Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family History Search - Cashin's Lane

Options
  • 14-11-2012 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im doing a bit of family tree research and you might be able to help me out with something.

In the 1901 census, my Great Grandfather would have been around 15 years old. My Grandfather doesn't know his father's exact birth date and we're trying to find that through the census.

He would have lived in a laneway near the end of Barrack St and top of Newgate street called Cashin's Lane.

Has anyone ever heard of this lane? Its covered up with buildings now but I can't find it anywhere on google or on the census. Grandad is certain though thats where his father lived.

Im wondering was there a different official name on the lane other than Cashin's lane?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Apparently on the ordinance survey website you can bring up a current map of city and overlay it with an older map which would have streets and that that no longer exist. Might be worth a try?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im doing a bit of family tree research and you might be able to help me out with something.

In the 1901 census, my Great Grandfather would have been around 15 years old. My Grandfather doesn't know his father's exact birth date and we're trying to find that through the census.

He would have lived in a laneway near the end of Barrack St and top of Newgate street called Cashin's Lane.

Has anyone ever heard of this lane? Its covered up with buildings now but I can't find it anywhere on google or on the census. Grandad is certain though thats where his father lived.

Im wondering was there a different official name on the lane other than Cashin's lane?

Thanks a lot!

Go into osi maps www.osi.ie and it should be there. It should say explore maps using free viewer or something like that. It might be a bit of work but you should be able to find it there. You can get maps from the 1800's or maybe the early 1900's and will be able to put and arial view from 2005 (i think) over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks! No sign of it on the OSI. Interestingly theres no Cashin's lane on the 1901 survey but there is a Casher's Lane but its gone by the 1911 survey. No sign of anyone I recognise on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

I have a few pages from a book called "Ballybricken and Thereabouts" published in the early 1990s giving a lot of info on the history of Waterford and there's a list of disappeared streets and lanes in it. Among about 50 entries is "Cashen's Lane, - off Newgate St."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Didn't you try just the surname of your GGF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Is it true that there was a lane in the city called Duck shít lane? and another lane called teapot alley?

I have a few pages from a book called "Ballybricken and Thereabouts" published in the early 1990s giving a lot of info on the history of Waterford and there's a list of disappeared streets and lanes in it. Among about 50 entries is "Cashen's Lane, - off Newgate St."

I wonder was there a misinterpretation of the r and n in the handwriting on the census. There's no Cashens lane but there is a Cashers lane listed. Either way my GGD's family isn't listed there for some reason. Back to square 1!

SPQRI wrote: »
    Didn't you try just the surname of your GGF?
    It's not that easy I'm afraid. His name was very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I wonder was there a misinterpretation of the r and n in the handwriting on the census. There's no Cashens lane but there is a Cashers lane listed. Either way my GGD's family isn't listed there for some reason. Back to square 1!

It's not that easy I'm afraid. His name was very common.

Yes, it appears it is a transcription error as it is listed as Cashens lane on the enumerators form
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001236002/

Only 4 of the 5 houses are inhabited at that time according to that form.
    Did you check each individual household? As one does have a 16 year old nephew with a different surname listed with them.

Yeah it's odd because I'd have expected to see a few of them in the house with the same surname. I'll have to go back and check with my grandfather to see. Interesting stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

This got a mention in this week's news and star too. Hopefully it might help a bit

• Advertisement

This got a mention in this week's news and star too. Hopefully it might help a bit

What was mentioned??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

What was mentioned??

It was just the feature where they take people's tweets and things mentioned on boards. Pretty much all of your OP I think.

Advertisement