Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark older dates in a different colour?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

Quick feature request if I may - and this is to allow normal users spot old/zombie thread revivals.

Basically, you just need some stylesheet change so that the Date on the title bar of each post would appear in red or Yellow (some distinct colour) if the post was made over a certain period of time, say three months etc.

Any thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

yup, not a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They should just automatically lock a thread which has had no reply in three months or whatever. Any time this gets suggested though you get 'oh someone else might have something to contribute', then when someone does bump an ancient thread and stays on topic they get told not to bump zombie threads and it gets locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

This suggestion was not to stop zombie thread revivals - like you said there might be a case for their revival etc, but it would help let others know that when a post is ancient, even if the thread is still active.

For instance, if you could look at the 'Drogheda Restaurant Reviews' thread in Louth forum, some of the earlier reviews doesn't hold now, or should not be given the same weight as it was when they were posted back then as the restaurants might have gone out of business, or have deteriorated (or improved) in standards etc. I think this sort of scenario applies to every thread - as long as boards is a 'thread' based discussion forum (unlike reddit for instance, where you can score individual posts and they come up to the top and expire after a certain period etc).

Just my 2c worth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

positron wrote: »
    This suggestion was not to stop zombie thread revivals - like you said there might be a case for their revival etc, but it would help let others know that when a post is ancient, even if the thread is still active.

Just one problem with that. A lot of posters that bump up such threads are most likely not taking into account how old the thread is, nor looking at the dates of when posts were created.

Having them change color over a periodic range will mean nothing, to people who aren't looking there in the first place.

Obviously I am crap at explaining err.. stuff? :D My point was that we will be helping others from quickly noticing zombie thread revivals.

Example: Someone silly bumps up an old Argos deal post on Bargain Alerts. Most Bargain Alert users will see the first post, go into Argos/CheckArgos, and then realize that the deal was months ago and they just fell victim for a zombie thread rival. If the older posts were to have a different color date - as soon as someone innocent goes in there, they would go "aha, zombie thread perhaps, these posts are too old, not wasting my time here, or I will go straight to the last post" etc, if you get my thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

pop-up message:

"This thread had been dormant for more than [insert time period], are you sure it's appropriate to post a reply?
    [Yes] [OOPS, I better go read the rules]"

/problem. :)

That is also a good idea, however what if someone goes thru all that and still revives a zombie thread? It still doesn't help regular users spot if someone else has done a zombie thread revival.

What I suggested gives EVERYONE a fair chance of spotting SOMEONE ELSE's zombie thread revival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Its gone abit like the Dail in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I honestly don't get the anger when someone posts in a dormant or zombie thread.

To try and downplay this needless hysteria, I suggest making the blue button to the left of the thread title a lot more prominant than it is, perhaps change the "tick" logo into "new post"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Why not put the start date of the thread under its name on the thread list?

Like here

• Advertisement
Advertisement