Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record Fairs in Dublin

Options
  • 15-11-2012 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I heard that there will be a huge records fair in Filmbase this weekend. Do you think it will be worthwhile going there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Paczini wrote: »
    I heard that there will be a huge records fair in Filmbase this weekend. Do you think it will be worthwhile going there?
    A what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Not huge actually, I've been to the last one, it's decent, you might find the odd surprise.

Is this a fair that sells records ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Is this a fair that sells records ?

vinyls and Cds.

But whats different to this and going into a music shop . ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Multiple sellers with lots of older (possibly rare) stuff that isn't always stocked in a music shop. Also the option of bartering and haggling if you are buying a few bits from the same seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Ignore it - it might go away after a while!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

where exactly is it on lads??

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

A V A wrote: »
    where exactly is it on lads??

cheers

Filmbase, Curved St, Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

The fairs are great. Ive been going to them for the last few years,some fantastic stuff.

This is from the Record fairs mailing list. I got this today

Only two days until the biggest record fair of the year! I mean that literally, we have 45 tables of vinyl and cds, making this even bigger than the successful July fair!! More dealers, more rarities, more bargains...see you at Filmbase, Temple Bar this Saturday & Sunday. Doors open at 10.30 until 6pm. Check out www.irishrecordfairs.com for a FREE Sunday pass and a map with directions!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Did anyone go into Filmbase on the weekend? It was truly the most depressing record fair I've ever been to. Apart from the fact that there was hardly anyone at it (the basement wasn't remotely full), the quality (and I use the term loosely) of items was dreadful. Most of it was overpriced junk, that shouldn't be more than a few Euro.
    As someone who has been buying secondhand LPs since the late eighties, I'm beginning to wonder has it really come to this, that all that's left is the dregs? Has all the good stuff been traded and re-traded and now there's nothing of merit left? We're just stuck with multiple copies of The Sound of Bread, and eighties Now That's What I Call Music LPs that aren't worth a curse. Bananarama Shy Boy picture disc? Seriously, who wants this stuff?

In the 1990s, as people began to trade in their LPs and were re-buying their collections on CD, there was gold in them there hills. You could easily accumulate decent copies of anything you wanted: Beatles, Bowie, Neil Young, etc. Entire discographies could be assembled by scouring the shops in town. Now, all the shops are gone, and we're relying on these Record Fairs, but for all their PR, they're simply not good enough.
    It's either scuffed, worthless junk, or overpriced records that are allegedly (according to the vendor's sticker), "hard to find", but are really nothing of the sort.

I realise you can't please all the people all of the time, and that everyone is looking for different things, but the overall impression of these fairs is that they're floundering badly.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Did anyone go into Filmbase on the weekend? It was truly the most depressing record fair I've ever been to. Apart from the fact that there was hardly anyone at it (the basement wasn't remotely full), the quality (and I use the term loosely) of items was dreadful. Most of it was overpriced junk, that shouldn't be more than a few Euro.
    As someone who has been buying secondhand LPs since the late eighties, I'm beginning to wonder has it really come to this, that all that's left is the dregs? Has all the good stuff been traded and re-traded and now there's nothing of merit left? We're just stuck with multiple copies of The Sound of Bread, and eighties Now That's What I Call Music LPs that aren't worth a curse. Bananarama Shy Boy picture disc? Seriously, who wants this stuff?

In the 1990s, as people began to trade in their LPs and were re-buying their collections on CD, there was gold in them there hills. You could easily accumulate decent copies of anything you wanted: Beatles, Bowie, Neil Young, etc. Entire discographies could be assembled by scouring the shops in town. Now, all the shops are gone, and we're relying on these Record Fairs, but for all their PR, they're simply not good enough.
    It's either scuffed, worthless junk, or overpriced records that are allegedly (according to the vendor's sticker), "hard to find", but are really nothing of the sort.

I realise you can't please all the people all of the time, and that everyone is looking for different things, but the overall impression of these fairs is that they're floundering badly.

I was on this records fair on all three days and I have to admit that it wasn't as good as it usually is but I guess it is mostly because of Paddy's day. Also from what I've seen the place was full of sellers on Friday and Saturday with all sorts of music. If you came in on Sunday the best and cheapest stuff seemed to be gone cause people bought it as soon as the record fair open on Friday and Saturday.
    I do not agree with you saying that mostly "hard to find" is a lie told by the sellers. I know from experience that some of these records are VERY hard to find, first pressings, rare pressings (Japanese, Russian, South African etc). I personally know people that buy 7" U2 singles that were pressed in Japan for over €50 each although they can get the same 7" single but UK pressing for less than €10. "Hard to find" stuff is mostly for private collections and people are willing to pay big money to get the record they are looking for although they can get a cheap one. Also if you want to get a record in decent quality (i.e. N/M) like me, you should expect higher prices in compare to low quality records for less than €5-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

I looked at these posts after being at the fair last weekend, if you think it was bad two years ago?? You'd want to see it now. Absolutely desperate. We're down to a handful of sellers now and they seem to have the same stock they have had up to 5 years ago.

The thing I used to love about the fair is every time you wnet you wouldn't know who'd be selling and what you'd find. It's literally the same hardcore group of 4-5 sellers now, I could nearly tell what albums would be in what box! I only happened to pop in as I was in town, and fancied picking up something I missed last time. Voila, it was exactly where I thought it was. They're just not shifting the stuff anymore, with the availability of vinyl now I woul've been better off spending the afternoon in Tower.

Anyone else go?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Adrift wrote: »
    I looked at these posts after being at the fair last weekend, if you think it was bad two years ago?? You'd want to see it now. Absolutely desperate. We're down to a handful of sellers now and they seem to have the same stock they have had up to 5 years ago.

The thing I used to love about the fair is every time you wnet you wouldn't know who'd be selling and what you'd find. It's literally the same hardcore group of 4-5 sellers now, I could nearly tell what albums would be in what box! I only happened to pop in as I was in town, and fancied picking up something I missed last time. Voila, it was exactly where I thought it was. They're just not shifting the stuff anymore, with the availability of vinyl now I woul've been better off spending the afternoon in Tower.

Anyone else go?

No,but one Dublin seller comes down to Cork and Limerick sometimes.He never has any prices marked on his records and I think he makes up the prices on the spot if you ask him what hes looking for an item.He says "its rare" about virtually anything if you question the prices.

Advertisement