Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what breed dog is this

• 15-11-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi i have this little fellow a year now he was a rescue dog and i am wondering his breed i think he is either a glen of imaal or wheaten terrier what do ye think thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think Wheatens are bit more leggy. Haven't seen enough Glen of Imaal terriers but they are so rare, I'd say it's unlikely. Maybe a cross? He's lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I dont think he's a breed as such but actually looks like a cross between the 2 or one that's just ended up looking like a cross. He's too short for a Wheaten and too stocky for a Glen of Imaal. Lovely little fella ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hes def not a full breed of anything. More than likely a wheaten cross as he has that type of coat. But not tall enough for a Wheaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Bit of westie in him maybe? He's gorgeous whatever his is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

In the second photo he looks very like an Irish Glen of Immal. They are actually a very stocky dog and the lenght of his back and his short legs would also suggest this.

His coat is more Wheaten like. Is his coat harsh or soft and is he neutered as that can make a coat softer and appear different then the breed standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

We have a Wheaten and he is defo not leggy enough to be one but with that coat I would say he is a cross for sure. Gorgeous little fella!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is he stubborn?

Is he cheeky?

Defo part Westie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Glen of Imaals are like the Irish version of Dachshunds, they're very stumpy. I'd say he's probably a Wheaten cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

yes he can be very stobbon and cheeky hes is also very strong the only reason i am saying he might be a glen of imaal is he dose everything they say a glen of imall dose on the net he has no fear at all but that could be the terrier in him

yes he can be very stobbon and cheeky hes is also very strong the only reason i am saying he might be a glen of imaal is he dose everything they say a glen of imall dose on the net he has no fear at all but that could be the terrier in him

I did a Glen of Immal and Wheaten seminair 3 weeks ago. Glens also come in Wheaten colour. He looks much more like a Glen then a Wheaten. I also have terriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Knine wrote: »
    I did a Glen of Immal and Wheaten seminair 3 weeks ago. Glens also come in Wheaten colour. He looks much more like a Glen then a Wheaten. I also have terriers.
    ya i am kinda going with glen of immal you asked about his coat its soft double coat and he is not nutered

ya i am kinda going with glen of immal you asked about his coat its soft double coat and he is not nutered

Normally you would hope for a harsh coat in a Glen but some dogs have softer coats. He is a lovely dog whatever his background. Google images of Irish Glen of Immal and have a read of their breed standard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I agree that he's very Glen-y looking, but may be a touch on the small side. Glens are short, but they are substantial little dogs! Do you get his coat clipped? This can encourage soft undercoat growth in terriers.. but I know a few Glens with naturally soft coats too.
    Do I see a little underbite? This just might suggest that there's something short-faced back in his ancestry... Shih Tsu or something. I've often seen the coat type and colour he has being brought to the equation by Yorkies. So who knows what's in there!
    One thing I'm 100% sure of though, he is absolutely GORGEOUS! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

DBB wrote: »
    Do I see a little underbite?
    Yeah there's a small underbite alright. Might be worth keeping an eye on his teeth as he matures more so than a "normal" dog, as with this slight misalignment he'll be more prone to extra wear and tear as the teeth will erode quicker due to his bite being slightly off.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

He is beautiful!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

lovely dog, but not a glen of immall , they have a more pronounced jaw afaik.
    hes a mongrel of some sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

whichever he is (wheaten/glen) he is one seriously cute dog.
    Nice personality?
    lucky you :)

Advertisement