Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arsenal Away

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sending off screwed us, I liked what I saw before that. AVB was shrewd with his tatics, felt sorry for him today. I truly believe he will bring success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Sending off screwed us, I liked what I saw before that. AVB was shrewd with his tatics, felt sorry for him today. I truly believe he will bring success.
    +1, have huge faith in the man. I've said it a few time already, our squad just isn't good enough for top 4 atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Only Southampton have conceded more goals than us in the league - shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

As for the red card for Ade, can't have any complaints. Worth a sending off.

On the Dempsey issue, a manager would have to be pretty ruthless to get rid of a player after a handful of months at the club wouldn't they?

Just seeing Ronnie Whelan on RTE, some spoofer. Mentioning Bale and Lennon as off form players? , it's as if he is picking names out at random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

flyswatter wrote: »
    Just seeing Ronnie Whelan on RTE, some spoofer. Mentioning Bale and Lennon as off form players? , it's as if he is picking names out at random.

I don't bother watching highlights on RTE anymore, its terrible. If you're a Spurs fan watch Match if the Day with Lineker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I don't bother watching highlights on RTE anymore, its terrible. If you're a Spurs fan watch Match if the Day with Lineker.

Yeah, it's rare I watch RTE for the highlights. I actually think Darragh Maloney is a good presenter though and Richard Sadlier is a decent pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Redknapp on MOTD, gonna be interesting to hear his opinion on the result considering he got the same result with a better 11 men...

THFC wrote: »
    +1, have huge faith in the man. I've said it a few time already, our squad just isn't good enough for top 4 atm.

I just hope Levy backs him, and not with mickey mouse singings. For me yesterday was a big turning point in regards to AVB. The managerially merry go round needs to stop and funds made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

flyswatter wrote: »

Yeah, it's rare I watch RTE for the highlights. I actually think Darragh Maloney is a good presenter though and Richard Sadlier is a decent pundit.

Poor old Maloney. Younger than Previous hosts, doesn't have the big names like Giles and Dunphy, and yet people complain...

Bill is Harry, Maloney is AVB.

Is Ronnie Whelan huddlestone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Redknapp on MOTD, gonna be interesting to hear his opinion on the result considering he got the same result with a better 11 men...

Harry said we'd finish ahead of the goons and get top 4.
    I just hope Levy backs him, and not with mickey mouse singings. For me yesterday was a big turning point in regards to AVB. The managerially merry go round needs to stop and funds made available.

anyone really believe that Levy will back AVB with serious money? plus its hard to get top quality in during the January window

• Advertisement

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Harry said we'd finish ahead of the goons and get top 4.

anyone really believe that Levy will back AVB with serious money? plus its hard to get top quality in during the January window

Well yes, I'd like to think so. It doesn't take a genius to work out the departments we're lacking. Probabilty of a decent January addition...unlikely. I couldn't even name who we have on the bench these days?

I'd like to see more of Carroll. Not neccessarily our saviour, but a youngster with more talent that's currently on offer. Hopefully Dembele is back soo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Well yes, I'd like to think so. It doesn't take a genius to work out the departments we're lacking. Probabilty of a decent January addition...unlikely. I couldn't even name who we have on the bench these days?

I'd like to see more of Carroll. Not neccessarily our saviour, but a youngster with more talent that's currently on offer. Hopefully Dembele is back soo.

Agreed Carroll has to get more match time.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Anyone really believe that Levy will back AVB with serious money? plus its hard to get top quality in during the January window

Well you won't see me making anymore trips to WHL this season if he doesn't. Adebayor is off to the ACN for about a month in January, if we don't have somebody lined up we're fcuked! Imagine JD picks up an injury between now and then, what will we do recall Harry Kane (injured too)...

Shane Long for £10m!

Badly need Benny back, Bale has been ordinary. Tracking back and defending seem beneath him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

We looked really good yesterday until Ade got sent off, that said i still don't think there was enough to say AVB got it right.

For all the promise in that first 20 mins or so, we don't know he'd have hauled off an attacker after HT to hold a 1-0 lead.

Also, i thought we actually weren't defensive enough then when we needed to be. We seemed to be playing a high line when we went down to ten men. I think with ten men we should have been defending deep at least until we might go behind.

Ade getting sent off meant it would be unfair to call against him either.

