Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering work location

Options
  • 15-11-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    Hope someone can help me out !
    I'm employed by the HSE and am transferring from one hospital site to another, doing the same job, same rate of pay, same everything.

The thing is, my line manager wants me to resign from the HSE in one part of the country in order to take up the transfer option. I'm reluctant to do this as I contacted NERA and they confirmed that if I dissolve my contract of employment, well, I've resigned and my employer has no obligation to me.

Managements position is that if I don't resign they won't transfer my pay details etc to my new work location payroll section and I'll be on emergency tax indefinitely !

Please, any advice on what to do ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Easy, call the tax authorities and request a tax statement once you've left your current location. When you get your tax statement hand it in to your new payroll department and they will then correctly deduct the appropiate tax for you. Problem resolved while giving a finger to your old manager's threats (which I'd take as empty anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, contact your union for advice: they must deal with this sort of thing all the time.

Rules / practices in the health sector are sometimes different from the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ipso dipso

Thanks Nody, think the idea was that I'd resign and then have to start off again on a new contract. Love my job, but the bureaucracy and obstructiveness drives me loco !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ipso dipso

I left SlipThrough a good while back, but the branch secretary locally here advised a colleague to resign as 'it's only a technicality' ...

I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In that case, seek legal advice then.

I actually think that it probably is only a technicality: you will have worked continuously for the same organisation (albiet different branches of it), so would still have all your entitlement to redundancy, pension etc. You will be in a new job anyway, so probation laws etc do apply: this happens to anyone who changes jobs within the same company.

But really ... I don't know, other posters can only give you anecdotal advice, you've rejected the employee-collective advice option - so legal advice is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Could a resignation be considered to be a break in service? Something about this sounds fishy. Definitely get legal advice.

Advertisement