Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed Thread

Options
  • 15-11-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I opened a thread in the cycling forum which was then closed by a mod. I then got a mail saying I had be warned for a breach of the forum charter. I was told that under the forum rules I could not advertise anything that was advertised elsewhere.
    I had an ebay link in my thread which was purely for a description of the spec of the bike and wasn't actually my ebay add selling the bike elsewhere. When I replied to the Mod and advised him this he said he wouldn't be re-opening the thread anyway because I was selling the bike for somebody else.

Having gone through the Boards.ie FAQ for more details & I don't see anywhere that says I can't sell on behalf of somebody else. I think it is very unfair as all I'm trying to do is help out a friend who recently became unemployed and needs a bit of extra cash to pay the bills. He also doesn't have a broadband connection and that is why he asked me to do it.

I have also sold items on adverts on behalf of other family members and can't understand what the issue is.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry, but I'm only just seeing this thread now

From the forum rules
    Beasty wrote: »
    Selling anything for someone else - you must have permission from one of the mods to do this
    Basically you need to check with the mods first before selling on behalf of someone else

The reason for this is that the selling forum is for posters to sell their own surplus cycling gear. Buyers like to know the history of the gear and who they are buying from - this is much more difficult when they are not dealing with the actual owner. It's also not for any commercial selling - we don't want posters to start their own little business of selling stuff on behalf of others through the forum.

We also have an issue with many posters advertising stuff they have for sale elsewhere - this is strictly against forum rules, but if you are trying to sell something here the actual owner could well be trying to sell it somewhere else without your knowledge, which would be a problem.

If you had asked one of the mods we would probably then have checked whether you have a history of doing this, or if this was a one-off - if the latter I am sure whichever mod you had asked would have been OK about it.

Your friend is of course perfectly welcome to open their own Boards account, build up a positive posting history and start using the Cycling Adverts sub-forum

I would add that we have a history of many posters simply not bothering reading the forum rules, and for the past year have applied zero tolerance policy. Basically if someone breaches the forum charter they can expect a yellow card for their first offence and the thread to be deleted. This encourages the vast majority of "offenders" to actually bother reading the rules, and not re-offending (as higher penalties apply for subsequent breaches).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement