Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The myth of Joe Hart

• 15-11-2012 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

He's just not very good is he? He seems to make mistakes every time you hear of a goal going in against him. He made at least 4 mistakes tonight, of which 2 resulted in goals.

He obviously has some sort of keeping ability, and I've seen him play very well, but I think top keepers are epitomized by their lack of mistakes. All keepers at that level are great shot stoppers, but Hart seems to cause confusion at all times, a reason City got rid of Given.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

EdenHazard wrote: »
    He's just not very good is he? He seems to make mistakes every time you hear of a goal going in against him. He made at least 4 mistakes tonight, of which 2 resulted in goals.

LOL. He plays for the defending Premier League champions. Has conceded less goals than any other 'keeper in the league too. I reckon he's handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

LOL. He plays for the defending Premier League champions. Has conceded less goals than any other 'keeper in the league too. I reckon he's handy enough.

He does have a handy enough defense in front of him infairness

He's good but not the second coming of christ as many English media commentators would have you believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Behave.He may not be the world class keeper that some make him out to be, but he is still a very good keeper with years to improve further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Close this ****. Jesus wept.

Where was his, "Is Joe Hart the real deal" thread after he kept City in the game vs Dortmund? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Can we leave this thread until after the draft please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

In the top 3 shot stoppers in the world imo. Good in the air and good distribution. No myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Doesn't stop him being a hugely overrated keeper. He's made a whole load of costly mistakes already this season. He's very good but is not and I have my doubts he will be the player England and the media want him to be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He obviously has some sort of keeping ability, and I've seen him play very well, but I think top keepers are epitomized by their lack of mistakes. All keepers at that level are great shot stoppers, but Hart seems to cause confusion at all times, a reason City got rid of Given.

He's better in goals than you are at football analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Because you always see keepers perform miracles in games like that! Its the reason why so many relegation level keepers are always held up in such regard because they are constantly making saves. Shot stopping is the most important attribute of a keeper but all keepers at that level are quality shot stoppers. Hart's performance against Dortmund could be seen by any number of keepers every weekend.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lauded too much previously, will be castigated too much now. Never a balanced opinion around when you want one, over reaction is the go to spot it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He's better in goals than you are at football analysis wearing fedoras around Limerick.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

World Class shot stopper.
    Probable world class distribution.

However, his general command of his box and area is what lets him down at times. He's not in the top tier of goalkeepers in the world but he's young and could easily get there.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya. ;)

Good thing I'm a handy goalkeeper myself so! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Surprised one of these took so long.

You're right OP, he's terrible. Would be deeeeecent craic on a night out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hes over hyped as is typical with the Sky style of media, hes a great shot stopper, but is prone to a clanger and as was said he really doesnt command his box. Many years to learn though so might be a bit soon for saying hes not that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SantryRed wrote: »
    World Class shot stopper.
    Probable world class distribution.

However, his general command of his box and area is what lets him down at times. He's not in the top tier of goalkeepers in the world but he's young and could easily get there.

Disagree. If the likes of Valdes and de Gea set the standard for distribution, I think Hart is some way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He was always going to be pushed to the moon by the English media who have been craving a decent keeper ever since Seaman retired. He shouldn't be compared with Casillas the way some English pundits choose to regard him, but he is nevertheless very, very good and could wind up being amongst the best of the best.

I do agree he is prone to a few mistakes - as he was last season although this was not really recognised - but he has terrific qualities and should not be dismissed just because his hype machine is set to overdrive.

That's true in fairness, its not him who hypes himself as being at the same level as Buffon(at his best)

But I'd go as far to say he got lucky with the media behind him. There was a lot of pressure on Mancini from outside circles to make him their number one. He's not like even a standout among the rest of the English League. I wouldn't be in a rush to pick Hart over Michael Vorm or Tim Krul(just 2 examples)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Knex. wrote: »
    Close this ****. Jesus wept.

Where was his, "Is Joe Hart the real deal" thread after he kept City in the game vs Dortmund? :rolleyes:

it was only one game, you can name many keepers that had 'one of those games'.

decent keeper, will become very good but he had a bad game tonight

Dempsey wrote: »

David Marshall vs Barca years ago now for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dempsey wrote: »

I was going for the overreaction at the other scale angle tbh.

Hart is a very good keeper. He's 25 and has a premier league medal to his name and is playing for one of the best teams in Europe.

He's not Buffon, Casillas, or Neuer, and he may never get to that level, but he's not massively off it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Knex. wrote: »

I was going for the overreaction at the other scale angle tbh.

Hart is a very good keeper. He's 25 and has a premier league medal to his name and is playing for one of the best teams in Europe.

He's not Buffon, Casillas, or Neuer, and he may never get to that level, but he's not massively off it in my opinion.

id be careful labelling them one of the best in europe tbh. manc have done nothing to earn such a title.

neuer isnt at that level yet either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

David de Gea is 3 years younger, is better at distribution at least as good, if not better at shot stopping and hasn't played in the league as long or on front of a settled defence since joining united. He gets hammered for making no more mistakes then Harte and is not afforded the same benefit of the doubt from either pundits or fans (even of united) .

This is jut another example on a long line of inconsistant hypocrisys and double standards that exist in the game.

Incidentally the fact that he's no under any pressure at city and there are constant doubts expressed about de Gea simply highlights the enormity of being keeper of united versus being keeper of city.

Like I say Hart is lucky he has the media behind him. Its why City got rid of Given(which they should have) but there was a campaign to make Hart number 1 as he was who England were putting their hopes on. Could be hope for that guy Butland but I hear he makes mistakes quite a bit as well(although hes young)

Drumpot wrote: »
    David de Gea is 3 years younger, is better at distribution at least as good, if not better at shot stopping and hasn't played in the league as long or on front of a settled defence since joining united. He gets hammered for making no more mistakes then Harte and is not afforded the same benefit of the doubt from either pundits or fans (even of united) .

This is jut another example on a long line of inconsistant hypocrisys and double standards that exist in the game.

Incidentally the fact that he's no under any pressure at city and there are constant doubts expressed about de Gea simply highlights the enormity of being keeper of united versus being keeper of city.

Thinly veiled 'United are a much bigger club' post. At least spell his name right, it's only four letters.

joker-clap.gif&size=400x1000

Jesus take off the tin foil hat there. De Gea cant come for a cross without collapsing under the force of gravity, bit different from Hart who i think is clearly better right now, De Gea needs more bulk and might fix this part of his game but its clear in the fact that Utd dont seem to have a number one that hes not the 2nd coming either.

David Marshall vs Barca years ago now for example.

Azerbaijan goalkeeper versus Portugal .

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled 'United are a much bigger club' post. At least spell his name right, it's only four letters.

Ah nuts i thought twas Ian Harte he was on about, better edit my reply ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If anything, the lack of media criticism on Joe Hart has harmed the general perception of him, lots of people now picking up everything he does harshly, I remember him getting far too much criticism for the goal at the weekend and on a number of occasions before now.

I can think of a small number of keepers who I would have before him, but not many and none from the Premiership anyway.

• Advertisement

No need to disguise the fact that united players are certainly set bigger standards but I can see how a massive club like city might be a bit sensitive on the topic of size.

Setting high standards is setting high standards, two goalkeepers who are treated on differant levels because of who they play for more then how they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CSF wrote: »
    If anything, the lack of media criticism on Joe Hart has harmed the general perception of him, lots of people now picking up everything he does harshly, I remember him getting far too much criticism for the goal at the weekend and on a number of occasions before now.

I can think of a small number of keepers who I would have before him, but not many and none from the Premiership anyway.

I disagree. He was at fault for the goal at weekend. His body movement was terrible.

I do think he is fine keeper. He be in my Top 8, but some way to go before he is World Beater.

No need to disguise the fact that united players are certainly set bigger standards

Yeah, nah. I've no doubt that the standards set at the reigning Premier League Champions are as high as they come.

But sure, if you have the inside word that it's different then good on you.

Given Hart's (notice the lack of an 'e' there in the spelling) age, ability and general character I wouldn't swap him right now. The hyperbole in both directions is hilarious, he's a very good keeper and will continue to be.

Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Does anyone else think he's deceptively tall.

There's something about him that makes him look short - I think it's his giant head.

He's a strange looking fellow.

Girls love him though!

Jesus take off the tin foil hat there. De Gea cant come for a cross without collapsing under the force of gravity, bit different from Hart who i think is clearly better right now, De Gea needs more bulk and might fix this part of his game but its clear in the fact that Utd dont seem to have a number one that hes not the 2nd coming either.

What tin foil hat? De Gea gets more grief from some of his own fans for less then some of the mistakes hart has made. He made a balls of the spurs goal and yet some people actually think that this goal would be ok for most top keepers. WTF. We are only less then a third into the season and he's made several mistakes and let in average goals. He's under the spotlight because he has been built up so much.

Da Gea has made some amazing saves, including save of the season away to Chelsea and even his own fans wait for him to make a mistake so they can jump on the bandwagon. He gets little praise for what he does right and destroyed for Anything negative irrespective of how minor it is.

How anybody thinks hart gets more scrutinised is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Girls love him though!

Only for the money though.

He didn't get lucky in the looks department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

To be fair de gea cost 17 million pounds which is huge money for a keeper, never mind a very young keeper. Hart cost 600k, pittance really. I'm aware he was out on a few loans since then.

Joe hart is like nickelback

Yeah, nah. I've no doubt that the standards set at the reigning Premier League Champions are as high as they come.

But sure, if you have the inside word that it's different then good on you.

Given Hart's (notice the lack of an 'e' there in the spelling) age, ability and general character I wouldn't swap him right now. The hyperbole in both directions is hilarious, he's a very good keeper and will continue to be.

Happy days.

I think you are misunderstanding the standards I was mentioning. Although perhaps you thought I meant medical standards that meant city had less injuries then any team and united had the most injuries to any team that I agree most definitely helped city scoop the league on goal differance in the last 20 seconds of the league.

No , I meant the standards whereby you can't feck off for a couple of months to a differant continent in a huff and expect to be welcome back with open arms.

See, both clubs have different standards for their players fitness and behaviour.

What tin foil hat? De Gea gets more grief from some of his own fans for less then some of the mistakes hart has made. He made a balls of the spurs goal and yet some people actually think that this goal would be ok for most top keepers. WTF. We are only less then a third into the season and he's made several mistakes and let in average goals. He's under the spotlight because he has been built up so much.

Da Gea has made some amazing saves, including save of the season away to Chelsea and even his own fans wait for him to make a mistake so they can jump on the bandwagon. He gets little praise for what he does right and destroyed for Anything negative irrespective of how minor it is.

How anybody thinks hart gets more scrutinised is laughable.
    Sure i never said he gets more scrutiny nor did i say Hart doesnt make mistakes, if you read my previous posts you would know my thoughts on Hart. Im reacting to your paranoia about De Gea. Not gonna drag this off Hart anyway so i will leave it at that.

To be fair de gea cost 17 million pounds which is huge money for a keeper, never mind a very young keeper. Hart cost 600k, pittance really. I'm aware he was out on a few loans since then.

Joe hart is like nickelback

But the cost of a player is about value not ability. When a player is being judged on performance it doesn't matter what they cost, it's the level they are playing at.

Hart , as put by a poster here, plays for the epl champs and whether he was free or not the champions are supposed to be the benchmark and judged at the highest level. You don't get to have everything your way, all the plaudits and none of the negatives when things aren't going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I think you are misunderstanding the standards I was mentioning. Although perhaps you thought I meant medical standards that meant city had less injuries then any team and united had the most injuries to any team that I agree most definitely helped city scoop the league on goal differance in the last 20 seconds of the league.

No , I meant the standards whereby you can't feck off for a couple of months to a differant continent in a huff and expect to be welcome back with open arms.

See, both clubs have different standards for their players fitness and behaviour.

That's a lot of bitterness to store up for 6 months; can't be healthy. And your point about de Gea getting more stick from United fans says more about the fans than either keeper.

I would't have many other keepers at City. All players make mistakes but Hart doesn't seem to buy into the hype or get affected by the criticism too much.

I didn't mention anything about medical standards so wrong yet again.

Making it a habit now, see below.
    You don't get to have everything your way, all the plaudits and none of the negatives when things aren't going well.

None of the negatives? People like yourself ensure that there's plenty of negatives at the slightest opportunity so you're rendering your own point null and void.

Well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

As a neutral, I would take Hart over De Gea every day of the week.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    That's a lot of bitterness to store up for 6 months; can't be healthy.

approve-meme-generator-obama-approves-355488.jpg?1332150994.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

That's true in fairness, its not him who hypes himself as being at the same level as Buffon(at his best)

But I'd go as far to say he got lucky with the media behind him. There was a lot of pressure on Mancini from outside circles to make him their number one. He's not like even a standout among the rest of the English League. I wouldn't be in a rush to pick Hart over Michael Vorm or Tim Krul(just 2 examples)

Krul is Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Krul is Dutch.
    So is Vorm, I don't believe he ever said otherwise though, to be fair to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Krul is Dutch.

So is Vorm...

And Both Vorm and Kurl can't get a look in ahead of Maarten Stekelenburg for the dutch national team, and even Stekelenburg doesn't have a patch on Hart!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Better than Forster on the basis that he plays in the Premiership, like the rest of the squad selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

OP; I kinda agree. If you read about Hart without seeing him you would expect a Buffon esque type player.

He's not a bad GK but he aint as good as people make out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hart is a top class keeper. Everyone makes gaffs but the important thing is he bounces back from them unlike most. This was a big one playing for his country and many keepers don't recover from something like that. I think it won't bother him at all moving forward but we'll know over the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement