone except Coleman. The one thing I can't stand about the way Ireland play is the incredible slowness in playing the ball sometimes, all the midfield was guilty of it at times and I'm not sure what the reason is. My guess would be the continuous negative tactics from Trap almost sucking any inherent urgency from the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think Coleman's performance tonight truly vindicated Trapattoni's decision to bring Paul McShane to the Euro's in his place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Ireland had over 60 per cent of possession? Parallel Universe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

It was a performance that was good in patches: the start of the first half and that good spell in the middle of the second half.

We'll be a stronger team when our first choice centre-backs return as well as our captain Keane. McGeady will also be useful as I think McClean is on a poor run of form at the moment. I'd love Westwood to move on in the January window but I don't know how likely that is. I haven't got a great deal of faith in Forde.

Thought the good patches were pretty good. At the end of the day Greece scored with their first show on goal after 30 minutes, although they had been gaining a lot of possession in the 5/10 minutes before. The first 20 minutes Coleman and Brady were killing them down the right. Second half we had them under the kosh for a while but they we reverted to long balls which popolopos just mopped up.
    Coleman has played himself into the team.
    We need Dunne and Sledge back big time.

He has barely played any football for Sunderland in the last 8 months or so. Give the lad a chance. Once he gets a good run in the Hull side I think we will see a top player. 15 mins and now he a bad player .. ffs some knobs on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

My Ratings

Forde - 7/10
    Coleman - 7/10
    O'Shea - 5/10
    Clark - 6/10
    Ward - 6/10

McCarthy - 5.5/10
    Whelan - 5/10

McClean - 5/10
    Brady - 6.5/10

Long - 6.5/10
    Cox - 6/10

Subs:

Andrews - 6/10
    Keogh - 5/10
    Meyler - 4/10
    Doyle - 6/10
    Hoolahan - 7/10

My Ratings

Forde - 5/10 - Could have done for the better, poor distribution in general.
    Coleman - 8/10 - Great going forward, and defensively more assured than previous games.
    O'Shea - 5/10 - Didn't close down for the Greek goal, looks to have lost a bit of pace.
    Clark - 6/10 - Started shaky, got better as the game went on.
    Ward - 3/10 - Cannot pass a football, cannot cross a football. Useless.

McCarthy - 7/10 - Worked really hard in midfield, didn't lose the ball often, let down by his team mates.
    Whelan - 3/10 - Same as Ward, a sham of a player who looked particularly lazy last night.

McClean - 6/10 - Not his best game, but can't fault his work rate.
    Brady - 7/10 - Bizarrely taken off, linked up great with Coleman, a few poor final balls, but this kid has a good peg on him.

Long - 7/10 - Created a golden chance for Cox. Held the ball up well, had some good link up. Should have remained on for the game.
    Cox - 4/10 - Just not reliable as a forward or a winger. Was annoyed with him waving his arms around Robbie style at his team mates.

Subs:

Andrews - 6/10 - Worked hard, tried a lot of Hollywood crosses, intensity wasn't as high as it was previously.
    Keogh - 5/10 - Didn't do a whole pile right or wrong.
    Meyler - 5/10 - Looked rusty, really needs to rack up 10-20 games at Hull to be honest.
    Doyle - 6/10 - Tried hard, ran the channels, won a few duels, got no support though
    Hoolahan - 8/10 - Brilliant for the time he was on, never lost the ball, always looked for it, create a few chances. He changed the game when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

This match was the first time since Euro 2004 that Greece didn't use any players from their Euro 2004 winning squad.

He has barely played any football for Sunderland in the last 8 months or so. Give the lad a chance. Once he gets a good run in the Hull side I think we will see a top player. 15 mins and now he a bad player .. ffs some knobs on here

Yes but doesn't that just sum up exactly where we are? A player coming on in an International match without playing club football for 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Yes but doesn't that just sum up exactly where we are? A player coming on in an International match without playing club football for 8 months.
    It was only a (low profile) friendly, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Trap in

Advertisement