Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death of Savita Halappanavar and the abortion issue

1235»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Then why not let the pregnancy be terminated?

Would you prefer to allow the radiotherapy/chemotherapy/x rays etc to slowly poison the fetus - because that is what happens.

I have had cancer treatment twice and I barely survived it - a fetus would have no chance against the chemical cocktail - never mind the radiotherapy which causes burns from the inside out. As for the effect of X-rays on a fetus....:eek:

The treatment will slowly kill the fetus in most cases - should it survive to birth it will have serious defects, most likely be riddled with cancer and little chance of survival with no quality of life.

That is why pregnant women in Ireland are currently denied cancer treatment - it is considered that such treatment will terminate the pregnancy making it essentially an abortion - but one that inflicts a lingering death.

No doubt you would chose an abortion...:rolleyes:

However the pregnancy wouldn't be endangering your life.

I find your certainty about the radio therapy killing the baby interesting.

Is this inevitable..?

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Happy to know that you're through it.

As am I...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Sadly, b)

So you'd rather slowly poison the foetus, put it through prolonged and protracted pain, only for it to die along the way (most probably - and if not be severly damaged) rather than allowing an abortion?

I wouldn't treat the dogs in the street with such disregard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Agreed, it would be barbaric.
    Radiation Exposure to the Embryo or Fetus from Therapy Procedures that Do or Could Involve Exposure to the Abdomen
    One form of radiation therapy for cancer and other diseases is the administration (oral or by injection) of radioactive materials to treat various disease states. The most common of these is oral administration of radioactive iodine, which is used to treat hyperthyroidism or cancer of the thyroid. Another form of therapy, radioactive seeds, can be placed into various organs and tissues to treat cancer. And finally, radiation emitted from large machines (linear accelerators) can be used to treat cancer and other diseases. In nearly all instances, these uses of radiation will not occur when a woman is pregnant because the physician will be aware of the pregnancy and, therefore, take that into consideration before deciding to do these procedures. If the physician believes that delaying the procedure until the baby is born would be a significant risk to the mother, then s/he may decide to proceed and will share with you the possible risks of the radiation exposure to the unborn child.

Occasionally, radioactive iodine for the treatment of hyperthyroidism or cancer of the thyroid is administered to a woman who may not yet know she is pregnant. In these instances, it is essential that the exposure to the embryo or fetus be determined before any counseling can be provided. It is recommended that this determination be obtained from the health physicist, a nuclear medicine physician, or a radiation oncologist associated with the institution where the procedure took place.

Since radiation treatment for cancer involves quite high doses of radiation, it is very likely that the embryo will be affected if radiation therapy is initiated during pregnancy. In the early stages of pregnancy, embryo sensitivity is such that dosages of hundreds of rad per day of fractionated radiation therapy would not allow the embryo to survive. When exposures occur later in gestation, embryo sensitivity decreases but is still vulnerable to the cell-killing effects. Thus, there is still concern about radiation effects even though the embryo might survive.

It is possible that even with radiation therapy to other parts of the body, the embryo might receive an exposure that increases the risk of biological effects. Again, it is essential that the exposure to the embryo or fetus be determined before any counseling can be provided. It is recommended that this determination be obtained from the health physicist, a nuclear medicine physician, or a radiation oncologist associated with the institution where the procedure took place.

http://hps.org/hpspublications/articles/pregnancyandradiationexposureinfosheet.html

Flier wrote: »
    So you'd rather slowly poison the foetus, put it through prolonged and protracted pain, only for it to die along the way (most probably - and if not be severly damaged) rather than allowing an abortion?

I wouldn't treat the dogs in the street with such disregard.

So radiotherapy always kills unborn babies, doc..?

Do you believe in a woman's 'right to chose' beyond X..?

I see from posts and thanks that my A + A fanclub are following me around...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

So radiotherapy always kills unborn babies, doc..?

Where did I say that it always does?? Go talk to a radiotherapist and find out why they don't recommend radiotherapy for pregnant women - hell go talk to a radiologist and find out why they don't even recommend x rays for pregnant women.

I would absolutely hate to see the results of a chemo and radiotherapy regime on a foetus - because a foetus is full of dividing and deveoloping cells it will be affected disproportionately. That's why pregnant women don't get chemo or radiation.

Where is your compassion for these women Silvio? If it was your loved one, would you be so callous? Have you ever even been near to such a situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

I see from posts and thanks that my A + A fanclub are following me around...;)

Don't flatter yourself.

We follow the injustice, you just happen to be a proporter of the same.

• Advertisement

Flier wrote: »
    Where did I say that it always does?? Go talk to a radiotherapist and find out why they don't recommend radiotherapy for pregnant women - hell go talk to a radiologist and find out why they don't even recommend x rays for pregnant women.

I would absolutely hate to see the results of a chemo and radiotherapy regime on a foetus - because a foetus is full of dividing and deveoloping cells it will be affected disproportionately. That's why pregnant women don't get chemo or radiation.

Where is your compassion for these women Silvio? If it was your loved one, would you be so callous? Have you ever even been near to such a situation?

In fact are there cases where a baby has been delivered without any ill effect from radio therapy, doc..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Do you believe in a woman's 'right to chose' beyond X..?

Yes, as X only is about the life of the woman and not about her health or terminations for fatal fetal abnormalities.

Don't flatter yourself.

We follow the injustice, you just happen to be a proporter of the same.

this from someone who could countenance partial birth abortions...:(

Morag wrote: »
    Yes, as X only is about the life of the woman and not about her health or terminations for fatal fetal abnormalities.

Would you suport the woman's right to choose beyond cases of threats to the her health and fatal fetal abnormalities..?

this from someone who could countenance partial birth abortions...:(

In the case of Anencephaly, yes. Or did you not comprehend that as well, seeing as you were too busy plastering everyone as baby killers?

The only people who came up with IDX were pro lifers. It has happened, but it doesn't. It will never happen in Ireland, so it is not an issue in Ireland's abortion debate.

Would you suport the woman's right to choose beyond cases of threats to the her health and fatal fetal abnormalities..?

Yes I like the majority of people who were survyed would want women to have the right to have an abortion here in Ireland in the cases of threat to her life, her health, fatal fetal abnormalities and in the cases of rape and incest.

Legislation for X case won't cover
    Right to Health
    Rape/incest
    Fatal Fetal abnormalities

and it certainly won't result in abortion 'on demand'.

For Right to Health, Rape/Incest,Fatal Fetal Abnormalities we may well need to amend or repeal the 8th amendment. So lets just get X case legislation in place finally as it will be next month 21years form the X case court judgement.

• Advertisement

In the case of Anencephaly, yes.

Now we're getting down to the barbarism of the Choicers.

Do you know how many countries are morally redundant enough to legalise partial birth abortions on this planet..?

Yes I like the majority of people who were survyed would want women to have the right to have an abortion here in Ireland in the cases of threat to her life, her health, fatal fetal abnormalities and in the cases of rape and incest.

Legislation for X case won't cover
    Right to Health
    Rape/incest
    Fatal Fetal abnormalities

and it certainly won't result in abortion 'on demand'.

For Right to Health, Rape/Incest,Fatal Fetal Abnormalities we may well need to amend or repeal the 8th amendment. So lets just get X case legislation in place finally as it will be next month 21years form the X case court judgement.

The list is growing.

Would you support the woman's right to choose beyond cases of threats to the her health, fatal fetal abnormalities and rape/incest..?

The list is growing.

Would you support the woman's right to choose beyond cases of threats to the her health, fatal fetal abnormalities and rape/incest..?

What do you mean....:)

Do you know how many countries are morally redundant enough to legalise partial birth abortions on this planet..?

Do you even know what Anencephaly is?

http://anencephaly.net/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002547/

And a nice article from 2007:
    http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/migration/ireland-has-worlds-highest-number-of-anencephaly-cases-669196.html

He means would you want abortion on demand. It's a trick he tried on me before.

• Advertisement

It's hardly barbaric to not put a mother through emotional and physical anguish, just so she can watch her baby die in front of her when it is born.

Letting mothers die because of a foetus fetish, however, is barbaric.

All of a sudden you're playing dumb. Don't belittle yourself please.

Would you support a woman's right to an abortion for other reasons apart from threats to the her health, fatal fetal abnormalities and rape/incest..?

It's hardly barbaric to not put a mother through emotional and physical anguish, just so she can watch her baby die in front of her when it is born.

Letting mothers die because of a foetus fetish, however, is barbaric.
    So rather than deliver her baby and say goodbye to him/her after carrying the baby for nine months you'd rather carry out a partial birth abortion?

You're some piece of work...

He means would you want abortion on demand. It's a trick he tried on me before.

How is it a trick?

Our Morag has gone all coy for some reason. I'm just intrigued as to why...

So rather than deliver her baby and say goodbye to him/her after carrying the baby for nine months you'd rather carry out a partial birth abortion?

You're some piece of work...

I'm not the one carrying out the abortion.

It is a mothers choice how they want to see the end of their off spring.

If it was my loved one, I'd want them and what would have been our child to go through as little pain as possible.

You, on the other hand, want them to spend 7 months dreading the day they have to say goodbye, knowing that they will only get to spend a tiny amount of time with their child, probably in an incubation unit. They might not even get to hold their child, and you want to put them through all that?

If there's any horrid barbarian here, its you.

All of a sudden you're playing dumb. Don't belittle yourself please.

Would you support a woman's right to an abortion for other reasons apart from threats to the her health, fatal fetal abnormalities and rape/incest..?

This is the politics forum, the discussion is about the pending legislation
    and how it needs to be put in place as it was the will of the nation as put to them twice in referendum and even then it will not go far enough to allow for the right to have an abortion which the people have said they will support.

As for me personally I would be in favor of legislation to allow for the abortion pill to be prescribed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

How is it a trick?

Our Morag has gone all coy for some reason. I'm just intrigued as to why...

You've had 20 or more out of the last 30 replies, slightly monopolising the debate.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement