Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon HD 6850 2GB in older desktop

Options
  • 14-11-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I recently was given a Radeon HD 6850 2GB and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile putting it in my Dell XPS 420. Here's the card:

TOXJJ.jpg
    PmrJk.jpg

I do very little gaming, when I do it's usually FPS with the odd exception like Portal 2. The Dell is a few years old now but running 6GB RAM and SSD it's got a bit of life left. It's currently got a GeoForce 8800 GTX (1GB) running dual monitors - the 8800 has been good enough for my Quake 1, HL3 and CSS needs, but chugged a little on Portal 2.

In gaming terms it worthwhile installing the 6850? Can it run dual monitors?

How about selling it with box unopened, what's it worth (it's brand new)? It's a couple years old (announced Oct '10 afaics) so not sure about this angle. Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

It will give a nice boost over the 8800, shouldn't have any trouble with Portal 2. It can run up to 3 monitors in eyefinity, though it would only play older games at any decent resolution. You'd probably get about €100 or so for it on adverts.

Advertisement