Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are these people calling to my house???

• 14-11-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I live in an apartment block in West Dublin & 2 weeks ago some very persistent people called to my door several times over 2 days.

Tuesday 30 Oct: They knocked on my front door (the door into my apartment, so someone else must have let them in the outer security door). I'd just run the Dublin City Marathon the day before - gotta get that in there :D - so by the time I got slowly out of the armchair & got up to the door, they'd moved away from my door & over to my neighbours'. I just saw them out the spy hole. There were 2 men & 1 woman, dressed quite smartly with clip boards & such. I couldn't see any branding / company colours / equipment, etc.

Wednesday 31 Oct: They rang my doorbell THREE times! :eek: They were outside the building, ringing the buzzers. We have little grey tv screens to show who is ringing outside. Each time I went to answer, they were moving away from the door. I could see them out the window going around the corner, presumably to knock on everyone else's doors.

They can't be from the management company as they'd have written to me. Don't think it's the residents' committee either. They only seemed to be around those two days. I've been home a lot since & they haven't called again.

So who are they? Why send 3 people? TV licence inspectors? Survey takers? Religious sorts recruiting? Wondered if they might be ESB or UPC or some other utility provider, but I've seen Airtricity people previously all dressed in green, so surely they would all be wearing branded uniforms.

:confused: Any suggestions? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

CIA, you are fooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

TV licence inspector.

I know a few transvestites around here who were caught without the necessary paperwork.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sound like God botherers to me.
    Whoever it is I would say it is in your best interest not to answer.

Nothing good ever came of answering doors to strangers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They knocked on my front door

So who are they?

*Googles They*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Probably just Mormons or Jehovah Witnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Probably just the Mafia, nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Thinly disguised I ran the Dublin Mara....

wait a minute...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Sounds like Mormons trying to 'save' your soul from damnation. They are persistent because it is part of their life-duty contract to try their hardest "to spread the word..." Totally harmless and always well dressed and pleasant, if you tell them you are not interested, they will leave you alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭matchthis

250px-Senor_Ding_Dong.png

ORRRRRRR

Doorbell inspectors on the way to a conference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Jehova's witness's taking on the t.v license gig... While selling airtricity... ... It's a conspiracy I tells ya... !!! And you'll never know for sure till you open the door.. And then it's too late...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I don't usually answer the door if I'm not expecting someone. Even to the point where I ignore the security guard when he buzzes cos I can't stand talking to him. Hurray for those mini tv-screens! :D

If it is religious folks, I kinda wish they'd have some big obvious symbol marking them as such. I'd like to talk to them. I'm unemployed, I have the time to chat & maybe they'd be interested to hear about my religion.* :D Now TV license inspectors, I also wish they'd have some big obvious symbol... :p
    CIA, you are fooked.
    That was just a misunderstanding, and it's all been cleared up. I got my passport back & all! :o

*Is atheism a religion? Now not that "atheism+" nonsense, proper old-fashioned atheism.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

I understand OP fustration...unannouced callers are not that welcome..hardly ever is to tell you that you have won the euromillions!
    Maybe she had a cheque on the clipboard and they where her bodyguards?
    Yeah probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God botherers are easy to spot - young, clean shaved, tidy hair, black suits, briefcase, good posture.

Or is that the CIA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I don't know who they are OP. The only thing to do is to hide under a pile of coats and cry uncontrollably while praying that they don't come back again tomorrow :(

I WISH it had been Senor Ding Dong! :cool:
    annascott wrote: »
    Sounds like Mormons trying to 'save' your soul from damnation. They are persistent because it is part of their life-duty contract to try their hardest "to spread the word..." Totally harmless and always well dressed and pleasant, if you tell them you are not interested, they will leave you alone.

Not Mormons. Too old & no Brother Whatever / Sister Somethingorother name tags visible (from way away!) And no long black coats or super fresh white starched shirts.

Although I did meet some Mormons out converting one rainy New Year's Eve, walking the prom in Clontarf near midnight with an ex. Maybe they thought we were off out to throw ourselves into the sea. If my religion expected me to go converting in the rain on NYE, I'd be having serious doubts about how much I really want to be part of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Shortie chick,they were the people sent around to deliver the marathon medals that they were short on Monday!!!!!!

docrock wrote: »
    Shortie chick,they were the people sent around to deliver the marathon medals that they were short on Monday!!!!!!

Well I don't want to be greedy & take two! I got there in time to get my medal on the day (although only L / XL t-shirts left, I'm not that fast ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You're fine OP...it's just the local paedophiles introducing themselves to the community....while simultaneously scoping out the good houses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

The mods have gotten sick of being called keyboard warriors, and taken things into their own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

:confused: Why not just answer the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

General Petraeus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Eircom, Airtricity and Electric Ireland use door to door sales reps.
    As do Sky.
    Bord Gais and Vodafone don't use them AFAIK.
    Not sure about UPC but don't think they do either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Young and smartly dressed, Mormans for sure

Coles wrote: »
    :confused: Why not just answer the door?
    Ahem, I don't want to talk to some of the possible people just at this moment... :o
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Young and smartly dressed, Mormans for sure
    Not young, middle aged really. I reckon I've seen enough Mormons (on a mission that is) to recognise them at a fair distance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Eh, aliens probably trying to save you from the forthcoming Mayan apocalypse that's happening at the end of this year.
    Don't fear the anal probe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Heroditas wrote: »
    Eircom, Airtricity and Electric Ireland use door to door sales reps.
    As do Sky.
    Bord Gais and Vodafone don't use them AFAIK.
    Not sure about UPC but don't think they do either.

Who the f*** nocked my door the other night if Vodafone don't. Around 8 pm 2 men nocked at my door saying they were from Vodafone and asking to come in! Refused just said no and they walked away very dodey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Treehorn

stevek93 wrote: »
    Who the f*** nocked my door the other night if Vodafone don't. Around 8 pm 2 men nocked at my door saying they were from Vodafone and asking to come in! Refused just said no and they walked away very dodey.

Dodey? I doubt it.

He was killed in a car crash with Princess Diana.

Would Vodafone still have door-to-door staff working at 8pm? That does sound a bit dodgy. Did you report it to VF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Would Vodafone still have door-to-door staff working at 8pm? That does sound a bit dodgy. Did you report it to VF?

No as I don't think they were from Vodafone, can only imagine what would have happened if I let them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

It was obviously the Karma police looking to arrest you girl because your Hitler hairdo is making them feel ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bloody hell so Vodafone have them now too. No wonder they've stopped some of the cold calls using the phone, they're now badgering people at the door.

Advertisement