Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bat Symbolism

Options
  • 15-11-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First off i must confess I'm not spiritual but i have just experienced something that might have been and need your opinions.

Second of all I'm not sure if this is in the right section, mods please feel free to move it if it isn't.

So last night there were a group of us that went over to my Grans house for her 80th birthday last night. Not a big group just 6 people.

Anyway my mother brought out the cake and lit the candles for her to blow out, everyone was cheering and singing happy birthday to her as she did, then just that moment where she blew them out we noticed a bat fly above our heads for about 15 seconds then flew downstairs.

We were all fairly shocked at the coincidence that it happened just as she blew the candles out and thought it was a bird. We went downstairs(Backwards house, kitchen upstairs/bedrooms downstairs) and looked for about 5 minutes till we found the bat hiding in a corner.

Most people ran into bedrooms from fright but my gran without hesitation got some tissue paper, picked it up and while it was screeching in her hand she threw it out the window.

Now i must say why I'm asking, most people that were there were saying it seemed like a symbol , my grandad died 4 years ago around this time of year and everyone especially my gran miss him tremendously. They might be clinging onto that feeling though because they miss him so much.

Both my grandparents were/are extremely religious if that makes any difference. It just seemed like a big coincidence that it happened especially when i've never seen a bat before and didn't think they were very common in Ireland.

I googled the symbolism and it means different things to different people but mainly means death or rebirth.
    I also have a slightly bad quality camera phone photo of the bat sitting down hiding if anyone wants to see and my brother has a video of it flying as my gran blew out the candles that he still has to send onto me.

Do ye think it's anything?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I came home one night lately to find a live bat swimming in the toilet bowl. (Great puns were had about bats in the 'bat'hroom ;) ) So they do sometimes get inside alright.

If it werent for the timing you probably wouldnt think much of it. Google brought up this which is kinda what you said. If you get your own personal meaning from it, and it makes sense to you that it was a sign, then I see no reason why you cannot take that and get comfort from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Oryx wrote: »
    I came home one night lately to find a live bat swimming in the toilet bowl. (Great puns were had about bats in the 'bat'hroom ;) ) So they do sometimes get inside alright.

If it werent for the timing you probably wouldnt think much of it. Google brought up this which is kinda what you said. If you get your own personal meaning from it, and it makes sense to you that it was a sign, then I see no reason why you cannot take that and get comfort from it.

That's the page i was looking at too. And completely agree with you with if it wasn't for the timing i wouldn't think twice about it.

Thanks for your reply, just thought was there a different meaning to it, it was very eerie when it happened it got me thinking batsh*t crazy! ;)

Advertisement