Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky taking direct debit twice - trouble getting a refund

Options
  • 15-11-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi,

I don't know how this happened but sky have been taking the direct debit out of my account twice since last October. I only realised in July (I know my fault).

So I have been trying since August to rectify. Basically sky are giving me the run around. I have spent literally hours on the phone to them at this stage. I keep getting put on hold & mysteriously cut off. They keep saying that they will sort the problem but don't. Then I have no choice but to ring the call centre again and the same story I get cut off.

They did only take the direct debit once in October this year. But then I got a letter saying that if I didn't pay within 14 days they were going to get a solicitor on the case. Then same story with the phone line.

They are making no attempt to repay the money, it's €372 a this stage, so it may not matter to them but it matters to me.

Surely, there is something I can do? Do they not legally have to pay me this money back? As I have paid for the service twice?

I'd appreciate any help or comments. I'm literally tearing my hair out I've called them so many times!!

Thanks a mill for your help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Write a formal letter setting out the facts, and instructing them politely and firmly to make an immediate arrangement to repay your money.

Tell them that a number of calls have produced no result, but don't get too heated and vent: it clouds the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

That's great, thanks I'll try that and see how I get on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The bank should be refunding this as part of the direct debit guarantee. So try it from that angle as well. Letter to sky is certainly an option you should be taking as well.

You may get some joy if you phone up to cancel. They have an escalations process where they try and keep you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

OP.

The bank will refund you today then they will chase Sky for the amount. Please do this:

1. ring your local branch [the one that services your current account that services your direct debits, clear as mudd?]
    2. Tell them that there was an un-athorised Direct Debit from your account. Explain the situation and tell tham that you are requesting a full refund of the un-authorised amount.
    3. This is where you may have a problem. Chances are, the bank won't know what you are talking about and will tell you they have to investigate. You may be told that this may take a few days to a few weeks.
    4. If this is the case, ask them for the phone number to their Group Complaints department. These guys will sort you out TODAY. Explain the situation and money will be back in your account before close of business [but give them an hour or two to get the money. ie. start now]
    5. When you get the money back, submit a formal complaint to IPSO. These are the group responsible for the entire Direct Debit Scheme. Inform them of your issue. The more people that complain about these companies, the more will get done.
    6. See my sig on Direct Debits. It's a very long read but it's a huge eye opener on the whole shambolic Direct Debit Scheme

Listen, I'll be honest. A lot of people "in the loop" are well aware that the Direct Debit Scheme is a joke of a service and not fit for purpose. It's a great idea and is, in theory, very handy. However, some companies abuse it. Some companies don't train their staff. Some companies don't have any checks and balances to make sure these things don't happen. IPSO also turn a blind eye to some light infringements.

Very few people complain to IPSO for one main reason. Not many people know they exist. I had a discussion with their Direct Debit manager. I asked him a few questions. The ultimate answers revolved around "no problems here" "no complaints" "fully transparent".

We need more and more people to complain or nothing will get fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Wow - that's great, thanks a mill.

Thanks for the link too, I didn't realise there were so many protections for direct debits. I will make sure to submit a complaint, I'm chasing this because I noticed. Who knows how many people they've done this to and are getting away with it. It's ridiculous! The run around I've been getting is just unbelievable.

Thanks so much again - it's good to see some light at the end of the tunnel!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Wow - that's great, thanks a mill.

Thanks for the link too, I didn't realise there were so many protections for direct debits. I will make sure to submit a complaint, I'm chasing this because I noticed. Who knows how many people they've done this to and are getting away with it. It's ridiculous! The run around I've been getting is just unbelievable.

Thanks so much again - it's good to see some light at the end of the tunnel!! :)

Don't forget. It's YOUR account. It's YOUR money.

The Direct Debit Scheme grants companies [by you and no one else] limited permission [from only you] to take money from your account for agreed services/products offered. It's not a right and can be revoked at any time by YOU.

What's scary is, in reality...

1. ...any company can initiate a direct debit payment from anyone's account without their consent NOR knowledge.

2. ...YOU cannot actually cancel a direct debit, in a sense that you and I understand it. You CAN cancel it, but after two months, the company can re-activate it again without your permission. Nobody tells you this bit until you really start asking questions.

These are just two of the scary aspects of the Direct Debit Scheme. There are many more. I've been asking the hard questions [from banks, IPSO, companies, etc] for the past year or so. It's scary the answers you get when you ask them to explain in between what they are actually saying. It's like talking to politicians. They only answer the specific question you ask. You have to keep asking the right question to get the scary information.

Keep us updated on your outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

. . . Then same story with the phone line.

Are you being billed separately for the phone line and the TV service ? Could this explain the 2 DDs from your account ? What services are Sky supplying you ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

This happen to me about 5 years ago the exact same thing. It was hours of phone calls trying to sort it out in the end I emailed every single person I could find belong to sky on the Internet with my story.
    All I can say make sure you have screen shots of your bank transactions you will get your money back with a free headache throwing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

OP,

Is the sky DD coming out for the same amount on the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I had a similar issue that went on for months, i rang Skys office in dublin and asked to be put through to JD Buckleys office (CEO of Sky Ireland). The girl i spoke to took my details and i got a call back from a girl in scotland 5 mins later who sorted it immediately. Might be worth a try

• Advertisement
Advertisement