I hope we turn it around but nothing has changed for me to allay those serious concerns that really kicked in after the Wigan game.

did anyone hear avb's post match conference , he said we were in control for the whole game and had more chances as arsenal .

Was he watching the same game as us ?

mickman wrote: »
    did anyone hear avb's post match conference , he said we were in control for the whole game and had more chances as arsenal.

Are you sure? I've seen the MOTD interview where he said we were in control of the game up until the sending off (which is true 4-0 goal chances) and that we played very good in the second half with the players showing no fear and alot of passion.

TBH I think he gave a good account of himself, the press are always looking to use his quotes out of context, have you a link to the post match conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Are you sure? I've seen the MOTD interview where he said we were in control of the game up until the sending off (which is true 4-0 goal chances) and that we played very good in the second half with the players showing no fear and alot of passion.

TBH I think he gave a good account of himself, the press are always looking to use his quotes out of context, have you a link to the post match conference?

“We were very, very good from the first minute to the last with 11 men and 10 men,” said Villas-Boas. “I am extremely proud of the players. We were in control, apart from 10 ­minutes before half-time.

I think Ade got sent off around the 20 minute mark. For the last 25 minutes or so we could not get the ball out of our half. It was wave after wave of Arsenal attack. While AVB was flicking through his coaching manual to see how he could change things at half time Arsenal were tearing us apart.
    AVB is a manger who believes everything comes out of a manual. What we needed at that crucial period before halftime was someone who could bark out orders to the players, someone who could lift the players to respond to the onslaught, someone who could man manage. AVB is most certainly not that man.
    True he made brave changes at halftime but IT WAS TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!! Why do people praise him for the changes he made when we were 3-1 down. The game was more or less over by halftime.
    This bull**** he came out with that we were the better team for the game is very annoying. We lost 5-2 against our bitter rivals. They deserved to hammer us as we were terrible for the majority of the game. It could have been 7 or 8.
    Three huge games for AVB coming up. We will be very lucky to get anything away in Rome v a very talented Lazio team. Lose to another one of our rivals on Sunday at home to West Ham and there will be huge pressure on AVB going into the Liverpool game next Wednesday.

I think he did fine on satyurday also but to come out and say we were in control for the whole game except for a few mins was a bit mad

“We were very, very good from the first minute to the last with 11 men and 10 men,” said Villas-Boas. “I am extremely proud of the players. We were in control, apart from 10 ­minutes before half-time.

That's fairly accurate, what else could he say, we were good with eleven men, we were good with ten men, except for the panic that set in leading up to half-time, Arsenal smelt blood.
    What we needed at that crucial period before halftime was someone who could bark out orders to the players, someone who could lift the players to respond to the onslaught, someone who could man manage. AVB is most certainly not that man. True he made brave changes at halftime but IT WAS TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!! Why do people praise him for the changes he made when we were 3-1 down. The game was more or less over by halftime.

Crazy talk, imagine if he had withdrawn Naughton and Walker for Dawson and Dempsey at 30mins?! The team would be in total disarray and the fans would be callling AVB and idiot. From the sending off we lasted 25mins without conceeding, our faith was sealed by two late goals, in any match its a perfect time to score (from Arsenals POV) regardless of how many men are on the pitch.

At half time I wanted to turn the TV off because the result was only going one way but I was proud of the second half performance.

• Advertisement

That's fairly accurate, what else could he say, we were good with eleven men, we were good with ten men, except for the panic that set in leading up to half-time, Arsenal smelt blood.

Crazy talk, imagine if he had withdrawn Naughton and Walker for Dawson and Dempsey at 30mins?! The team would be in total disarray and the fans would be callling AVB and idiot. From the sending off we lasted 25mins without conceeding, our faith was sealed by two late goals, in any match its a perfect time to score (from Arsenals POV) regardless of how many men are on the pitch.

At half time I wanted to turn the TV off because the result was only going one way but I was proud of the second half performance.

What is the difference between changing the players at halftime rather than 20 minutes? 2 goals.
    It's true that we held out for 20 minutes before they scored but we were getting destroyed. Where were the leaders at that crucial period? Has the manager built up a resolve in our team or he his plan simply to take the lead and hang on for dear life.

Proud of our performance in the second half? The game was over.
    Arsenal were merely going through the motions.

