Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streets of Wicklow 5k - Stephens day (Inbhear Dee AC)

Options
  • 14-11-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

My local Juvenile club Inbhear Dee AC will be holding the Streets of Wicklow 5k again around Wicklow Town! Start time is 11.30am on Stephens day. This year the race will be chiptimed also. The race is run under an Athletics Ireland permit, officially measured 5k route. This race is as much about the fun element also, with a kids 1mile race held beforehand at 11am, and the race is open to everyone, whether you want to walk, jog or run it!

For more info, check out our club website: http://www.inbheardee.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Website now updated, newer course map, and more information on the race itself, prizes etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone running this one?
    It's a cracking little race, keeps me semi honest conscious on Christmas day.
    Good course 1st k flat, 2nd climbs a bit, 3rd downhill, last 2 flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Duzzie

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Anyone running this one?

I might give this a go, been looking to do a 5k over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Anyone running this one?

Yeah myself and a buddy are running. Being the day it is and all there'll probably be a bit of vomiting at the finish line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah myself and a buddy are running. Being the day it is and all there'll probably be a bit of vomiting at the finish line though.

Might bum a lift if you have room ;)

• Advertisement

Might bum a lift if you have room ;)

Yeah no problem, although you're not allowed finish ahead of me.

Actually I've been warned to make a point of this, this years race is being run as a charity event, in memory of Anne Earls, founding member of Inbhear Dee AC! Unlike in some previous years where there were substantial cash prizes, there are none this year!

tunguska wrote: »

There's a few boardies heading for a few scoops afterwards if you need to re-hydrate.

There's a few boardies heading for a few scoops afterwards if you need to re-hydrate.

Cool. Get a bit of soup into kev afterwards and he'll agree to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Showers to those I know on offer in my gaff after ... for a fee:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Timmaay wrote: »
    My local Juvenile club Inbhear Dee AC will be holding the Streets of Wicklow 5k again around Wicklow Town! Start time is 11.30am on Stephens day. This year the race will be chiptimed also. The race is run under an Athletics Ireland permit, officially measured 5k route. This race is as much about the fun element also, with a kids 1mile race held beforehand at 11am, and the race is open to everyone, whether you want to walk, jog or run it!

For more info, check out our club website: http://www.inbheardee.com/

I assume that there is plenty of parking up around the school at start line, I know the area well enough but can't remember if there's space to park?

Looks like a good race to keep me sane over Christmas :)

Lostnfound wrote: »
    I assume that there is plenty of parking up around the school at start line, I know the area well enough but can't remember if there's space to park?

Looks like a good race to keep me sane over Christmas :)

Parking at the school, also a good few options with 500mts of the start, old DOE plot beside the petrol station, Lidl / Heatons car park and the Tesco cark won't be too full on Stephen's morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Is it possible to still enter this? Pay on the day at the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

uvox wrote: »
    Is it possible to still enter this? Pay on the day at the site?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

This is a great race folks. Can't run it this year but I might pop down to abuse Joe and the rest of the bray lads have a good watch:rolleyes: The Aga khan has supplemented Eoin Brennan for this one to the tune of 20,000 guineas:D:D

A great race yesterday and 400+ even though the weather conditions left a lot to be desired, provisional results are here
    1st Man: Jonathon Phillips - 15.57
    1st Woman: Roisin McGettigan - 17:55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

A great race yesterday and 400+ even though the weather conditions left a lot to be desired, provisional results are here
    1st Man: Jonathon Phillips - 15.57
    1st Woman: Roisin McGettigan - 17:55

Seen you were just chicked! I'd say that's ruined your Christmas, Olympian or no Olympian ;)

Yeh, the weather made it great fun for timing/results! The club focused the race moreso at the local Wicklow community this year, rather than targeting all the top class runners with large cash prizes. One of our main methods of advertising was simply to get the kids in the club to do leaflet drops in all the local housing estates. In this day and age of social media/etc, the old ways still have a lot going for them which showed with the crowds that turned up despite the weather!

TRR wrote: »
    Seen you were just chicked! I'd say that's ruined your Christmas, Olympian or no Olympian ;)

It wasn't for the want of trying, we had a good ding dong from the 2k mark, we were tied together by a 10ft string over the last k, every time I pushed she seemed to have a sixth sense - definitely helped me to a sub 18 though.

Advertisement