Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antivirus

Options
  • 14-11-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Ehm im sorry if this is in the wrong place dont no where it would go , but anyways just wondering what would be the best free antivirus software you can put on your computer becuase i download alot of torrents and stuff and dnt want my computer to get viruses !?

so any help appreciated.
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Linux torrents, I assume.

Anti-virus is for prevention, not cure. If your computer happened to be already infected, it could need something else. The best prevention, of course, is to watch what you download.

I've been using avast these past few years and its serving me well, although it's sprung up a few false viruses.

I think there's a forums especially dedicated to this on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Monotype wrote: »

Anti-virus is for prevention, not cure. If your computer happened to be already infected, it could need something else. The best prevention, of course, is to watch what you download.

I've been using avast these past few years and its serving me well, although it's sprung up a few false viruses.

I think there's a forums especially dedicated to this on boards.

ha i no antivirus is for prevention eh is avast free ? my download it if it is and no my computers fine just thought id put an antivirus on it becuase my friend computer got one there a couple days a go and its messed up his computer so i prefer to be on the safe side :)

Monotype wrote: »

Please explain!!!!

Edit
    Of-course, not thinking here.
    Sure I have a vps seeding Slackware (mod alert: legal content)....
    Apologies....

OP. Some other tasks
    You should install an Operating System Firewall, such as zone alarm.
    Secure your network, close all unnecessary ports.
    If you must use a torrent client, do install on a non-admin account and use it in there.
    Ensure user OS passwords are strong.

Use Malware anti bytes regularly.

Now to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

or (one or the other)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

and run the odd scan with

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

aswell.

If you're using nothing at the min and torrenting linux, good chance you've picked up the flu already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

discussion of downloading illegal torrents is against the rules on here

if you haven't had an anti virus on your pc then I would recommend downloading Malwarebytes and running a scan but you then need to install a full anti virus like Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials or Kaspersky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you haven't had an anti virus on your pc then I would recommend downloading Malwarebytes and running a scan but you then need to install a full anti virus like Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials or Kaspersky

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Skerries wrote: »

sorry and thanks for the help lads :)

Advertisement