Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a UPC upgrade.

• 14-11-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I asked UPC about upgrading to 50Mb and they told me I have to get a new modem for which they will charge me EUR45. They also kept pushing their phone on me, a service I don't want. I currently have 30mb and the basic TV package.

I've been a customer of them for years. Anyone got any tips about how to upgrade without having to sign up for another package and pay the installation fee.

Normally, I used to ring up and they' upgrade my service and adjust my bill accordingly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you get the new modem, you'll have a contract either way.

From my guesses you'd be paying €39 for the 50mb and €26.50 for the basic tv so €75.50 ?

if you have a recording box already then €74 would get you the top TV tier and the 50mb bundle, but you'd have the phone in there too. Better than paying €1.50 more and having basic tv just to not have phone.

What modl modem do you have?

Far as I know the older modems wont work on the speeds over 30mb, so where before you could upgrade from 15 to 20 to 25 etc, now you need a different modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I have the older Cisco modem. It won't go beyond 30MB.
    Yeah those prices sound right, it's pricey.

Is it not just €2 more than you pay now?

No it's EUR45 for the modem plus I've to get a home phone, which I don't want. In the past you could just upgrade over the phone. Plus they increased their prices several months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

you have to take the phone package to upgrade, I have it and dont have a phone plugged in, i think my bill comes to around 43 a month all in on the 50 Mb line.

obviously i had to buy the newer modem too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

i'm in the same situation, i have 30Mb now and i would like upgrade to 50Mb (solely because it will nearly double my upload speed)

paying €42 a month now (€34.50 for broadband & €7.50 for telephone that i don't use - but having it still saves me 38c a month ;) )

i would have to change that to €39 monthly plus €45 of one time installation fee for new modem which seems fair enough (even though i don't want it as i only need modem not that c*&#py ecp3925 but my current one isn't docsis 3.0 compatible, plus i will never actually own the equipment but i have to pay for it regardless just because they named that "installation fee" not "equipment purchase")

but what is even more irritating - i also need to pay €7.88 standalone charge or get basic phone service for €6.5 plus another €45 for installation - which works out €10.25 a month over 12 month period and that seems a bit silly if you consider that i already have phone from them and i don't exactly want to change anything with my phone package...

it is a shame that they don't have any actual competitor when it comes to broadband ;)

You don't pay another €45 . You pay it once, there's no extra one for the phone.
    Just pick one of the phone and broadband bundles on the website (€44 for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You don't pay another €45 . You pay it once, there's no extra one for the phone.
    Just pick one of the phone and broadband bundles on the website (€44 for example)

ok, just me being dumb then
    i didn't noticed there is another menu

on bundles page, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭moonboy52

/ignore

I'm holding out for the Horizons box before I commit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement