Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better Madeira or Victoria Sponge?

Options
  • 14-11-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I want to start making cakes to sell. I'm quite a good bake just very confused about one thing. You know the cakes you would get in tesco with icing on them? They are Victoria sponge/Madeira with jam and cream in the middle and with fondant icing over them. Well my real question is what are they? Typical Victoria sponge or Madeira? And does anyone have any tips/amazing recipes for both? My Moms birthday is coming up so I want to make an amazing cake for her! Thanks!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Madeira is a denser cake than Victoria sponge

madeira looks like madeira-sponge.jpg

victoria sponge looks like

victoria-sponge-cake.jpg

so the Victoria sponge would be lighter than a madeira with bigger bubbles in it. It probably says on the packaging of the tesco cake which type it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved to Cake & Pie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cacawhee1

Which is better for a cake frosted with butter icing? Also any recipes anyone? Need amazing recipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The Victoria sponge and Maderia sponge recipes are very standard, no amazing recipes necessary.

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=classic-victoria-sandwich
    http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=madeira-sponge-cake

Both are suitable for icing, but Victoria is very soft, so would not be able to take much heavy decoration.

Maderia has a crunchier topping and is very nice with lemon rind or orange rind in the mixture.

Neither will taste like the Tesco mass produced cakes, home made is so different is hard to compare.

A properly made, very fresh Victoria sponge is beautiful, but does not keep as well as Maderia for a few days.

The key to making a top class cake, with either recipe is to have the butter very soft and eggs at room temp for a few hours before you start.

Have a go at both and see what you think.

Have fun,

Advertisement