Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most unlikely Bjj black belts in Mma

• 15-11-2012 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Every so often I come across an mma fighter where it surprises me that they are a black belt.
    Not because they don't deserve it but mainly because you don't see them go for submissions that often.

Was surprised to hear Rashad Evans is now a bb,
    Also Wandalei Silva, not sure if he's ever attempted a submission in an mma match!
    Are there many others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

fisher8181 wrote: »
    Every so often I come across an mma fighter where it surprises me that they are a black belt.
    Not because they don't deserve it but mainly because you don't see them go for submissions that often.

Was surprised to hear Rashad Evans is now a bb,
    Also Wandalei Silva, not sure if he's ever attempted a submission in an mma match!
    Are there many others?

Belfort, Another who goes out without intentions of using BJJ

Randy Coutore too

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wandy doesn't attempt many subs. But I don't think it's surprising that a Brazilian Mma fighter with his experience is a blackbelt. Even if its only used for defensive purposes.

There's a long list if Brazilian "strikers" with black belts.

For me the most surprising BB (in MMA) has to be Roy Nelson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mellor wrote: »
    For me the most surprising BB (in MMA) has to be Roy Nelson.

I don't get that 1, as he's well known in BJJ competition

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

One of the most questionable is Mike Massenzio. Submitted lots of times including triangle choked by Brian Stann, a blue belt.

I think he got his BB from Renzo actually, could be wrong though.

Shane Carwin being a purple belt is suprising also, same with Dan Hardy.

I honestly don't think the belt thing is that relevant in MMA. Obviously grappling experience is important but look at Jon Jones choking out Machida for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Shannon Ritch. Been subbed like 80 times in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But he's never gone to decision apparently, with 140 fights to his name!

But he's never gone to decision apparently, with 140 fights to his name!
    Also true. I think only one of his fights has gone past round 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I know he's not in MMA, but i'll just leave this here:

ed_oneill_hand_belt1.jpg?w=600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Also not mma but Guy Ritchie is a brown belt in BJJ and he's a judo black belt.
    There's some useless info for ya. ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Don't think he's a black belt. Saw him get destroyed by a blue belt 2 or 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »

Don't think he's a black belt. Saw him get destroyed by a blue belt 2 or 3 years ago.
    Seen him be destroyed by all sorts but all the info on him has him as a black belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cowzerp wrote: »

I don't get that 1, as he's well known in BJJ competition
    Yeah I know it's no secret or anything. I just meant the first time I heard I wasn't expecting it. On TUF he carried on like a redneck that enjoyed bar fights. Shortly after I heard he was a BB and was just surprised I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Roland Delgado, who was on season 8 of TUF. He couldn't give Frank Mir an answear to how he was awarded his Black Belt. Then went onto be come one of the worst fighters in my eyes to grace the UFC.

Advertisement