Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ibrahimovic goal v England

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

It was a wonderful goal because of the tecnique and distance etc but what the fcuk were the defenders up to? They both ran towards goal. One could have challenged for the ball making his strike much harder to carry off.

One of Merson's Worldys(ies?) no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dub XV wrote: »
    He removed his jersey :confused:

The ref should change the rule because it was a great goal?

The governing body should change the rule coz it's stupid rule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It was a wonderful goal because of the tecnique and distance etc but what the fcuk were the defenders up to? They both ran towards goal. One could have challenged for the ball making his strike much harder to carry off.

One of Merson's Worldys(ies?) no doubt.

There isnt a defender on the planet who would have expected Zlatan to do that so running back to cover the goal was 100% the right thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The governing body should change the rule coz it's stupid rule.

It's not.

Players need to keep their jerseys (with numbers on them obviously) to make them easily identifiable to match officals.

Why players keep doing it when they know they are gonna be booked is beyond me. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It's not.

Players need to keep their jerseys (with numbers on them obviously) to make them easily identifiable to match officals.

Why players keep doing it when they know they are gonna be booked is beyond me. :confused:

Let's be honest - the rule is in place because of pressure from sponsors.

I agree on the second part though. It's not the ref who is to blame for the players getting yellow cards for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It's not.

It's not that hard for the ref to guess who is who. They'll eventually put their jersey on again.
    I just wanna see some hot bodies!

I agree with the second part though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

To be honest I thought Taison's Van Basten-esque goal had the goal of the year for 2012 wrapped up:

...but now I'm not so sure. Incredible goal from Ibrahimovic.

I think this goal(taison's) is better. Great strike, great pass and perfect placing. Zlatan's was a series of errors finished off by a great individual strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Hart was awful for this goal. Great strike from Ibra but no need for Hart to be off his line with two covering defenders in a good place to stop Ibra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Melion wrote: »
    There isnt a defender on the planet who would have expected Zlatan to do that so running back to cover the goal was 100% the right thing to do.

:eek: So run away and see what he can do?

Whoops that didn't work. Hodgson will not be happy with that defending even if it was a little bit of magic that followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I'm not sure what's more amazing.

The sheer technique of Ibra's goal, or the fact West Brom's Jonas Olsson got to touch him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If only this man had commentated on the match last night:

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭EEm

Possibly 3rd best player in the world.

Genius. Never gets talked about being one of the greats. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Seaneh wrote: »
    That is what Rivaldo was trying to do, he didn't mean to flick it into the air, he mant to trap it and misscontrolled it.

Lol what a stupid interpretation of that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I think Rooney's against City was the best goal I've ever seen. This was good but I don't get all the love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,20699_8249316,00.html

Paul Merson has a good point!! :P

Unbelievable goal though, not looking forward to Ireland v Sweden now... Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

hefferboi wrote: »
    I think Rooney's against City was the best goal I've ever seen. This was good but I don't get all the love.

Is that the goal that Rooney shinned into the net?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's not even Rooney's best goal.

You have to forgive the English media and the likes of Jamie 'Nice Guy' Redknapp, cos to be honest they do not watch football outside of England. They only ever see Zlatan when he played against EPL teams and tbh up to now, he didn't have the greatest record against them.

They would not have seen him winning all them league titles and being awarded player of the season etc, as they do not care what happens outside of the almighty EPL.

Can't abide tubes like Redknapp and Shearer. Can't remember the player involved, but Shearer recently said in his analysis of a game about some guy who plays in a different league, "to be honest I don't know much about him ..." - you're getting paid a fortune by the BBC to give your POV on games, WATCH FOOTBALL OUTSIDE OF THE EPL and learn about some players playing abroad, you numbnuts.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's not even Rooney's best goal.

Arguably. Rooney's goal was harder to score than Ibra's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Isn't a reason for getting booked for taking off your shirt is that it can be seen as incitement to supporters? That's what I always thought anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Corholio wrote: »
    Isn't a reason for getting booked for taking off your shirt is that it can be seen as incitement to supporters? That's what I always thought anyway.

I thought it was to prevent them revealing messages underneath....don't they get booked just for lifting it up?

The cynic in me believes the sponsors are the cause though.:D

Edit: Apparently they only get booked when it goes over their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Iirc the 'official' reason for a player not being allowed to celebrate by taking his top off was crowd incitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Arguably. Rooney's goal was harder to score than Ibra's.

Arguably his overhead was slightly mistimed because it came off his shin and he got lucky that it flew in.

Unlike the volley against Newcastle which was perfection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I think an earlier post sums it up best - it's the fact he even went for it, and it came off that made it brilliant. From a technically point of view it's not that impressive, what with it being an open goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I think an earlier post sums it up best - it's the fact he even went for it, and it came off that made it brilliant. From a technically point of view it's not that impressive, what with it being an open goal.

This, it's the fact he attempted it and pulled it off that's so amazing, the goal itself... I've seen better.

For example, it's (imo) not better than Bressan's goal when at Fiorentina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlrN1Sq_cE

Voted 2nd best Champions League goal ever.

• Advertisement

Arguably his overhead was slightly mistimed because it came off his shin and he got lucky that it flew in.

Yeah the volley against Newcastle was class but there's goals scored like that a lot. There's rarely an overhead kick scored in such a big game.

Slightly mistimed or not it still went straight into the top corner, with a keeper in the goal, he had less time to steady himself than Ibra and it was from a cross, not a looping header.

And in my opinion Ibra was luckier than Rooney. It's still a class goal but I just reckon Rooney's was better. Even that goal posted earlier was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah the volley against Newcastle was class but there's goals scored like that a lot. There's rarely an overhead kick scored in such a big game.

Slightly mistimed or not it still went straight into the top corner, with a keeper in the goal, he had less time to steady himself than Ibra and it was from a cross, not a looping header.

And in my opinion Ibra was luckier than Rooney. It's still a class goal but I just reckon Rooney's was better. Even that goal posted earlier was better.

To be fair Andy Carroll nearly scored an overhead kick once...it's not that difficult. :pac:

Now here's my favourite volley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAnHIkaFy9Q

I'm a sucker for a volley that is hit so hard that it almost breaks the net so, yeah, for me Rooney's goal vs Newcastle is his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Turtyturd wrote: »

To be fair Andy Carroll nearly scored an overhead kick once...it's not that difficult. :pac:

... But he was trying to control the ball...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Seen the news last night on ITV and they are calling it the greatest goal ever, flipping hell i can think of 3 of the top of my head that are better

Marco Van Basten's volley
    Reberto Carlos freekick
    This George Best one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Seen the news last night on ITV and they are calling it the greatest goal ever, flipping hell i can think of 3 of the top of my head that are better

Marco Van Basten's volley
    Reberto Carlos freekick
    This George Best one

It's subjective.

In my opinion it was a better goal than any of those three and any other goal I've ever seen. But that's just what that is - my opinion. Don't get worked up over the fact that you hold a different opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Thought Zlatan's 2nd was beautiful and a better goal. The control was just perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rooneys goal was fine goal, but IMO its overrated and he did not connect with proper. At least Zlatan goal had perfect technique.

I dont think his goal was best goal I have seen but cracking goal that will live long in memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

People who are writing it off dont seem to realise how hard it is just to connect with an overhead kick, let alone score with one. I've tried it twice in my life. Once it hit my knee and bounced harmlessly away, the other time I missed it completely. It takes a lot to be even able to connect with one, even Rooney made a mess of his but got away with it. Ibrahimovic's was pretty much perfect. Not sure if its the best goal ever, but it is definitely the best I've seen in a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    People who are writing it off dont seem to realise how hard it is just to connect with an overhead kick, let alone score with one. I've tried it twice in my life. Once it hit my knee and bounced harmlessly away, the other time I missed it completely. It takes a lot to be even able to connect with one, even Rooney made a mess of his but got away with it. Ibrahimovic's was pretty much perfect. Not sure if its the best goal ever, but it is definitely the best I've seen in a very long time.

In fairness it's a lot easier to connect with the one he scored than one that's crossed in like most are, ball was bouncing vertically for him. Not downplaying the goal at all, but just connecting with it wasn't very hard really.

Corholio wrote: »
    In fairness it's a lot easier to connect with the one he scored than one that's crossed in like most are, ball was bouncing vertically for him. Not downplaying the goal at all, but just connecting with it wasn't very hard really.
    Exactly. He had a lot of time to adjust himself compared to a cross being drilled at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Regardless, his timing was impeccable and positioning was exquisite.
    No such thing as luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It hit off his shin ffs :pac: if he was wearing a different brand of shin guard it probably would have hit the corner flag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Crazy it went in off the shin looking so classy. The most remarkable thing about that goal was Rooney actually displaying that sort of athleticism. He really doesn't look capable of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Matias Almeyda's for Lazio is still my favourite volley ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

:eek: So run away and see what he can do?

Whoops that didn't work. Hodgson will not be happy with that defending even if it was a little bit of magic that followed.

Are you serious??? FFS

The defenders where running towards the goal at full tilt when joe hart headed the ball, Ibrahimovich hits the ball no more than two seconds later.

It would actually have been impossible for them speed to stop at that speed, turn around and close the 10 metres and get a tackle in on Ibrahimovich in those 2 seconds.

They also weren't to know Hart's header would only go 5 yards and Ibrahimovich would try a nearly impossible overhead kick. So yes they made the right, yet futile, decision to try stop the ball from going over the line.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Rooneys goal was fine goal, but IMO its overrated and he did not connect with proper. At least Zlatan goal had perfect technique.

I dont think his goal was best goal I have seen but cracking goal that will live long in memory

Unreal...

That's like saying Einsteins theory of relativity isn't as good as x other theory because when he wrote it up he forgot to dot an i

I haven't even thouoght about which was better tbh I just enjoyed both

But now that I do, Rooney's was coming at a far greater pace than Zlatan's. With Rooney's there was more chance of mis-hitting it, while Zlatan's kind of hung it the air for him and he belted it. Rooney's hit was slightly off the bottom of his shin but it was just perfect trajectory after it left his foot

Zlantans though...could be argued that it was more spectacular because it was further out maybe? Genius goal all the same

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The best part of this was where he more or less read the flight of the ball before Hart even headed it. Amazing finish, he is probably the only striker in the world capable of pulling a goal like that off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

parc wrote: »
    Unreal...

That's like saying Einsteins theory of relativity isn't as good as x other theory because when he wrote it up he forgot to dot an i

But now that I do, Rooney's was coming at a far greater pace than Zlatan's. With Rooney's there was more chance of mis-hitting it, while Zlatan's kind of hung it the air for him and he belted it. Rooney's hit was slightly off the bottom of his shin but it was just perfect trajectory after it left his foot

Zlantans though...could be argued that it was more spectacular because it was further out maybe? Genius goal all the same

He did mis-hit it, it came off his shin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

parc wrote: »
    Unreal...

Unreal..

He did miss hit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Jesus what a goal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

zerks wrote: »

Has a centre back ever scored a better goal? Beaut.

Advertisement