Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones DART

Options
  • 15-11-2012 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, moving into the area and will be commuting to Dublin city centre for work

Can anyone give me an estimation of journey times by dart from Greystones to Dublin Pearse St? some have said 50 mins, others have said 1 hour 20 mins.

Also, is the DART reliable i.e does the line close from time to time randomly (in cases of bad weather/accidents etc)?

Does anyone know if there is a free shuttle bus running from Charlesland into town also in the mornings?

Any info you could give me would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

50 mins will generally do it. There are occasionally closures on the line. When that happens you can use your train ticket to get the 84x into town, it goes down Leeson St.

I don't think the shuttle bus from Charlesland runs anymore but couldn't be sure. You can get the 184 from Charlesland into Greystones for €1.40 or you can walk it in about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

I generally cycle down to the station - there's an area to lock your bike outside. I think it's relatively safe, especially if you don't leave your bike overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

The 'free' Charlesland shuttle is long gone, over 12 months at this stage. If you are buying an annual Dart ticket on the TaxSaver scheme then purchase the Dart/Dublin Bus combined. This will let you get any DublinBus (84x/184) to/from the Dart Station. The Dart takes about 50min to Pearse St. if everything is working as it should.

I use it a lot, generally I find it a good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Plastik wrote: »
    The 'free' Charlesland shuttle is long gone, over 12 months at this stage. If you are buying an annual Dart ticket on the TaxSaver scheme then purchase the Dart/Dublin Bus combined. This will let you get any DublinBus (84x/184) to/from the Dart Station. The Dart takes about 50min to Pearse St. if everything is working as it should.

I use it a lot, generally I find it a good service.

Can I ask when you say generally its a good service, what are the main causes of delays or line closures?

Also how long does the 84x take to get into town?

Thank a million for the responses

Generally it's a good service, the vast majority of the time the trains run 'on-time' i.e. within a window of scheduled time +10 min. The 84x takes longer and personally I find the bus a far inferior service in terms of comfort - less seat space, definitely no chance of dozing off.

Delays on the lines are the same everywhere and can be caused by anything, the same as all the Dart/commuter services - flooding on the line, signal faults, incidents. The Greystones Dart isn't anymore prone to closures than the other Darts.

• Advertisement

Plastik wrote: »
    Generally it's a good service, the vast majority of the time the trains run 'on-time' i.e. within a window of scheduled time +10 min. The 84x takes longer and personally I find the bus a far inferior service in terms of comfort - less seat space, definitely no chance of dozing off.

Delays on the lines are the same everywhere and can be caused by anything, the same as all the Dart/commuter services - flooding on the line, signal faults, incidents. The Greystones Dart isn't anymore prone to closures than the other Darts.

would the bus take longer than an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The last proper closure was October 2011 when part of the Dodder bridge was washed down stream after some serious rain.

I use the DART to Tara st and back from Connolly every weekday and generally find it reliable.

If there are issues Dublin Bus accept rail tickets so you can make your way home.

would the bus take longer than an hour?

1 Hour and 10 minutes.

84X Time Table

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

84x is great during school hol periods. Depending on where exactly in dublin you need to get to it can be a good bet.
    However a dark wet school term morning does result in a long journey time.

• Advertisement

FirstIn wrote: »
    84x is great during school hol periods. Depending on where exactly in dublin you need to get to it can be a good bet.
    However a dark wet school term morning does result in a long journey time.

do you mean longer than an hour and 10 mins?

do you mean longer than an hour and 10 mins?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

FirstIn wrote: »
    Yes.

The condensation on the windows slows it down :)

Just one other thing. It could just be me. The condensation on the windows and the dark mornings probably contribute to this but reading on the bus for me is a non runner. I feel nauseous if I do so.
    However, reading on the dart is fine. A bit off topic!

No, you're not alone. I find it very difficult on the bus, but read both ways for the full trip on the dart. The bus is very disjointed, the dart much smoother.

what is the fare for Charlesland to Dawson street does anyone know?

how much would the weekly return ticket be? I can find no info online

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

what is the fare for Charlesland to Dawson street does anyone know?

how much would the weekly return ticket be? I can find no info online

The bus costs €4.10 each way.

You can get a travel 90 - 10 journey ticket for €21.50 - this works out at €2.15 per journey - so you save €1.95 per journey. Also you can get on another bus for free within 90 minutes.

You can get a rambler - 30 day ticket for €115.00 - if you are just using it to commute to and from Dublin this works out at €1.92 per journey - so you save €2.18 per journey. It could however be used unlimited times in a day costing 3.83.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The bus costs €4.10 each way.

You can get a travel 90 - 10 journey ticket for €21.50 - this works out at €2.15 per journey - so you save €1.95 per journey. Also you can get on another bus for free within 90 minutes.

You can get a rambler - 30 day ticket for €115.00 - if you are just using it to commute to and from Dublin this works out at €1.92 per journey - so you save €2.18 per journey. It could however be used unlimited times in a day costing 3.83.

what would be the best bet for someone commuting from Greystones to Dublin City Centre and back Monday to Friday then?

Would it be the 30 day rambler?

Also what is 90-10 ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

what would be the best bet for someone commuting from Greystones to Dublin City Centre and back Monday to Friday then?

I use the 30 day rambler. Yes it's much cheaper

It's a 10 journey ticket but you can use it several times within 90 minutes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP, but could anyone tell me if the park and ride carp park in greystones is free?

Is it just a matter of first come first served? do I need a ticket etc????

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the thread OP, but could anyone tell me if the park and ride carp park in greystones is free?

It's free & first come, first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Jayob10 wrote: »

Its free, but you'll need to give yourself time to walk to the station. Good rule of thumb is to be parked up ten minutes before your train.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

Taxsaver if your employer does it. Annual ticket effectively works out at about €40 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

It's free & first come, first served.

Indeed it is free, but as it's never even close to being full, I don't think the "first come first served" is really relevant, other than that you have to walk a little further through the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Its free, but you'll need to give yourself time to walk to the station. Good rule of thumb is to be parked up ten minutes before your train.

Agreed, we try to be at the car park no later that 7:23 to get the 7:30 dart. Its usually a 5 minute walk

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Is Wifi 'live' on this route guys?

Cheers :)

Max001 wrote: »
    Is Wifi 'live' on this route guys?

Leo promised there'd be WiFi on the darts by the end of summer 2012 so of course this hasn't happened yet. But the commuter trains have free WiFi. You have to sign on each time you connect but there are apps to do this for you automagically.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Leo promised there'd be WiFi on the darts by the end of summer 2012 so of course this hasn't happened yet. But the commuter trains have free WiFi. You have to sign on each time you connect but there are apps to do this for you automagically.

They've completed phase one of the wifi rollout: stickers advertising free wifi. Not sure when phase two, actual wifi, will be complete!

The wifi discussion can continue over on the commuting and transport forum,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement