Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer Switch replaced in dining room ... Now kitchen lights wont work?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

As above

Replaced the dimmer switch in dining room today with normal switch, now kitchen light wont work.

Fuse board has being reset & trip switch for area, everything else in kitchen works,

I pulled the wiring to get a better grasp, would I have pulled a wire from the kitchen switch in the process?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's unlikely you pulled a wire at the light and whipped it out at the kitchen light. Can you take a couple of pictures? Best to knock it off at the board before you open up the switch or the light in case you have whipped out the live or switch-feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

yes i agree
    you probably pulled out the loop feed

there are possibly 3 wires in your new switch
    2 wires should be connected together in com terminal
    1 wire connected in L1 terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ray100

Whoever wired my house ... Done a cowboy job.

All the wires are the same colour

Dimmer switch had two wires in port 3 & 1 wire to L1

I wired a normal switch the same way?

K ... Will do it 2moro ... Or the wifey wont be to happy in darkness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Ray100 wrote: »
    K ... Will do it 2moro ... Or the wifey wont be to happy in darkness!!

update when you do
    cheers

and welcome to boards,its addictive though;)

• Advertisement

Many thanks for your help ... Meercat & Mr Magnolia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No bother, switch wire and permanent feed are normally the same colour by the way.

Don't forget to knock off the breaker before you start and make sure your connections are well made and tight.

Advertisement