Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michelin star Twitter bullies - disappointing.

Options
  • 15-11-2012 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So I've always been a fan of various cookery shows and particularly certain chefs who are at the top of their game.

I read this in the Guardian today!

Shame to see so many Michelin starred chefs ganging up on a minor food blogger just because he had the gall to write a bad review. In case you are thinking that this was a bitter foodie with a chip on his shoulder, it isn't. Only recently he apparently wrote a rave review of Tom Kerridge, only to have Kerridge be one of the chefs to gang up on him and insult him, driving him off twitter.

Personally, I think the blogger should always have been ready for criticism but the way the Twitter machine works he probably wasn't prepared for the ferocity of the chefs. I thought Tom Kerridge's remarks were particularly cutting and unpleasant, makes me view him with a different eye altogether.

Disappointing, I've always known top chefs were arrogant (have to be to reach the top) but to expect to always receive rave reviews from regular punters is a bit much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I presume his food is better than his command of English.
    Nice way to gain respect with chefs...!! I think your a **** and this its personal sorry...!! [sic][

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jaysus! That is disgraceful! :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's nasty, and you'd think that they'd be a bit less insecure given their success as chefs. The arrogance of some chefs nowadays is ridiculous. I think that sometimes people are afraid to say they don't like something because of the hype around some celebrity chefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Didn't something similar happen recently between Tom Doorley(very unlike me to take his side in an argument) and Sebastian Masi of Locks Brasserie, they had a follow on discussion on the radio and Doorley made him sound like an absolute idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Didn't something similar happen recently between Tom Doorley(very unlike me to take his side in an argument) and Sebastian Masi of Locks Brasserie, they had a follow on discussion on the radio and Doorley made him sound like an absolute idiot.

It sounded to me like Doorley was the idiot (as he does usually) and also that there was more to it. Doorley is, not unreasonably imho, barred from quite a few establishments.

• Advertisement

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    It sounded to me like Doorley was the idiot (as he does usually) and also that there was more to it. Doorley is, not unreasonably imho, barred from quite a few establishments.

I'd agree with your sentiments on the whole(I have zero time for Tom) but you must have listened to something different because Masi came off looking much worse in that particular debate, think it was on Newstalk. Don't think there was much to it, Doorley was refused entry because he didn't write a glowing review on his previous visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Doorley was refused entry because he didn't write a glowing review on his previous visit.

It was a savage review. When you consider Doorley knows nothing about food and even less about wine that can be frustrating for a business owner... and he's still at it.

Masi's mistake was going on the radio with that shill. He thrives on attention.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    It was a savage review. When you consider Doorley knows nothing about food and even less about wine that can be frustrating for a business owner... and he's still at it.

Masi's mistake was going on the radio with that shill. He thrives on attention.

Thanks, I haven't read the original review or anything, nor have I eaten in Locks so I can't really comment on its validity, the fact that they have subsequently received the star would suggest he was wide of the mark, I just thought it was relevant to this topic as critics, professional and amateur alike are entitled to their opinions. Irish critics are a boring enough lot to be fair and a savaging is a rare thing, I like to read the English newspapers and those guys(Gill, Norman, Coren etc) take no prisoners, nor should they IMO, I know a bad review can be damaging but I'd rather have honesty, the Irish restaurant/critic scene is like a club, certain establishments appear to be beyond criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Seems like his issue was with the critic saying one thing to his face and another in the review. A bit of an overreaction from Mosi to say the least, but what on earth were the other chefs doing? Ridiculous on a personal and professional level.

Advertisement