Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantly tired

• 14-11-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey

I am motivated and know what I want but I just seem to crash in the evenings once I get home as I travel back and forth!
    Not good for 540 points lol

Anyone out there the same? Have got A's and B's in inclass tests and assignments but feel I should be studying my socks off but honestly - I am exhausted when I get home!!!!!
    Good or bad?

Anyone have advice to beat this? :rolleyes: Also, I was gonna make notes for the next week or two for the xmas tests! Waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I did the LC only a few months ago, and believe me I was shattered during the whole year. I know you've probably heard this a million times before, but seriously getting enough sleep and having a proper diet works wonders. Try to be in bed before 10, in all honesty you probably won't be doing any productive work after 9, so it's definitely worth it getting into bed at that time.

Make sure to get your daily intake of vitamins, preferably not by tablets. Fresh fruit and veg are the way to go, it may seem the obvious thing to do and many people think they eat enough of it, but in reality they don't get close. The amount of people who have complained about being tired all the time, and had about one portion of fruit/veg a day! It really does work wonders.

Also avoid refined sugars. It's definitely okay to treat yourself, trust me I ate a lot of it during the LC- it's a very comforting snack! But relying on it as a source of fuel and brain food isn't the way to go! You'll just feel sluggish! Get plenty of fibre!

Just make sure you take care of yourself. You're obviously a very smart person with high goals, but don't burn out. It's too early in the year to be worrying about doing extra work. Just do your bit for the Christmas tests if you have them and RELAX :) Take a warm bath, go for a walk, snuggle in front of the fire with a film. Trust me I know how you feel, it definitely is a tough year, and it's made worse by the fact that you actually want to work but are just too tired!!

Anyways I don't know if that helped at all, and half of it probably doesn't make sense as I'm shattered tired and can't make head nor tail of myself :P (the work doesn't stop after the LC! College is a barrel of fun :P)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Siobhnk wrote: »
    I did the LC only a few months ago, and believe me I was shattered during the whole year. I know you've probably heard this a million times before, but seriously getting enough sleep and having a proper diet works wonders. Try to be in bed before 10, in all honesty you probably won't be doing any productive work after 9, so it's definitely worth it getting into bed at that time.

Make sure to get your daily intake of vitamins, preferably not by tablets. Fresh fruit and veg are the way to go, it may seem the obvious thing to do and many people think they eat enough of it, but in reality they don't get close. The amount of people who have complained about being tired all the time, and had about one portion of fruit/veg a day! It really does work wonders.

Also avoid refined sugars. It's definitely okay to treat yourself, trust me I ate a lot of it during the LC- it's a very comforting snack! But relying on it as a source of fuel and brain food isn't the way to go! You'll just feel sluggish! Get plenty of fibre!

Just make sure you take care of yourself. You're obviously a very smart person with high goals, but don't burn out. It's too early in the year to be worrying about doing extra work. Just do your bit for the Christmas tests if you have them and RELAX :) Take a warm bath, go for a walk, snuggle in front of the fire with a film. Trust me I know how you feel, it definitely is a tough year, and it's made worse by the fact that you actually want to work but are just too tired!!

Anyways I don't know if that helped at all, and half of it probably doesn't make sense as I'm shattered tired and can't make head nor tail of myself :P (the work doesn't stop after the LC! College is a barrel of fun :P)

Good luck!

I have been feeling like a right snot the last two weeks doing the minimum ie homework and shizz.. I am worried but I am only human too and I am so so tired! I will give the aul diet and sleep thing a go because my diet has taken a battering with rubbish lately..:(
    Thank you x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Get up 5 mins early and do a bit of skipping and then take a good shower. Daily exercise is good and will give you a good outlook from the start of the day.

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    I have been feeling like a right snot the last two weeks doing the minimum ie homework and shizz.. I am worried but I am only human too and I am so so tired! I will give the aul diet and sleep thing a go because my diet has taken a battering with rubbish lately..:(
    Thank you x

Good stuff! Just as a matter of interest, what course do you want to do that has you aiming so high?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

Hey

I am motivated and know what I want but I just seem to crash in the evenings once I get home as I travel back and forth!

Anyone out there the same? Have got A's and B's in inclass tests and assignments but feel I should be studying my socks off but honestly - I am exhausted when I get home!!!!!
    Good or bad?

Anyone have advice to beat this? :rolleyes: Also, I was gonna make notes for the next week or two for the xmas tests! Waste of time?

Hi! I'm feeling the exact same and Im aiming for 480 It's so exhausting and sometimes I feel down and out a bloody emotional wreck!!! It's 12.30 and Ive just finished up having started at 6 and i feel unproductive!!!! Running is my release and healthy eating too it's definently the way to go oh and CAFFEINE BERROCCA BOOST AND MORE CAFFEINE! May I ask what you need a massive 540 for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good diet/exercise and fresh fruit and veg sounds better to me than artificial caffeine boosters. They can have very bad effects on some people.

OP, it might be worth a quick trip to the doctor for a blood test to rule out anything more serious. Just in case.

Children's and General Nursing Intergrated UCC

It's 525 but there's only 20-25 places so aiming above it for a guarantee!

Would also be happy with General Nursing though @ 450
    But Children's and General is the number 1 aim :)

Kenbob wrote: »
    Hi! I'm feeling the exact same and Im aiming for 480 It's so exhausting and sometimes I feel down and out a bloody emotional wreck!!! It's 12.30 and Ive just finished up having started at 6 and i feel unproductive!!!! Running is my release and healthy eating too it's definently the way to go oh and CAFFEINE BERROCCA BOOST AND MORE CAFFEINE! May I ask what you need a massive 540 for?

Was on Berocca for two months and found it grand but got bad headaches.. Tried Black coffee, definately keeps me awake in the day but got the digestive system moving if you know what I mean:rolleyes:

I agree with Spurious about the blood test. I got one done during the year, just as a precaution but thankfully nothing was wrong... But if it is concerning you it's no harm to get it checked. Better safe than sorry!

Ah good choice!! :P I'm doing general nursing in UCD, so if you have any questions regarding nursing just give me a PM! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

get down to your local chemist as soon as possible and on their recommendation get a good multivitamin .. it is hard to get the full requirements of vits and mins through fruit & veg alone (not that you rule them out; they are very good and absolutely essential in the diet) but you may need a top up, esp this year. make sure it has a good Bgroup content as you use vitamin B's to metabolise your food (that is release the energy from the food you eat) and if you are lacking in vit B group vitamins it can make you more tired, lacking in energy, depressed and it also affects your memory. the blood test in the doctors would help pinpoint a particular vitamin that would be lacking in your diet.
    and as others said, get enough sleep -- and quality sleep at that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Went through very similar myself in 6th year so I can completely relate!

Make sure you're eating a good breakfast in the morning. Porridge is fantastic and you can easily add in some fruit to make up one of your daily portions. And as everyone else has said, make sure you're eating well as a whole. Going to bed early is an obvious one but I found that even when I did, I'd still sleep roughly, constantly waking up or just not getting to sleep at all. Make sure you take some time off to unwind between stopping work and going to bed, otherwise your brain will just be fried when you do try to sleep (it always was for me, anyway :P)

When I was in your position last year it all got too much around January and I had to ask my parents to let me stay off for a few days just to recover from the exhaustion. Don't be afraid to take some time off if you need it. My parents were a bit skeptical at first but I explained to them that I was as unfit to function in school as I would have been if I had a stomach bug or any kind of illness. So I took a couple of days off and came back all the better for it.

Also one last thing I'd advise is if you are feeling that you can't get everything done, see what you can prioritise. I always knew what teachers I'd absolutely HAVE to do homework for, and which ones I'd be able to have a quiet word with before or after class and explain that I was having problems. It's probably not good advice but in reality, there will be some nights/weeks where you can't do absolutely everything and some things will have to suffer. Also try to see the bigger picture too - your English teacher might give out to you for not handing in an essay on time, say, but that doesn't mean that you won't do well in your English exam (just using a random example).

In the end it all worked out for me and I got 560 points, had been aiming for about 520 so you can do really well! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

As leaveiton said I'd advise you to prioritise, but it's also no harm to leave out work thats useless...this would be likely since you're repeating e.g. stuff might be being redone for others but you're more comfortable with it, you know? I found in geography my teacher was doing that (I didnt repeat, he was just weird), and in French we'd do tenses over and over so I just stopped doing the work and did what would help me personally.

Sleepwise I'd say its no harm to wake up a bit before you get up, to get a "lie-in" and maybe even take some berocca - but they're not real energy and you can crash quite easily by taking them too often. I took them every day during the LC, then slept for a long time, but it paid off! :P

I do remember being absolutely, horrendously exhausted towards the end of 6th year and tbh I can still see bags under my eyes despite how much sleep I got...but just try not to push yourself too hard. It's easy to go too hard on yourself I think, I definitely got annoyed at myself for not doing enough work etc when my eyes would be falling out of my head from lack of sleep, but I ended up getting more than the points I needed - whether or not that was a good thing was debatable from the strain it took. :P

Good luck anyway! :)

leaveiton wrote: »
    Went through very similar myself in 6th year so I can completely relate!

Make sure you're eating a good breakfast in the morning. Porridge is fantastic and you can easily add in some fruit to make up one of your daily portions. And as everyone else has said, make sure you're eating well as a whole. Going to bed early is an obvious one but I found that even when I did, I'd still sleep roughly, constantly waking up or just not getting to sleep at all. Make sure you take some time off to unwind between stopping work and going to bed, otherwise your brain will just be fried when you do try to sleep (it always was for me, anyway :P)

When I was in your position last year it all got too much around January and I had to ask my parents to let me stay off for a few days just to recover from the exhaustion. Don't be afraid to take some time off if you need it. My parents were a bit skeptical at first but I explained to them that I was as unfit to function in school as I would have been if I had a stomach bug or any kind of illness. So I took a couple of days off and came back all the better for it.

Also one last thing I'd advise is if you are feeling that you can't get everything done, see what you can prioritise. I always knew what teachers I'd absolutely HAVE to do homework for, and which ones I'd be able to have a quiet word with before or after class and explain that I was having problems. It's probably not good advice but in reality, there will be some nights/weeks where you can't do absolutely everything and some things will have to suffer. Also try to see the bigger picture too - your English teacher might give out to you for not handing in an essay on time, say, but that doesn't mean that you won't do well in your English exam (just using a random example).

In the end it all worked out for me and I got 560 points, had been aiming for about 520 so you can do really well! :)

Thanks for the advice :) If you don't mind me asking, what was your secret?
    I need about 540-550 to get the first choice. How did you study and how often did you? Is it too late for me? I have been tapping away at stuff - nothing intense though - but I have taken a nose dive the last week due to a new christmas job :(
    Study advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thanks for the advice :) If you don't mind me asking, what was your secret?
    I need about 540-550 to get the first choice. How did you study and how often did you? Is it too late for me? I have been tapping away at stuff - nothing intense though - but I have taken a nose dive the last week due to a new christmas job :(
    Study advice?

There was no secret really, it was mostly just a combination of studying and sheer dumb luck on the day :o

It's definitely not too late, I don't think I did anything too intense this side of Christmas so don't worry about it :) How I studied depended on different subjects. I did English Irish and maths obviously, then biology, chemistry, music and German (all at HL) so if you do any of the same and want specific advice just say, I don't want to be going into the details of each one if it's not going to be relevant to you :P Feel free to PM me as well if you want :)

As for how often I studied I'd try to make up 3 - 4 hours in total each night between study and homework. Some nights though this didn't happen at all, I didn't stick to it strictly because I knew sometimes that it wouldn't be realistic. At the weekend then it would just depend on my workload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

This is a really helpful topic. Thanks for all of the advices you've given out here!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Salts

I was the exact same last year, I could hardly do my homework a lot of the time, never mind study. I didn't really do much study during the year as a result, except for the Christmas tests and pres I did a small bit. But when we got off school mid-May, I made out a plan each day and got a lot done and wasn't tired at all! Everyone has different ways of learning, I have always found it difficult to study but my strength is picking up and retaining information from class. So I would say that it's better to relax and rest in the evenings and be alert and attentive the following day at school, rather than trying to do lots of study and being sluggish the whole time, you won't absorb anything!
    I think it's really important not to stress, or not to try and do more than you can because you'll just burn out. If you stress too much, then it will affect your sleep, which makes you more tired. Try a nice hot bath once in a while, with a cup of chamomile tea to relax. Definitely try to follow the advice given by everyone else, I wish I had followed it! Good luck with the Leaving Cert, and try to enjoy the last year of your secondary school life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

I used to be very tired all fifth year. Couldn't concentrate in school, had to have hour naps after school each day. I was getting a full night sleep, but I was still exhausted. Anyway, start of sixth year I had to get a battery of test done for these headaches I had been having at the time, and from the blood test I found out I have Hashimoto's Disorder (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056215078), which I only caught purely by chance. So like Spurious said, you'd do well to get yourself check out, just to be safe.

That said, I'm still tired most of the time now, but that can be put down to my average of 5 hours sleep a night. There just aren't enough hours :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Eat like a horse and try to get 8 hours of sleep every night if possible.

I was shattered tired every day last year. I promised myself every night that I would go to bed early but I always watched a movie or something so ended up going to sleep after midnight every night. Getting up at 7 every day and being in school until after 6pm didn't help either.

Don't go overboard with the study at this stage in the year. I used to be doing homework/study until 10 at night and I was burnt out by February. Decided to do almost nothing for almost 2 weeks to give myself a break after that.

Good luck with it anyway. You will have to deal with being tired a lot of the time in the coming year but just think about that 2.5 months of sleep you can get when its all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Hi Guys interesting talk going on. I've got a question, because my principal is really p.. me off. Most days I stay after school for an extra hour for either some extra classes or training. When I get home well after 5 I eat my dinner and just lay in front of the telly, not even intrested in what's going on. Sometimes I have to help my parents also. After about 8 when my brothers go to sleep I do my homework. After that I'm completely knackered and just go to sleep(something I always had problems with). And our principal tells us that if we don't do at least 3 hours STUDY daily then "well, there's no hope for you". This is just not possible. Now we've got our Christmas tests, I tried doing what he's telling us to do, and I'm a complete wreck. I even became sick, and it's hard doing tests with a serious flu and cough attacks.

I personally think he's out of his head, what do ye think? I don't have some amazing targets, but I'd like at least 400 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

mixery wrote: »
    Hi Guys interesting talk going on. I've got a question, because my principal is really p.. me off. Most days I stay after school for an extra hour for either some extra classes or training. When I get home well after 5 I eat my dinner and just lay in front of the telly, not even intrested in what's going on. Sometimes I have to help my parents also. After about 8 when my brothers go to sleep I do my homework. After that I'm completely knackered and just go to sleep(something I always had problems with). And our principal tells us that if we don't do at least 3 hours STUDY daily then "well, there's no hope for you". This is just not possible. Now we've got our Christmas tests, I tried doing what he's telling us to do, and I'm a complete wreck. I even became sick, and it's hard doing tests with a serious flu and cough attacks.

I personally think he's out of his head, what do ye think? I don't have some amazing targets, but I'd like at least 400 points.

Depends what works for you. Some people need to spend hours going over stuff to memorise it, other can get away by reading something a few times. Most fall in between.

I'd imagine your principle is giving your class a general bum-rush speech, if you've ever started back on a sports team after the summer holidays to have the coach tell you that some of you shouldn't be on the team, you get the idea. Before the mid term one of our teacher told us we should be trying to do 8 hours a day, which honestly nobody was going to do, but I would imagine the rational is that if they say 8 hours, people who would do nothing will at least do something.

Just my opinion, though. I've never really needed to sit down for hours to learn something, and consequently don't measure study by time spent. YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

I had the same problem and the docter recommended pharmaton, its just like berocca dissolves in water and tastes grand after about ten days I really noticed the difference. (also fact I didnt realise - berocca just releases energy from food you've eating so its no good to take for a 'boost' by itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Hey

Good or bad?

I used to have to travel to school.

No.1 Sleep whilst you are travelling.
    No.2 Make sure you get 8 hours sleep.
    No.3 Buy them small booklets, study essentials I think they are called(esp for Biology, Physics and Chem)
    No.4 Do exam papers.
    No.5 Do exam papers.
    No.6 Yus do make notes, if you arent learning anything in school dont go.
    No.7 Do exam papers.
    N0.8 Exercise/ socialise regularly
    No.9 Follow steps 1 through 9.
    No.10 Enjoy school, enjooooy it!!

Christ lads.....

It feels like it's all going down hill... :(
    Got a christmas job, working during all spare time!
    Fudged for xmas exams....

Can't believe half the year is gone already! Feel like a right loser!

Motivate me please? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Christ lads.....

It feels like it's all going down hill... :(
    Got a christmas job, working during all spare time!
    Fudged for xmas exams....

Can't believe half the year is gone already! Feel like a right loser!

Motivate me please? :(
    Half the year gone? There's half of it left more like ;)

Don't worry about Christmas, most people are planning on taking the majority of it off from study anyway and at least in your case you'll be earning money :) And how far away are the exams? You could prob still do pretty well with a bit of cramming. Most people study well under abit of pressure

As for motivation? The one thing that motivates me is this (think I actually seen this on boards myself :p)... You'll never have this opportunity again. Think of exams and study as a pathway to what lies ahead and studying won't seem so bad. 6/7 months of work from here to June and then you're good for the next 40 years doing the job you want to do :) Imagine yourself looking back in months or years to come, when your stuck in something you don't like, and thinking "I should have worked harder for the LC"... fair to say it wouldn't be the best feeling in the world :o That's what helps me anyway, you won't have this chance again so make the most of it!

Failing that, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5H62O-72g

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UizlkbS61mQ

are really good for motivation as well :)

Don't get too worked up by it all, the LC (especially repeating it!) is crap enough alright but let's make it count for something :D

Don't worry about Christmas, most people are planning on taking the majority of it off from study anyway and at least in your case you'll be earning money :) And how far away are the exams? You could prob still do pretty well with a bit of cramming. Most people study well under abit of pressure

As for motivation? The one thing that motivates me is this (think I actually seen this on boards myself :p)... You'll never have this opportunity again. Think of exams and study as a pathway to what lies ahead and studying won't seem so bad. 6/7 months of work from here to June and then you're good for the next 40 years doing the job you want to do :) Imagine yourself looking back in months or years to come, when your stuck in something you don't like, and thinking "I should have worked harder for the LC"... fair to say it wouldn't be the best feeling in the world :o That's what helps me anyway, you won't have this chance again so make the most of it!

Failing that, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5H62O-72g

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UizlkbS61mQ

are really good for motivation as well :)

Don't get too worked up by it all, the LC (especially repeating it!) is crap enough alright but let's make it count for something :D

:) Thank you bear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

That is amazingly uplifting - perked me right up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

:) Thank you bear!

No worries :)

Advertisement