Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing a masters to have a better chance at employment?

• 15-11-2012 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm sure this has probably arisen in some thread before but here goes. I qualified as an Irish and history teacher in May. I haven't any teaching experience other than teaching practice and since I completed the course I have emigrated. I am well aware of the job prospects ( or lack of) in Ireland and was, therefore, thinking of doing a masters next September in the hope that it would help me get a teaching job (subbing, anything!). Is it worth my while or should I chance trying to get a job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Pompette

Would you not be in a good position to get a job seeing as you have Irish as a subject..? From what I hear people with Irish walk into a job....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Unfortunately there are few to no jobs in teaching in this country. With regards to the masters perhaps a principal may be able to tell you whether it is worthwhile. But I suspect that trying to get substitution and a foot in the door even on tiny hours may be a better bet. Or even more depressingly moving abroad to get experience

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lmce24

Ya, I'm leaving Australia for Ireland to try get some sort of subbing just for some bit of experience but I'm just not sure about what to do re masters. Tried getting registered to teach in Oz but history itself isn't a subject. It's part of society and environment which has you also teaching geography, economics and things like Cspe :/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gitterbug

Hey LMce. Wat did you register for in oz. I've history in my degree and I'm registered to teach ancient history, history and modern history..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ticar79

Hi, I'm just wondering how do you go about getting registered to teach in Australia ? I have History and Politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Lmce24 wrote: »
    I'm sure this has probably arisen in some thread before but here goes. I qualified as an Irish and history teacher in May. I haven't any teaching experience other than teaching practice and since I completed the course I have emigrated. I am well aware of the job prospects ( or lack of) in Ireland and was, therefore, thinking of doing a masters next September in the hope that it would help me get a teaching job (subbing, anything!). Is it worth my while or should I chance trying to get a job?

My advice: improve your Irish. There is a distinct shortage of people who have Irish to a very high standard. Doing this would be far better for your career than doing a Masters would, and also harder (but doable). In the most obvious practical terms, if you get called for an interview for an Irish post (forget about history as a source of a 22-hour contract), your interview will be competitive. You need to impress by displaying your knowledge.

More long term, when teaching wears you down and you despair, having a high standard of Irish will allow you to move into many other jobs where your language ability will be rewarded. Likewise, during your teaching career there will always be people willing to pay for private tuition to learn it. There are so many other, non directly financial benefits of having expertise in Irish. Very few subjects can claim this.

Hey gitterbug, I was applying to register just for history but it takes so long for them to get anything done here and then the curriculum is so different I just cancelled it. History is only taught to year 11 and 12, before that its s&e.
    Thanks seanchai, my Irish is pretty good. Went to an all Irish secondary school, did my dip through Irish and tp in an all Irish school, I even did history through Irish in first year arts. The masters in question is in scríobh agus cumarsáid na Gaeilge so nothing crappy like filíocht agus prós. I don't see how I can really improve my Irish other than what I already have done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Do A higher diploma in software development, Business Information Systems, Genral business, IT or jobs where online where you see a lack of skilled workers online in various areas. Can always go back teaching when the job area improves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

people applying for language jobs: majority are appalling at their language. Now I am not a language teacher but if I can notice that their german is not good, then its terrible.
    Also, lots of people have masters particularly history/humanities teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Pompette

Hey gitterbug, I was applying to register just for history but it takes so long for them to get anything done here and then the curriculum is so different I just cancelled it. History is only taught to year 11 and 12, before that its s&e.
    Thanks seanchai, my Irish is pretty good. Went to an all Irish secondary school, did my dip through Irish and tp in an all Irish school, I even did history through Irish in first year arts. The masters in question is in scríobh agus cumarsáid na Gaeilge so nothing crappy like filíocht agus prós. I don't see how I can really improve my Irish other than what I already have done?

It sounds like your Irish must be unreal. This will really work in your favour.... From what I hear, you should have no trouble getting a job teaching Irish... everyone I know with Irish has a job like. Especially in Gaelcholaistes, they're really stuck for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Apply now to be on the CDVEC panel and you will come home to a full time job. I know of a school crying out for an Irish teacher.

fall wrote: »
    Apply now to be on the CDVEC panel and you will come home to a full time job. I know of a school crying out for an Irish teacher.

Awh yeah I know it's painful getting registered. If your not staying long there is plenty of casual work that pays a lot better than a teaching position!! Good luck!!

ticar79 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering how do you go about getting registered to teach in Australia ? I have History and Politics.

It depends on what state you would like to teach in.

In NSW, check out the New South Wales instutution of teachers. Fill out their form and it will tell you all the documents you need. They will need to be signed by justice of the peace and all send in.

If something is wrong they will get in contact with you for the correct documents.
    And that's it.

Areyawell, my boyfriend is doing that in college and he tried to explain it to me...didn't end well!!
    Thanks for all the replies. I have a few friends teaching locally and in other counties and there doesn't seem to be much or any opportunities around :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Areyawell, my boyfriend is doing that in college and he tried to explain it to me...didn't end well!!
    Thanks for all the replies. I have a few friends teaching locally and in other counties and there doesn't seem to be much or any opportunities around :(

According to a few different schools there are plenty of language jobs around. One school had a post recently, maternity I think, and it only had one applicant for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Apparently some principals at primary level regard candidates with a masters as a threat. Chew on that!

Hi fall. My local vec won't accept applications onto their sub panel without registration and I'm still waiting to hear from the TC! Where's that job going? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 annewithane42

I am qualified to teach Business Studies and Religion to LC Hons level, would these subjects be in demand in Austrilia?
    Also, anyone know of any good recruitment agencies that could help Irish Teachers get jobs in Austrilia?

Hi annwithane42. SEEK is your best bet for looking for teaching jobs in Australia but you must be registered over there to apply for any teaching jobs. There is no central teaching council as such, you must register with the council in the State you wish to live in, i.e. if you register with WACOT (Western Australia) you will not be registered to teach in NSW. Their secondary school system is very similar to the UKs so you don't have kids doing 10 or 11 subjects for junior cert level so it all depends on the school. There are schools everywhere in Australia, ever postcode will have about 3 secondary schools and theyre always looking for Irish teachers! Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

dambarude wrote: »
    Apparently some principals at primary level regard candidates with a masters as a threat. Chew on that!

I've heard of this at second level too. Just shocking if it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

I wouldn't bother with a masters as a means to improving teaching prospects and even if you did get a job theres no longer an extra allowance of having it. You'd be better off doing the likes of a dip to pick up religion or career guidance as an extra. What about also doing some tefl in the meantime in other countries? At least it would give you teaching experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Career guidance???

I wouldn't be offering that as advice, the people that are already in jobs were cut completely or only have part hours so anyone new getting qualified hasn't a hope apart from maternity leave. One in probably 80% or more of schools 2 max in the big schools and as I said hadly any doing it on full hours from this year with the cuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

But it does offer an option for work outside of the school environment too if one was to secure partial hours in the likes of Irish or with a VEC who might have part time hours in either in more than one school in an area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

In reality though you are more likely to get hours in a vec with any other subject rather than career guidance. Take even a days subbing every now and then if the career guidance teacher calls in sick they will not specifically look for a sub career guidance teacher unless it is long term illness

Advertisement