Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halford's Carrera Bikes - any good?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

you get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 36 The Gram

I've had the Virtuoso since 2013 and managed about 4000km on it so far. Even managed to lug it around Westpostif in 5:30 last year. Yes, it's heavy but it's also a great bike to get back into cycling on without blowing the bank.

However, I've also upgraded bits over time. In order of appearance I replaced the pedals (Spd-sl for a year, regular Spd now), tyres (originals blew out after 300km), bar tape (the ultimate budget upgrade IMO), and wheels (shimano r501, total entry level but miles better than the stock wheels which are like sails in a crosswind).

Question for the experts here: I'm thinking of upgrading the groupset to a 10spd tigra/105 mix. I could get the parts for around €280 and fit them myself. Worth it for a winter bike or should I put a few hundred extra into the pot and get another aluminium frame for wet weather training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

If you upgrade the zelos to 105 and you already have the 501 wheels you will have an decent bike that weighs in at around 9kg, I did same a while back to a zelos and if does indeed make a difference to the complete package, a nice upgrade if that's what you want but I'm sure others will say sell it and buy a better bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

inc21 wrote: »
    you get what you pay for

yes you do. But, the carrera bikes can meet the riders requirements be them budgetary or otherwise. TBH, I have had a few carrera bikes, and have 3 or 4 high end bikes, and I suspect the carrera will be my most used bike by this time next year. I certainly wouldnt have any hesitation in recommending some of the carrera bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

lennymc wrote: »
    3 or 4 high end bikes

Jestas Lenny! How many bikes do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

inc21 wrote: »
    Jestas Lenny! How many bikes do you have?

Not enough. It's never enough

Hard one really, "you get what you pay for" is one reply.
    The real question is what do you need.
    Budget bike's are fine if that's the requirement.

"I'd rather buy a secondhand yoke tbh.
    Somebodys BTW bike that they did 20k on then retired it"
    ................. that's all well and fine as long as you are proficient at fixing up that secondhand yoke when it's "bits" are falling off and after 20K you can be sure quite a few "bits" will either be falling off or worn out..............

Horses for courses and all that....... Best of luck with the cycling whatever you get.

Jay$%^ I'm answering a 2 yr old post.
    FFS.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think he meant 20 kilometers there not 20,000 km aswell^.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jen1607 wrote: »
    I have a Zelos. Got it about 2 weeks ago and love it! Got a puncture already though so not going to waste my time on endless tubes and ordered a new set of Maxxis Detonator tyres to replace the cheap Kendra ones it comes with.

They will break your heart :mad:

Advertisement