Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RF reed sticking

Options
  • 14-11-2012 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Just curious to know what would cause a reed to stick ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The glass seal fails and air/dust/dirt gets in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

So would it be best to buy a new sensor or solder on a new reed ??

Contacts are cheap. I'd just replace it.

This is an RF sensor .. They ain't cheap haha . I have a few reed switches I could use

Sorry, missed the RF bit TB.

Have you tried opening the hard wired alarm terminal on the sensor to see if it opens?

• Advertisement

Doesn't have one on it . simon alarm . Aritech 433 MHz shock / reed sensor without the inertia . When you open the door and then tap the sensor it works .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Reed sticking was common enough on wired systems. On a wireless one I would put my money on the reeds not being handled properly either during installation or manufacture causing the seal to break
    Any reed will do provided it's the right size

Doesn't have one on it . simon alarm . Aritech 433 MHz shock / reed sensor without the inertia . When you open the door and then tap the sensor it works .

There should be two reeds on that, one on the top and one in the side. Try the one that you're not using and see if that works.

The other thing to do would be to cut the reed in half and solder a pair of wires into it and wire in a standard contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

That would depend on the contact installed. The older contacts are as you described.
    Some are the inertia/contact with the head taken out with the reed just active. Others have a reed on either side with the link activating the reed.

Advertisement