Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 year olds party

Options
  • 15-11-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi All,

its my daughters 6th birthday party next week. Ive booked a magician for 2 hours who will play games, spot prices, magic tricks and disco....

Is 2 hours too long ? Would 1 hour be better? I'm worried they're attention span may not last 2 hours!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

are they all going to be 6 that is at the party?

I had a magician at my 7 year olds party for an hour and 15 minutes. They loved him so much but to be honest the younger kids began to fail near the end and I'm not sure that they would have sat for much longer.

How long is your party going to be overall?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Whatever happened to Popcorn, jelly, Fanta and having ten kids in the front room watching kindergarten cop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Popcorn, jelly, Fanta and having ten kids in the front room watching kindergarten cop

Not really helping the OP in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

PinkFly wrote: »
    Not really helping the OP in fairness

I'll admit that wasn't the best advice so i apologise. I just think parties these days are very over the top. You are putting yourself to such an unnecessary expense.

Children will entertain themselves and play with each other and generally make the most of what is in front of them.

Put the money for the magician away, save it, treat yourself (or the kids at a later stage if you want) to something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭solarplexus

I do agree that parties can be a bit over the top for that age group. I always said I wouldn't get roped into all that jazz but when I have to entertain 15 kids with a 20 month old in the mix it seems like the easier option. With entertainment the party would last 2.5 hrs and without it wouls be 2 hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I do agree that parties can be a bit over the top for that age group. I always said I wouldn't get roped into all that jazz but when I have to entertain 15 kids with a 20 month old in the mix it seems like the easier option. With entertainment the party would last 2.5 hrs and without it wouls be 2 hrs.
    I am not a parent but have helped out my sister with her children's (3 of them) birthday parties over many years. Her oldest is now 11, an 8 year old and a 6 year old.
    Generally she has had the parties last for 2 to 2 and a half hours. Games were organised like pin the tail on the donkey, pass the parcel, dip dip duck, musical statues, etc. We also had colouring in competitions.
    Then she served the food (oven chips and pizza) and birthday cake. There were homemade buns with and without icing, sweeties, carrot sticks, etc for them to pick at when they came in and out of the kitchen.

The time flies by, the kids have a ball and are ready to go home after the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭solarplexus

Hi Penny Dreadful, you have just described that last party that took place in this house for my eldest daughter. I know the time does fly. I do wish I had my sis to help out but with work commitments it's not easy. My 6 year old daughter also has a few male friends also but to be honest I would be happier if it was an all girl party so that I could do girlie things with them like nail painting and the like. of course I don't want anyone to take offence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi Penny Dreadful, you have just described that last party that took place in this house for my eldest daughter. I know the time does fly. I do wish I had my sis to help out but with work commitments it's not easy. My 6 year old daughter also has a few male friends also but to be honest I would be happier if it was an all girl party so that I could do girlie things with them like nail painting and the like. of course I don't want anyone to take offence!!

The boys would be perfectly happy with the pin the tail on the donkey games, etc. They aren't particularly girly. Maye (weather permitting) also have a few events in the garden such as egg and spoon race, 3 legged race, etc. That will run the extra energy out of the boys (and girls who may have it too!) and keep things a little calmer for the inside house stuff.

I know not everyone has family close by or that can give time to help out and it is impossible to run a party like that on your own and keep an eye on everyone and everything. Is your husband/partner around? I'm sure if you have a good plan of action in place between the two of you it would work. If not is one of the other mothers willing to stay and help out a little?

I love kids birthday parties I'd nearly help out myself and I'm a well experienced aunty!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you are painting a child's nails wouldn't the other children be a bit bored hanging around waiting their turn. I know if that's what was on offer at a birthday when I was a kid I'd have been bored out of my head (a girl).

Have a DVD on of some kid's film when they are arriving. Have table set and ready to go. When all kids have arrived, bring them to kitchen or wherever you have set up to eat, chips, junk food etc. You'll knock at least 30 minutes out of this.

Then bring them into your sitting room and sit them on the floor and play pass the parcel. Have a parcel done up in advance with cheap trinkets, small keyrings, glittery pens etc, from pound shop, with enough prizes in it for each child. You control where the parcel stops with the stereo so each kid gets a prize. Bring them all out to cut cake, take a couple of photos, blow out candles sing happy birthday (or leave them where they are and bring cake to them as they are already in place. Then start music for disco.

No need to hire someone to do any of this.

Advertisement