What is the difference between changing the players at halftime rather than 20 minutes? 2 goals.
    It's true that we held out for 20 minutes before they scored but we were getting destroyed. Where were the leaders at that crucial period? Has the manager built up a resolve in our team or he his plan simply to take the lead and hang on for dear life.

Proud of our performance in the second half? The game was over.
    Arsenal were merely going through the motions.

I understand your point of view but I thought AVB's management of the situation was pretty good. He made a bold move at half time and it nearly paid off. The Arsenal crowd were anxious, we nearly pulled it back to 4-3 and I think if we'd managed to get in at half time without the two late goals we might have got something from the game.

For comparison: Think back to Crouch getting sent off in the Bernabeu, HR waited until half-time and luckily got in at 1-0 down, took off Vdv for Defoe, and we got hammered 4-0.

I thought we played well in the second half considering we were a man down.

I understand your point of view but I thought AVB's management of the situation was pretty good. He made a bold move at half time and it nearly paid off. The Arsenal crowd were anxious, we nearly pulled it back to 4-3 and I think if we'd managed to get in at half time without the two late goals we might have got something from the game.

For comparison: Think back to Crouch getting sent off in the Bernabeu, HR waited until half-time and luckily got in at 1-0 down, took off Vdv for Defoe, and we got hammered 4-0.

I thought we played well in the second half considering we were a man down.

Therein lies the problem - "if we'd managed to get in at half time without the two goals"...... We didn't because our manager was too busy rooting through his coaching manual instead of concentrating on the job at hand.

Still do not get the praise heaped on AVB for changes he made at 3-1 down. We still lost the second half 2-1. The way Arsenal stroked the ball around us was embarrassing. I don't think any one of their midfield broke a sweat in the second half.

Its funny how people view the same situation ie HR was lucky to come in at halftime only one down, took off VDV for Defoe and we got hammered compared with Harry got us in just one goal down at halftime, took off a half fit VDv who would not work his socks off and brought on the bundle of energy in Defoe to give us an outlet away against one of the greatest teams in the world.
    I don't think anyone here would have liked to seen HR go 3-4-2 or 3-4-1-1 in the second half v Real Madrid.

I do understand the comparison with the Crouchy sending off v Madrid. I wanted our team to show the world how we could compete against the best and it was all over once the red card was issued. Quite similar to what happened on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

AVB is a manger who believes everything comes out of a manual. What we needed at that crucial period before halftime was someone who could bark out orders to the players, someone who could lift the players to respond to the onslaught, someone who could man manage. AVB is most certainly not that man.
    True he made brave changes at halftime but IT WAS TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!! Why do people praise him for the changes he made when we were 3-1 down. The game was more or less over by halftime.

AVB is not that kind of man no but every football manager has a different philosophy. For me when it got to the last 10 minutes of the first half it was up to our more experienced players on the pitch (gallas, jan, bale, sandro) to rally the troops.

As for the changes he made I thought he was brave and spot on with his timing. He waited until they were in the dressing room im sure so he could explain everyones role in the new system.

Doesnt hide the fact it was depressing stuff to watch but I dont think that anyone can point a finger at AVB for the result. Mine is firmly pointed at ADE. Absolutely shocking tackle

MrKingsley wrote: »
    AVB is not that kind of man no but every football manager has a different philosophy. For me when it got to the last 10 minutes of the first half it was up to our more experienced players on the pitch (gallas, jan, bale, sandro) to rally the troops.

As for the changes he made I thought he was brave and spot on with his timing. He waited until they were in the dressing room im sure so he could explain everyones role in the new system.

Doesnt hide the fact it was depressing stuff to watch but I dont think that anyone can point a finger at AVB for the result. Mine is firmly pointed at ADE. Absolutely shocking tackle

Agreed. We looked in good shape until the sending off. Stupid tackle.

As for the players stepping up to take control - sadly we are lacking in the leader department. Jan is a great player but very quiet. Bale is a world class player but no leader. Gallas cannot do it anyone- the sooner either BAE gets back and we move Jan in beside Caulker or hopefully Kaboul will return soon. Sandro does his stuff and if more played with his heart/passion we will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Im just gonna write this one off tbh. Once we went down to 10 men, there was only gonna be one result if I'm being honest. Disgusted and angry that we were well beaten, but the red card was the turning point that changed the game.

We'll get sweet revenge, don't worry about that.

In saying all that, 6 points badly needed now

Advertisement