Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I quit. ?

• 15-11-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I smoked for around 17 years aged 16-33 years around 10-15 cigarettes a day. Like everyone here i tried many times to quit . I tried everything patches, Alan Carr, tabs the lot. The most i would get would be about two weeks at a push three and it would be torture and i would eventually give in .

I know this wont suit everyone or people wont have time with family commitments etc but i started to run about 1 year ago. Firstly i could barely get out my estate but with time my distance would increase and i would feel better everytime i came home feeling more energised each time . I got hooked on it so much so that i decided to run this years Dublin marathon which i did and it was one of the best experiences of my life to date crossing the finish line. I never consciously gave up cigarettes like the other times i had done and failed i think my body just gave them up . I would feel so good and fit and healthy doing the training/running that my body just said no way your putting that near my lungs . I cant even put an exact date when i had my last cigarette but it was at least 6 months ago and i know i will never smoke again i look at them with disgust now (not at smokers themselves i was one long enough just the cigarettes), my attitude about them has changed completely which is what i was probably lacking the other times i had tried unsuccessfully.

As i said I know this wont suit everyone and I know one mans paradise is another man's hell but it worked for me and maybe it might for someone else please god.

Best of luck in giving up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 VapeTime

I've heard of people quitting with the help of running, a couple people I knew years back did it as well. Good job with quitting and good luck keep off it :)

Advertisement