Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ibrahimovic goal v England

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This was leading the GOTS for me, but think Ibra is going to get it this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIJ1gemMCk

Again, reminds me of myself!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's a lovely finish, fairly bizarre bounce on the ball leading up to the English keepers' header. You don't see many like that either (bounces that is, not goals!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

It'l do his confidence a world of good anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Firstly, an absolutely fantastic goal.

But as pointed out in the thread, it could've hit the corner flag.

Imo, Ibra is totally overrated.

A failure at Barca.

I remember during his season at Barca, they were playing a piss poor Zaragoza side away and they were coasting at 3:0 (Messi hat-trick) and he couldn't hit a barn door no matter how many times he was set up.

Zaragoza got it back to 3:2, and Messi got really pissed off (you know when he just gives that look without saying anything).

So Messi gets the ball, beats a load of defenders, gets taken down and wins a peno.

Take the peno and get your fourth of the game while in a neck and neck race for the Pichichi?

No, instead Messi hands the ball to Zlatan so he can get a goal to boost his confidence. He blasts the ball down the middle and luckily for him the keeper had dived too early.

So, as I said, fantastic goal, but a bit less worshipping please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Simply breathtaking.
    This is why I love this sport.
    And it's moments like this that make go out on the pitch week in, week out thinking 'maybe I could score like that'...
    I reckon there'll be Zlatan attempts at all the playgrounds tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I reckon there'll be Zlatan attempts at all the playgrounds tomorrow :D

Well if they want to end up with broken back then by all means;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Firstly, an absolutely fantastic goal.

But as pointed out in the thread, it could've hit the corner flag.

Imo, Ibra is totally overrated.

A failure at Barca.

I remember during his season at Barca, they were playing a piss poor Zaragoza side away and they were coasting at 3:0 (Messi hat-trick) and he couldn't hit a barn door no matter how many times he was set up.

Zaragoza got it back to 3:2, and Messi got really pissed off (you know when he just gives that look without saying anything).

So Messi gets the ball, beats a load of defenders, gets taken down and wins a peno.

Take the peno and get your fourth of the game while in a neck and neck race for the Pichichi?

No, instead Messi hands the ball to Zlatan so he can get a goal to boost his confidence. He blasts the ball down the middle and luckily for him the keeper had dived too early.

So, as I said, fantastic goal, but a bit less worshipping please.

What's this 'it could've hit the corner flag'? I'm guessing it means it was a fluke, a hit and hope shot. It was as clear as day he meant it and knew somehow what he was doing. It was magic. I'm chuffed I seen it live as I couldn't believe what I seen unlike if I had watched on say a YouTube clip.

I still can't get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Poor defending there Bill.

More scuffed knees and €20,000 claims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Kinda goal that makes you wanna quit footbal knowing you'd never be able to pull something off. Thing about Ibra he had to be what he is. Could you imagine him walking around the docks in Malmo as some non skilled worker, or just in everyday life working a 9-5? Nooo. He's blessed he got talent!

To me this is what makes that goal one of the best I've ever seen. I've scored some unreal goals myself, and seen some quality goals scored in matches I've played in, but never ever would you see something like this imo...ever.
    I've seen people score goals like his one for Ajax, I've seen people score Maradona esque dribbles, I've seen people lob the keeper from inside own half, seen people hit volleys first time from some insane angel but never this. It is truly unique. It was beautiful.

p8iLD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Top 3. Cheeky Messi forcing him out of Barca...

Say what now?

It was Pep, and as a Barca fan I don't regret Ibra leaving, I do how ever regret that Eto'o left.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Brilliant goal alright but I prefer Trevor Sinclairs goal for QPR in the FA Cup in 97. Overhead kick outside the box from a cross. Absolute peach. Never forgot it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

People are taking the p1ss; there was nobody in the goal, nobody challenging him. Great technique and balls to attempt it but would hardly call it goal of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I'm still trying to work out the Justin Beiber(?) reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I wouldn't call it anything like the best goal ever, but I honestly can't think of any other player who would score that goal. The quickness of thought to hit it like that and the agility and skill to pull it off - an Ibra goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Great goal, still doesn't top this beauty from Rivaldo though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Raekwon wrote: »
    Great goal, still doesn't top this beauty from Rivaldo though!

Actually, the goal tonight was much better, for a few reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seaneh wrote: »

Go on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

People are taking the p1ss; there was nobody in the goal, nobody challenging him. Great technique and balls to attempt it but would hardly call it goal of the month.

Understating it a bit there boss

Agreed, so much more crucial. Zlatans was only against England, sure thats no big deal ;)

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Go on....

The fact that he knew what he was going to do before Hart even touched the ball, he was watching, turned and just waited for the ball to drop over his shoulder before going for it, he knew exactly what he was trying to do before it even happened.

Rivaldo basically just misscontrolled the ball to his chest with his first touch and then tried the overhead.

Ibra's control for his second goal was what Rivaldo was trying to do for the goal he scored against Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Funniest part of the night was the England fans singing "1-0 and you fúcked it up!" at 39 minutes gone.

"2-1 och Zlatan knullade dig!" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2233152/Jamie-Redknapp-Nothing-stop-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-show.html

Jamie Redknapp -
    last night the world woke up to the mighty Zlatan.

Fuck. Off. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The fact that he knew what he was going to do before Hart even touched the ball, he was watching, turned and just waited for the ball to drop over his shoulder before going for it, he knew exactly what he was trying to do before it even happened.

Rivaldo basically just misscontrolled the ball to his chest with his first touch and then tried the overhead.

Ibra's control for his season goal was what Rivaldo was trying to do for the goal he scored against Valencia.

What goal are you talking about?

If it is the bicycle kick from 30 yards at the start of this thread... you are talking through your freaking hoop.

Ibrahimovic most likely (almost certainly) did not know he was going to bicycle kick it BEFORE Hart weakly headed it away - he stops because he isn't getting there and would have fouled Hart had he continued running.

We'll get on to the Rivaldo 'miscontrol' in a second....but....

How in the crap is Ibrahimovic's control what Rivaldo was trying to do initially? What the hell are you talking about? Ibrahimovic kicks it first time - HE DOESN'T TRY TO CONTROL IT so how the hell is his control what Rivaldo meant to do?

And saying the quite clear attempt from Rivaldo to bump the ball up with his chest in the first instance is a miscontrol is laughable - the fact he reacts so quickly and perfectly to the 'miscontrol' shows it isn't a miscontrol in the first place. You are just taking the piss trying to be argumentative - misscontrolled the ball to his chest with his first touch... the control on his chest WAS his first touch.

Both goals were excellently taken - no need to lie about them to make one better.

How in the crap is Ibrahimovic's control what Rivaldo was trying to do initially? What the hell are you talking about? Ibrahimovic kicks it first time - HE DOESN'T TRY TO CONTROL IT so how the hell is his control what Rivaldo meant to do?

Calm down and read what I actually said Mitchell.
    "Ibra's control for his second goal was what Rivaldo was trying to do"

The goal where he trapped it with his chest.

That is what Rivaldo was trying to do, he didn't mean to flick it into the air, he mant to trap it and misscontrolled it.
    And saying the quite clear attempt from Rivaldo to bump the ball up with his chest in the first instance is a miscontrol is laughable - the fact he reacts so quickly and perfectly to the 'miscontrol' shows it isn't a miscontrol in the first place. You are just taking the piss trying to be argumentative - misscontrolled the ball to his chest with his first touch... the control on his chest WAS his first touch.

I disagree, I think Rivaldo meant to trap the ball and take it down. The fact that when the ball is played to him there are no fewer than 5 Barcelona players within 10 yards of him, 2 of which are ahead of him, in the box, leads me to believe that what planned to do was take it down and play it to either one of the players running onto it, the player who is square with him or one of the two players who was ahead of him, because that is the only logical thing to do in that position.

Both goals were excellently taken - no need to lie about them to make one better.

It's not a lie Mithell, don't be so techy, it is how I see the goal, now calm down and eat your corn flakes, you're fierce grumpy in the morning, do you want a cuddle?

Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The sad thing is how the Zlatan love just shot out last night, and points I make (as a long time fan) get belittled as "jumping the bandwagon"

People who call him over rated, I literally just make a mental note in my head " opinion on football forever irrelevant".

Its one of those things that just boggles the mind to see how someone doesn't appreciate his last ten years. And the simple answer is falling inline with the sky pundits.

He has played English teams a handful of times in the CL and the English media write him off as over rated, because he doesn't light the place ablaze. Then when he does against Arsenal the story is spun how "Arsenal let him play".

He has been the most prolific striker in the last what, 8 years? He wins leagues like his picking up his Christmas present, every year, on the clock, league medal. And he usually chips in with about 20+ goals a year too.

Over rated my hole, very few strikers in the last 8 years can stake a strong claim of being stronger then Zlatan.

As for Redknapps comments, hes a ****ing moron. Anyone who had the broadest of minds to look at football outside of "mighty England" would know there has been nobody close to Zlatan in the last number of years. The world didn't wake up, the English media finally caught up.

He has won, a league title, every, single , year since 2001 - 2011.

Just reflect on that for a second, he has won, a league title, every year, for ten years.
    Five different clubs, three different leagues. And has an outstanding goalscoring record.

And currently sitting on 12 strikes in 14 games for PSG, I'd expect another league title and 20+ for him this year.

The Irish lads should be rightly, ****ting their bricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

TheDoc wrote: »
    The sad thing is how the Zlatan love just shot out last night, and points I make (as a long time fan) get belittled as "jumping the bandwagon"

People who call him over rated, I literally just make a mental note in my head " opinion on football forever irrelevant".

Its one of those things that just boggles the mind to see how someone doesn't appreciate his last ten years. And the simple answer is falling inline with the sky pundits.

He has played English teams a handful of times in the CL and the English media write him off as over rated, because he doesn't light the place ablaze. Then when he does against Arsenal the story is spun how "Arsenal let him play".

He has been the most prolific striker in the last what, 8 years? He wins leagues like his picking up his Christmas present, every year, on the clock, league medal. And he usually chips in with about 20+ goals a year too.

Over rated my hole, very few strikers in the last 8 years can stake a strong claim of being stronger then Zlatan.

As for Redknapps comments, hes a ****ing moron. Anyone who had the broadest of minds to look at football outside of "mighty England" would know there has been nobody close to Zlatan in the last number of years. The world didn't wake up, the English media finally caught up.

He has won, a league title, every, single , year since 2001 - 2011.

Just reflect on that for a second, he has won, a league title, every year, for ten years.
    Five different clubs, three different leagues. And has an outstanding goalscoring record.

And currently sitting on 12 strikes in 14 games for PSG, I'd expect another league title and 20+ for him this year.

The Irish lads should be rightly, ****ting their bricks

I think this is very over-the-top, to be honest. England play Sweden a lot and until the last couple of games Ibrahimovic hasn't showed up. When he has played against English sides in the Champions League until the last couple of games Ibrahimovic hasn't turned up. Coverage of Italian football and Dutch football isn't great in England and he was sidelined a lot in his spell in Spain.

So the Zlatan that the English public usually saw and the Zlatan that we'd heard about were like two different players. Saying that he never turns up against English opposition has become a cliché, especially after his last two games and his performance against Arsenal last year but it was a cliché that, like it or not, was based on something.

No knocking his record, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Spot on, TheDoc. The tunnel vision of the UK tabloid TV and press is reflected in the forum here, particularly awesome is how, when the UK pundits wow a player the "fans" here slavishly follow.

How many times re Ibrahimovic have I seen

"Youtube footballer" Certainly plenty of evidence of his quality on the web.

"Barca failure" - yep, half a goal a game in a side centred around another goalscorer. Would that you club should have such a failure on their books.

He did not suddenly become a great player just last night, or just this season, or just because Sky said so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

God help us, we now have Zlatan hipsters. "I thought he was good before this" :D

It was a great goal, not many people would even try it. Bizarrly, I think it's something Robbie Keane would try. And fail badly.
    I don't get "it could have hit the corner flag" argument. Maradona could have had the ball nicked away from him in 86.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Which is better? Ibrahimovic's or Sinclair's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I can't see that video at the moment but I do remember the goal well. A great hit. I think Zlatan's is better personally.

My personal favourite goal prior to last night was Matt Le Tissier's dribble and 35 yard lob vs Blackburn in 1994/95(?). What I like about both goals being that so few other players would even have the cheek of trying to score from those positions, let alone the technical ability to pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cienciano wrote: »
    God help us, we now have Zlatan hipsters. "I thought he was good before this" :D

It was a great goal, not many people would even try it. Bizarrly, I think it's something Robbie Keane would try. And fail badly.
    I don't get "it could have hit the corner flag" argument. Maradona could have had the ball nicked away from him in 86.

It is getting unbearable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

2 Eredivisie, 3 Serie A (5 if you count the revoked Juve titles), 1 La Liga, 6x Domestic Cups, 2x Seria A top goalscorer, 4x Serie A foreign footballer of the year, 3x Serie Footballer of the year 2x UEFA team of the year, 1x Golden Foot, and a goal ratio of 1 in 2 in a 500+ match (and still banging them in) career

Totally overrated though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

People talking about it being the best goal ever....was it even Ibrahimovi's best goal ever?

(I know they're very different goals and it's like comparing chalk & cheese before anyone says it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

^ I dont think it was, and neither does he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ya, but could he do it on a wet night in the Brita...

All jokes aside, I'm a little surprised he has never given the PL a try (especially given his comments on Gerrard trying to play elsewhere).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Laois_Man wrote: »
    People talking about it being the best goal ever....was it even Ibrahimovi's best goal ever?

(I know they're very different goals and it's like comparing chalk & cheese before anyone says it)

I slightly prefer this one to his one last night. The footwork and balance here is amazing, especially when you consider he is 6'5. That sort of balance is something you associate with someone who has a much lower center of gravity.

But you can't take anything away from the goal last night. I love watching the behind the goal angle, the way he adjusts, watches the ball and launches himself into the air. Amazing agility, his taekwondo skills definitely helped him there.

I'm not a big fan of comparing or arguing over this goal is better than that goal. Goals of this quality are very rare, they are really works of art that everyone should just appreciate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Cienciano wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHA you actually could see him trying it hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

That is a great goal but as regards people calling it the greatest of all time, cmon like. For starters the fact it was scored in a friendly takes the shine off it slightly.

Brilliant goal, but nearing the best of all time? Not a hope. If it was pulled off in a world cup knockout stage, it would be a contender, but a midweek international friendly takes some of the GOAT slant off it.

People lose the run of themselves on all this greatest goal business. Not long ago Rooney vs City was voted the greatest goal in the history of the EPL. It isnt even Rooneys best personal goal let alone labelling it the best anyone has scored in 20 years- it wasnt even the best one of that season ffs! Dont know what clowns come up with some of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Is that really a sad thing though? It's pathetic that it even really bothers you. Enjoy his play, enjoy the fact other people are finally coming around to acknowledging his skill, and move on with your life. Hardly that big a deal.......

Also, that Sinclair goal is better, to bicycle kick it, on the volley, with a defender tight to you, and a keeper in the goal, from a cross that high. Unreal. Zlatan's was one of the best I've seen in a few seasons though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

188415_10151511135928243_989590062_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and he was booked for the celebration.

that ref needs to be stoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What's this 'it could've hit the corner flag'? I'm guessing it means it was a fluke, a hit and hope shot. It was as clear as day he meant it and knew somehow what he was doing. It was magic. I'm chuffed I seen it live as I couldn't believe what I seen unlike if I had watched on say a YouTube clip.

I still can't get over it

Yeah, in a way it was a hit and hope. He knew he had a lot of the goal to aim at with the keeper being out of position, he done brilliant to get the ball back over the keeper and the defenders, but he hardly "picked his spot", did he? So there was an element of luck to it, but credit to his athleticism for getting the shot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Anyone saying that was not the greatest goal ever is obviously a bitter Man United fan going mad because he stole rooneys best Bicycle Kick EVER :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I don't know about greatest goal ever.
    But it was absolutely brilliant. Might not see anything comparable for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

He must be one of the most naturally gifted footballers in the world.

Its who it is that makes the goal better. Its not just pot luck its everything great about Zlatan as a footballer coming together to score one of the most unique goals you'll ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

SlickRic wrote: »
    and he was booked for the celebration.

that ref needs to be stoned.

He removed his jersey :confused:

The ref should change the rule because it was a great goal?

Bressan's goal is insane but there's something about Zlatan's that makes me prefer it, maybe because it happened less than 24 hours ago and I saw it live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement