Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend college course/ something else...

Options
  • 15-11-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all! A little about me before I start here... I'm 28, soon to be 29 and I'm totally at a loose end as to what to do...

I've got a degree in Journalism, and I'm a qualified Personal Trainer, but much like the rest of my generation, I've spent the last few years working in a job that hs nothing to do with my qualifications. I did the PT course so I could be self employed, but in recessionary Ireland, it's not easy and I had to go back to my old job. (Retail, 6+ years of it)

I'm currently, (again, like a lot of my generation) in New Zealand. I'll be home in May, as myself and the girlfriend came over here for the year to get the travelling all sorted before 'growing up' properly! (House, Family etc etc etc)

So, I've spent the last few months doing a lot of thinking, and I need people to help me out here. I really want to open a café, but having done some research online and reading old threads here on boards, seems this might not be a great idea. I'm sure it's typical pipe dream stuff, but I'm a really hard worker, and I'm very driven, especially when working or myself! (Personal Training almost broke me financially, despite working 80 hour weeks!) I think I could do it, but have zero knowledge on a small business scale.

Ideally, I want to do a course that will prepare me for running my own business, especially one in the café/ small restaurant area. (We're not talking a massive premises here, just, ideally, a small 40/50 seater premises in suburban Dublin.)

My other theory though, is that it might be best to get a job when I get home in a cafe similar to the one in my imagination and see what I think and try get as much experience as possible!

Any advice appreciated if you can gleam any sense at all from the massive mindfart above....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

I'm in the process of setting up a small business myself (training courses / business coaching), despite the fact that I'm not an expert in the field. All I can say is that the risk factor aside, just 'show up', and work on it step by step.

Some general advice would be to contact your county's Enterprise Board and see about funding or mentoring (thought you would need to write up a business plan).

At it's most basic level, entrepreneurship is about finding a problem and providing a solution (or more advanced; use marketing to create a demand 'perceived problem' where none existed before - see bottled water as the prime example).

Where's the gap in the market; how can you run a café differently to the 000's already in the country? Will you stand out on price, service, speed, quality of food, your brand alone? I'd suggest reading up on 'value proposition'.

It's no secret that getting capital is the main problem right now - the bank's aren't lending, and it's as simple as that. For this reason, everyone's looking for a business model with low barriers to entry and low initial investment.

Possibly make a rough list of what exactly you would need to rent, buy to start off.
    Rent, equipment, bills, staff, utensils, tables-chairs (fittings) ... I don't know this area well, but you get the idea. - and more importantly work out how long it will take to break even on the investment.

Then there's the extra HACCP training and regulations ...

Would you look into franchising? Or would you prefer your own brand/control?

I'm sure others than offer more advice; that's just some general ideas to get you started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

At 29 it is certainly time to get moving on a proper career. You are on the other side of the world and from your post I take it intend doing more travelling. You would be well advised to keep your eyes open on your distant travels seeking out ideas and business concepts that are NOT here already. Research them while you are there and then bring home some fresh new ideas to try at home.

Cheers

Peter

At 29 it is certainly time to get moving on a proper career.

Not sure if I'd agree with that sentiment Peter. I might be wrong, but the old ideas of 'find a concrete career by age x', and 'stick at it' is slowly making way for portfolio careers.

Then again, I'm young(ish) and not feeling the big 30 looming ahead just yet.

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Not sure if I'd agree with that sentiment Peter. I might be wrong, but the old ideas of 'find a concrete career by age x', and 'stick at it' is slowly making way for portfolio careers.

Then again, I'm young(ish) and not feeling the big 30 looming ahead just yet.

Which I never said! Get, or start if you prefer but never did I suggest you finish on such a final career path. What I do know, as appears to be recognised by the OP, at whom my remarks were directed, 29 is more than time to start getting serious about one's career. Perhaps I just hit on a personal sensitivity here!

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

At 29 it is certainly time to get moving on a proper career. You are on the other side of the world and from your post I take it intend doing more travelling. You would be well advised to keep your eyes open on your distant travels seeking out ideas and business concepts that are NOT here already. Research them while you are there and then bring home some fresh new ideas to try at home.

Cheers

Peter

No, this is as I said the last pitstop on the way to careers-ville and grown-up town.

There's a massive cafe culture over here and I think that I'd be able to run a very good cafe with a small enough budget.

I reckon maybe i'll do a course on business management while getting experience in cafes when I get home. See what works and doesn't while I save up capital.

• Advertisement

Which I never said! Get, or start if you prefer but never did I suggest you finish on such a final career path. What I do know, as appears to be recognised by the OP, at whom my remarks were directed, 29 is more than time to start getting serious about one's career. Perhaps I just hit on a personal sensitivity here!

Cheers

Peter

It's only a message board, so sensitivity isn't an issue. I made a comment on your post, you retorted, end of.

Cheers.

brianblaze wrote: »
    No, this is as I said the last pitstop on the way to careers-ville and grown-up town.

There's a massive cafe culture over here and I think that I'd be able to run a very good cafe with a small enough budget.

I reckon maybe i'll do a course on business management while getting experience in cafes when I get home. See what works and doesn't while I save up capital.

Now to the substantive point!

Doing a good start your own business course is essential for anyone contemplating taking the plunge to strike out on their own for the first time. There should probably be a law that ensures that it is mandatory!! However running a cafe/deli/coffee shop does not require formal business education in the traditional sense.

The actual work experience in such a place will give you a huge operational eductation and you can learn much by keeping your eyes open and seeing how you could do it better or more efficiently.

I would proffer the advice again that researching a concept that would differentiate your offering from the huge number of existing operations is vital and then you have the the search for a viable location to open in, should be your primary focus points. This is a packed marketplace, with many opting to open similar new venues as it is a relatively low barrier to entry activity with modest startup capital required. One only has to trawl through the threads on this forum to see the scale of interest in this area of business. There are also many tips on the issues/costs that need to be considered.

To end on a positive note, you are a qualified personal trainer, fitness and personal wellbeing is a growing area, could you combine that skill with a healthy coffee shop concept?

Cheers

Peter

I was thinking of throwing in a healthy edge to the whole thing alright. Maybe see about linking up with a local gym for discounts for members etc.... It wouldn't be the 'selling point' or anything, just a small facet to a larger total picture I have.

I would like to do a course on starting my own business, if anyone can suggest a good one? I reckon best to learn by doing while I'm here, and then try to do it better back home, but with a solid education on the fundamentals first.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Not the way you were thinking of going, but your personal trainer qualification got me thinking. I'm wondering would you consider using this qualification but going down the lower cost, higher volume route.

Something like: www.bootcampireland.com

I've seen a good few people wearing their t-shirts at races, so it looks like they are doing pretty well in this economy. I would imagine the set up costs would be much more managable too.

I ran bootcamps in 2009/2010 but there are a few problems in terms of getting a permanent location and then getting insurance. Would be very easy for someone to hurt themselves and take the trainer to the cleaners. Also I found outdoor bootcamps are very dependant on the weather, nobody wants to flip tyres or do hack squats in the rain sadly!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement