Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Use Iphone as IPod

• 15-11-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I have an old iphone that I wont to give to my kid to use as ipod only. Can this be done - can u still use wi-fi to get things.

Please bear in mind my level of tech know how is very very limited

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I think you misread the question about wifi but yes op just remove the SIM card and work away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

i dont think the op wants his kids to have the wifi.

you can disable wifi within the settings on the phone aswell as take the sim out, then its an iPod pretty much. You can delete all the apps that are on it aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I have an old iphone that I wont to give to my kid to use as ipod only. Can this be done - can u still use wi-fi to get things.

Are you concerned about them buying stuff on the app store etc on your account?

Just reset the iphone - this will blank out all your details including app store etc. Go to settings>general>reset

Then set the phone up again using a new email address. Don't register your credit card details etc.

If your concern is safety ie. that the child will be able to surf the internet. I'm not sure you can 'hard disable' wifi on an iphone. Certainly not in a way that would stop any sort of smart kid. You could just make sure not to give them the password to the wifi router at home? (although they may still get access in other places).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Please bear in mind my level of tech know how is very very limited

Many thanks

So just to recap the answers. Yes you can, easiest way is to remove the sim, but your kid will have all your texts/photos/contacts/emails etc. So maybe just set it up as new, settings->general->reset->erase all contents and settings. This will erase everything off the phone (contacts/apps/photos/email accounts etc). With regards to internet/wifi yes you can use wifi if you want. If you don't want this: in settings->general->restrictions you can disable use of various apps including safari (internet), installing/deleting apps, itunes and some others (this may depend on your iOS).
    You don't need to delete/reset the phone if you don't want to but if you want to make sure no apps/music will be purchased go to settings->itunes&app store, select your Apple ID and select sign out, it's a good idea to also disable in App purchases in general->restrictions see: http://www.intomobile.com/2011/06/07/howto-turn-off-inapp-purchases-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad/

Advertisement