Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

attic conversion - ceiling too low

• 14-11-2012 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Despite engaging a structural engineer to design and oversee, the celing of our newly converted attic is 2.37. Needs to be 2.4 to be compliant.

What is the easiest way to remedy? Ceiling built with collar ties, and plastered. We found out ourselves it was too low. this wasn't checked before all the plaster etc was applied.

Yes, we do have an architect and a builder and a structural engineer but frankly I am looking for other opinions. is it at all feasible to drop the floor (expensive as stairs already built but we need to get it right) We have spent too much money on expensive veluxes to have this classed as a storage room only when we go to sell down the line.

Also I want to arm myself with the knowledge of what might be possible before they all try to fob me off with the 'it is substantially compliant' line I have got so far

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What is the overall floor dimensions of the attic area? length x width.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was the attic intended to be 'habitable' from the outset? What area of ceiling was originally intended/specified to be at 2.4m?

You are correct in suggesting that a ceiling height of 2.4m is required to be compliant, but this is only part of the story.

To make a 'habitable' room, the area of ceiling at 2.4m needs to be in excess of 3.0 m.sq. - if this cannot be achieved, not much point in pulling the attic apart to get and additional 30mm of ceiling height.

In addition, if the attic conversion is to an existing two story house and is intended to be 'habitable', have doors down through the house been changed to self closing fire doors in compliance with Part K of the Building Regulations and ceilings/walls checked for fire rating? Is there a fire escape/rescue window from the attic in compliance with Part B of the Building Regulation. Is the stairs to the attic in compliance with Part K of the Building Regulations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

In reply, yes, all other requirements have been met, ie floor area, compliant stairs, fire doors on floor below etc.
    I am completely familiar with what is needed to make it habitable (have spent several hours researching)

What I was looking for here were opinions as to how we can make up the shortfall in the ceiling height.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be glad to hear

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

It would normally be easier to alter the ceiling, but this depends on the construction details used. I certainly wouldn't go at the floor, as this will disrupt the plaster finish on the ceiling below as well as interfering with the stairs as you've said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

Would agree with your architect / engineer that this is substantially compliant, 2.4 is a suggested height as per Technical Guidance Document F, there is no absolute requirement for the ceiling height to be 2.4m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kieranhr

Two questions - what is the floor area covered by a ceiling height of at least 1.5 metres, and what is the floor area covered by the full-height ceiling?

If you can't get this particular ratio right, then it's not going to help even if you get the maximum ceiling height up to 2.4 metres. This ratio is where most attic conversions fail to comply.

But here's another point - these particular ceiling height regulations are part of the ventilation technical guidance document. Maybe you can find another way to provide adequate ventilation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    Despite engaging a structural engineer to design and oversee, the celing of our newly converted attic is 2.37. Needs to be 2.4 to be compliant.

What is the easiest way to remedy? Ceiling built with collar ties, and plastered. We found out ourselves it was too low. this wasn't checked before all the plaster etc was applied.

Yes, we do have an architect and a builder and a structural engineer but frankly I am looking for other opinions. is it at all feasible to drop the floor (expensive as stairs already built but we need to get it right) We have spent too much money on expensive veluxes to have this classed as a storage room only when we go to sell down the line.

Also I want to arm myself with the knowledge of what might be possible before they all try to fob me off with the 'it is substantially compliant' line I have got so far

Thank you

personally, and coming late to this discussion, i think you would be mad to argue for remedial works in order to gain 3 cm of head room in an attic conversion.
    As has been said before:
    1. as this is an existing building, 'substantial compliance' is a lot more applicable than in a new build
    2. the 2.4 height is only a "suggested" dimension in the building regulations
    3. as this 'suggested height' is contained in the ventilation regulations, if adequate ventilation is provided than the issue can be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

Irrespective of what others have said, and I'll be heavily confronted for this, but there is no legal minimum headroom height for a habitable room in a dwelling (well not less than 2.0m). Check with your building control officer if you want confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Irrespective of what others have said, and I'll be heavily confronted for this, but there is no legal minimum headroom height for a habitable room in a dwelling (well not less than 2.0m). Check with your building control officer if you want confirmation.
    Why would you say that? given that the following have already been posted.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    the 2.4 height is only a "suggested" dimension in the building regulations
    shane6977 wrote: »
    2.4 is a suggested height as per Technical Guidance Document F, there is no absolute requirement for the ceiling height to be 2.4m.

And where are you getting the "well not less than 2.0m" from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You raised this very issue some time ago also and I asked you then as I will now....scan and post the written confirmation you received from your local building control officer that was referenced in this post
    TGD F "suggests" a minimum height of 2.4m.

I've just contacted a building control officer for clarification and he said that the 2.4m minimum height restriction was removed in 2005, and is not now enforceable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement