Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri o shimasho!

Options
  • 15-11-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

The name of the blog is in Japanese and means "let's do a triathlon!" which is what I have been thinking for ages. At the moment i am living in Japan teaching English, hence the name.

My interest in triathlon was sparked while I was studying in Dublin, by some guys who were starting a triathlon club in college. I was running a fair bit and thought about getting into triathlon a few times but ruled it out because I can't swim well and couldn't afford a bike. I was also serious about judo and was focused on that through college. Moving to Japan, the home of judo, I thought I would continue to be serious about it. I had hoped to find a good club, train regularly, and improve a lot. However I was kinda unlucky. My city has a club but it is small and is mainly junior high school students. I guess it would be like a Japanese man moving to Ireland to do hurling but then ending up in Cavan. So I have been doing some judo but basically replaced with getting out on the roads.

I got back into running and ran a few 10Ks without really training. I bought a bike and started to go for a 20/30/40K ride at the weekends.

Then I started watching ITU and ironman videos on YouTube and was really amazed and excited about what the athletes were doing. I came on here and read some of the chat and some of the training logs, and was really inspired. I said a few times I'd get into swimming and give it a go, but between doing some judo, being happy with just running, and also enjoying Japan, I didn't decide properly I was going to do it until now.

Where I'm at

Swim
    My weakest of the three by a ridiculous amount. It will require a serious amount of work if I am to achieve my goal. Up until a few weeks ago I hadn't swam in years and couldn't swim with my head in the water. Got in the pool about 3 weeks ago and have started well, going 4 times each week. I have made small improvements getting used to the water and putting together a basic technique. Swam 50metres in a row on Wednesday. Yahoo! Only 1450m more to go.

It has been nice because a junior swimming club has half of the pool for training, and one of the coaches has been helping me out! Will try to get some proper lessons sometime in the near future.

Bike

Bought a road bike when I moved to Japan in summer 2010, and have really enjoyed gettin into it! I have been out for rides of 100k, 80k once each, 60k a couple of times, and 40/30/less enough times to lose count. I have never really trained for cycling though, just gone out for a spin at the weekend. I probably haven't cycled more than once in a week ever apart from my short commute.

The bike is about to get more difficult though The part of Japan I live in called Niigata, is also known as "snow country". I don't mind the cold or some rain but it's a bit of a different level. There will be massive amounts of snow everywhere which is great for snowboarding, but I won't be outside on the bike from mid December to March-ish. Currently trying to decide on either rollers or a turbo trainer for the winter. If I keep this diary up I may complain about the weather.

Run

Did the Dublin marathon in 2008 as a very inexperienced and unknowlegdeable runner. Finished in 3.57, enjoyed the training, the race and the whole experience; but was left with very sore knees and didn't run for a long while after. Did a few 10Ks here in Japan without too much training. Signed up for a half marathon and 10K this summer and decided to train seriously. Finished the half in 1hr 50 and the 10K in 40 mins, an improvement of 5 mins. Was really happy that proper training actually does work and improves results!

Running will also get a lot more difficult with the snow outside, considering treadmill in the local gym, my school's gymnasium basketball court place, or maybe being really hard and running on the roads after they have been cleared in the morning.

Goals

Main goal: finish at least one Olympic distance triathlon. No aims for time as my swim will be very slow, but hopefully I'll be able to do ok on the bike and run. Mainly want to enjoy training, and finish a real triathlon.

Second goal:Tokyo marathon. I signed up hoping to run with some friends together, but as it is way way oversubscribed they didn't get the chance so I'll just be on my own. I had considered not doing it, but was encouraged to commit by the guys who really wanted to, but didn't get the chance. Added aim, to finish in 3.30. It is February 24th, quite early and long before any triathlon I sign up to (they seem to start around June here) so training from now until then may end up focusing on running.

Other goals:
    Become Ironman and ITU World Champion in 2013.

Super long introduction, so thats it! looking forward to getting a real training programme going.

Really hope I keep this up, training through the crazy winter here in Niigata will be really tough but I want to stay active even though it'll freezing, snowy and dark!

Arigato!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Jaysus that's a long post. Anyways training this week so far:

Monday - 5k run, 5 min pace.

Tuesday morning - 8k run, 5 min pace.

Tuesday evening - swim. trying to work on my head position and breathing technique.

Wednesday morning - 10k cycle, 25 mins.

Wedneday evening - 5k run, 5 min pace.

Today - swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A 1.50 minute 1/2 marathon to a 40 minute 10k is very impressive.

Between you and Zico10 we have a great Asian influence on the site

I was planning a bit quicker for the half, but I and a few friends started at the back of the field, which included full, half and 10k runners. Bit of a mistake. Thin roads and very busy, it was really bottle necked, so we just took it easy for the first while, resulting in the first 5k taking 30ish mins. If I do another one I think I'd aim for 1hr40 or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Try to get some lessons if you can for the swimming. They'll make a huge difference. ALternatively, have a look for a Masters Swimming Club. AFAIK they're quite popular in Japan.

I think a turbo would be a better investment than rollers but that's just my opinion.

Nice to have some skiing/boarding on tap for the winter!!! :cool:

Try Shotokan if there are no Judo clubs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

今日は :)

Cool, great to have your log aboard. I miss Japan sometimes. Used to be based in Osaka and worked in Nara. Hokkaido was a regular haul for snowboarding...

I'll follow the log with interest.

頑張れ :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Very best of luck to you. My background is in swimming, so I am always impressed when adults take the plunge and learn to swim - it's a much easier task as youngin'.

Training last week:

Friday 16th
    bike - 13.67kms, 29.46, av pace 2.11
    run - 8kms - 39.11, av pace 4.54

Saturday 17th - 13.43km, 30.07, av pace 2.15

Missed a long run on Sunday which was dissappointing, but I started the week well:

Monday 19th
    Run - 5kms, 24.34, av pace 4.54
    Swim - again not really counting but felt like a good session. googled around, and I'm doing a few drills to focus on breathing, kicking, and stroke technique. maybe did about 300m altogether? need to get a proper plan for some drills.

Thanks for the tips and kind words everyone!

pgibbo, I was wondering about either a turbo or rollers. why do ya think rollers would be better?

Shotgun-san, konnichiwa! I still haven't been to Nara but it is high on the list! I haven't made it to Hokkaido for snowboarding either, with the cost, but maybe this winter... なら も ほっかいどう も  いきたい!

zehi, ganbarimasho!

I said I thought a turbo would be a better investment. I'd opt for a turbo over rollers.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I said I thought a turbo would be a better investment. I'd opt for a turbo over rollers.

Ah sorry! And sorry to ask again, but why do ya think a turbo would be better? I'm leaning towards turbo, seems like it would be better for building strength.

• Advertisement

Ì've never used rollers and from what I've heard you have to be very focused on them as it's easy to come off them. That would mean that during recovery after work intervals you'd have to be very careful. I don't know anyone that trains on rollers. That's not saying they're any worse or better but the turbo seems to be the norm.

A colleague was at a class last week where everyone bar 2 people were on turbo trainers. The other 2 were on rollers. One of them took a tumble reaching for a water bottle towards the end of what was a tough class.

AFAIK, there are variable restistance rollers available. Most decent turbos do this via a lever or digital display. Not sure how common it is with rollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey good luck with the endeavour.

personally I agree with pgibbo, the turbo is the more allround option for indoor training, some of the intervals are quite difficult on the rollers.
    I have both and find I only use the rollers for early winter rides where I just want to concentrate on pedalling at high rpms, or an easy spin where im too lazy to put the bike on the turbo.
    but anything where i have to concentrate on an effort I opt for the turbo,

Thanks a lot for the tips! Rollers look kinda fun, but I don't fancy falling off them! Rollers it is then..

Tuesday 20th November

Run - 10kms, 50:30, av pace 5:03.

Plan was run in the morning and swim in the evening. Missed the run in the morning, so I did it in the evening and skipped the swim. Still learning the silly lessons like ya need to get to bed early to get up early!

I really want to go swimming now though so it'd good to feel motivated!

Wednesday 21st November

Really happy I managed to train today despite having a business trip thing which meant getting a train at 7.00am and getting back at 7.30pm.

Cycle - 14.14kms, 34:39, av pace 2:29

Run - 5kms, 24:29, av pace 4:53

Later start tomorrow, so if I can manage to get up at 5am again I should be able to get a longer cycle in. Bookah!

Friday 23rd Nov - run - 8.94kms, 44:39, 5:00 av pace

Went out for a 10k morning run after staying over at a "let's watch all of the lord of the rings in a row" get-together. Not a great precursor to a morning run, added to a very hilly area meant I finished up with just under 10k and felt fairly terrible.

Sat 24th Nov - run - 18.07kms, 1:34:05, 5:12 av pace

Long run on Saturday morning, kept the pace even and felt great throughout. I'm following Hal Higdon"s Intermediate 1 marathon plan and it has been treating me well so far. If anyone has any opinions/advice on that plan I'd welcome it.

Sun 25th - cycle - 30.66kms, 1:13:23, 2:24 av pace

Kinda long cycle. Really nice weather, I'm surprised I'm still getting outside and it's almost December. It's not cold on the bike at all. Got up late though and I'm busy from 12 so I couldn't go really far. I'll hopefully go for at least one long cycle of 50 or 60kms before the first snow falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

just-joe wrote: »
    Long run on Saturday morning, kept the pace even and felt great throughout. I'm following Hal Higdon"s Intermediate 1 marathon plan and it has been treating me well so far. If anyone has any opinions/advice on that plan I'd welcome it.

I did the Intermediate 2 for my first Marathon, while I found towards the end that I had gained great stamina, the lack of miles at race pace bit me in the ass around the 18 mile mark on the day and I buckled mightily.

The saturday faster runs I would perhaps do them at race pace if I ever did that plan again or I would do the longer mid week runs at planned race pace.

Seek out Jackybacks plan perhaps if you still have time, its a great plan for a 3:30 marathon

catweazle wrote: »
    I did the Intermediate 2 for my first Marathon, while I found towards the end that I had gained great stamina, the lack of miles at race pace bit me in the ass around the 18 mile mark on the day and I buckled mightily.

The saturday faster runs I would perhaps do them at race pace if I ever did that plan again or I would do the longer mid week runs at planned race pace.

Seek out Jackybacks plan perhaps if you still have time, its a great plan for a 3:30 marathon

Yeah, there isn't that much race pace, it seems like stepping up to long distance at race pace only on race day would be difficult? In the guidelines it says its ok to run the last third (or quarter?) of the long run at pace, but only every fourth week. Which still isn't very much. I'll have a search for Jackybacks plan then!

Monday 26th Nov
    Morning - run 5k
    Evening - swim. Doing some drills and swam 50m in a row 4 or 5 times. I want to go for 75m but I can't manage it! When I have been swimming, when I do two strokes a breath it's too fast, but 4 strokes a breath isn't enough. So I'm going to try to slow down my two strokes a breathe and relax more. Not that I can do it properly, but I find it more difficult to keep a good head position when doing 2 strokes as opposed to four. I lift it out all the time. So again I need to relax and concentrate on keeping my head in the water!

Tue 27th Nov
    Crazy storm outside so I couldn't run in the morning, so I ran in the evening instead cancelling out the evening swim. Went quite well though 10k in 45 mins.

Wed 28th Nov
    Morning - 15k cycle
    Evening - 5k run

Left my phone at school so I haven't written the pace and exact distance but yeah, training is ok so far this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

just-joe wrote: »
    When I have been swimming, when I do two strokes a breath it's too fast, but 4 strokes a breath isn't enough.

Have you tried breathing every 3 strokes to alternate sides? It'll balance your stroke whilst training and stop you becoming one sided. There may be occasions in a race where waves are hitting you in the face if you breathe to the right and if that's all you've practiced it could be a long swim.

• Advertisement

Have you tried breathing every 3 strokes to alternate sides? It'll balance your stroke whilst training and stop you becoming one sided. There may be occasions in a race where waves are hitting you in the face if you breathe to the right and if that's all you've practiced it could be a long swim.

Yes, I have been trying breathing every 3! I liked it at the start, but my breathing on the left side wasn't as good. Also a friend and the swimming coach said i should concentrate on doing just one side, practicing both right and left. But that maybe cos they are swimmers and not triathletes.

Is it worth practicing on just one side to get used to it? Or should I just practice 3 stroke breathing all the time?

Tonight I was trying 2, 3 and 4, I feel ok over just 25 metres with each of them, and notice the difference when I keep my head in the water. Swimming 50 metres is stretching it a bit. I thought I'd give 75m a go tonight, but no way! I'm trying to relax and slow down, but it's not working so far...

Thursday 29th Nov

Morning - cycle 14ish kms. Went out for a quick loop I've been doing recently. Felt good going out and quite quick, speed was above 30kms/hr most of the time. On the way back I realised it was probably the wind though, really strong headwind coming back and staying at 15-20kms/hr was tough. Felt like it worked the legs out well. I want to go a bit slower and a bit further, but I can't manage to get up earlier than 6! So I've just been going for the same quick loop.

Personally I think every 3 is worth sticking with. Alternatively do alternate 25s - 25 to the left and 25 to the right.

If you find it hard breathing every 3, stop and compose yourself for a few breaths at the wall and go again. Remember to exhale. Also, have a look at bubble-bubble-breathe on the swim smooth site.

Friday 30th November

Run
    As I was going away for the weekend I moved the week's long run forwards to Friday. 20k in 1:48.:35. I waited for ages for it to stop raining, and when it finally did, I went out. It started drizzling at 2km which was fine, no problem at all. Then it started raining at around 12kms. Then it started raining heavily at aroun 16kms. When I finished I was fairly soaked! Luckily it didn't start pouring though, so that wasn't too bad. :) I was fairly glad I did an out and back rather than a loop though, as I may have quit if I was on a short loop.

This time I didn't drink anything for a few hours beforehand, and didn't drink anything until 10kms. No unwanted stops, so everything felt perfect. Up until now I was stopping to walk a little every 3k, but this time I decided to stop every 5. Added to that, I made sure not to check my iphone for the pace and distance all the time, so I enjoyed the run much more cos of that, and it went quick. I didn't push the pace at all, conversational (with myself to check..) was ok the whole run, but I feel as if I should run slower for the long runs. but with the weather I didn't want to slow down much more!

Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd December - absolutely nothing
    I was away for the weekend in Tokyo, so long bike ride was gone straight away. I brought running gear with me, thinking of doing the 10k planned for Friday on Sunday, to complete the planned mileage for the week. Didn't manage to get up early enough though so that didn't happen either.

Monday 3rd December
    Back late last night, couldn't get up early this morning, so I didn't run. Before now if I missed I run I'd do it that evening, but I don't want to keep missing swim sessions so I did the swim. I'd say I did about 500m altogether with different drills and just practicing in general. Still no great improvement, but it does feel better everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice work on that 20k run, especially pushing out the intermittent walks - that's the way you'll improve, by pushing out your boundaries with each session. :) Regarding your breathing for swimming, I agree with the lads - try to keep working on the every 3 breaths in practice (in a race the 3 breaths can go out the window, other than to check where your competitors are, if you so desire), or breathe to one side one length, the other side the next length. As the fellas said, breathing both sides in practice will help keep your stroke balanced and symmetrical. Keep up the good work, and before you know it you'll be breathing to both sides without even giving it a thought. :)

Tuesday 4th Dec
    Morning - run - 8k, 46:12
    Evening - swim

Wednesday 5th Dec
    Morning - cycle - 14.35k, 37:21
    Evening - run - 6.5k, 34:45

most windy consitions i've ever cycled in, really tough on the way back and lots of hail in the face. was definitely awake after that.

Thursday 6th Dec
    nothing

Friday 7th Dec
    afternoon run - 11k.5k, 56:05

Saturday 8th Dec
    long run - about 21kms in about 2hours.

When checking my marathon mileage plan I realised I was actually a week behind, not a week ahead as I had thought. so I moved from a rest week to the next week, which was fine as I didn't do all my mileage last week. so wednesday, friday and the long run were a little bit longer than initially scheduled.

Friday and Saturday were the toughest weather I have ever ran in. Friday was very windy and some heavy rainfall, not too bad except for feet a bit wet.

Saturday was even worse with hail and sleet and super strong winds at times (apparently 60k an hour, some small japanese people were getting blown around a bit). I was almost properly decked out with full rain gear over a tracksuit, ski gloves, and plastic bags on my feet which worked for a while but ended up breaking so i had cold wet feet again. still battled on and did almost what i planned. i was running loops of 5k each which pass by my apartment. I had planned to go to 23k but when I got to 20 and passed by my place, I set off to do 1.5 out and back but got to 500m and was like **** this cos snow was starting, so i ended up with 21k. Lots of snow now so cycling outside is finished for the time bein. Time to get a turbo trainer!

Sunday
    went for a swim, was really nice as it was almost empty. did some kicking drills and otherwise just tried to think about my head position, feels better but still getting tired so I'm obviously making some mistakes. Swam 75m in a row so that was cool.

I've definitely gotten better since the start, but Ineed to sort out my problems otherwise I won't get a proper swim technique. Going home for christmas so I'm gonna try to get some lessons while I'm back, then if possible find a coached session here. There is no club at the pool I'm at, but there may be one at another pool not too far away.

So this week I managed:
    3 swims
    4 runs
    1 cycle

I don't have a turbo trainer now, and i'll probably leave it til after i come back to japan in the new year. so i will try to turn this to a plus and swim 5 times this week plus the run schedule.

Long overdue post, training was going well until coming home for xmas, since then it has been all over the place/not happening. Want to write something quickly before I forget it all.

From memory:

I swam 5 days in a row just before leaving Japan.

Finished a week of running at 60k with a long run of 24 which felt great.

Ran a 5k yesterday St. Stephen's Day, Cavan Christmas Dash. Finished in 19.40 very happy, may have been quicker except for lack of training, starting too fast, as well as becoming reacquainted with guinness over the last few days.

Real training may not resume until back into normal life, but I want/need to do one long run while I'm here to keep up with the scheduled long run distance.

First real training since before christmas today. Being on holiday and back at home didn't make for good training, and although I ran a bit here and there I finally feel like I'm back in a routine today.

The break has left a big gap in preparation for the Tokyo marathon. I haven't ran further than 10k since Dec 20th and that isn't cool. Figuring out a plan to get ready for it, hopefully I can still manage to get through it!

Looking at the Japan tri calendar now too. The entries are opening for a few races, and I'm thinking of the Yokohama triathlon.

It is a big commitment financially, so I am wondering whether:

(a) I will be able to swim 1500m by then and
    (b) would it be completely embarassing to finish last at quite a famous race.

It is quite early, May 11th, but maybe that is enough time to train?!

Anyways training for today was:

morning - run 6.5k, 35 mins. felt good.
    evening - swim - very lazy first swim but technique felt ok. swam 50m 10 or so times.

Looking forward to keepin on this routine!

Morning run - 8.5k, 47 mins

No problems with the run, have been really lucky with the weather as there is almost no snow in sight.

Looking forward to going for a long run at the weekend!

Swimming pool is closed on Wednesday evening, and still no turbo trainer so I'm taking it easy instead.

• Advertisement

Thursday 17th January
    Evening swim, can manage 50m in a row no problem now woohoo! Still terrible but happy with the improvement.

Friday 18th Jan
    Ran 11 and then went straight to the swimming pool. This was nice as I was really warmed up but not tired, and I had also eaten before which made a change from being hungry after work and going straight for a swim. The last couple of swims I have just swam 50m reps without any drills, just trying to think about what I'm doing. That was nice but drills exist for a reason so I'll get back into them soon. I still need to find lessons as doing it by myself just isn't as good.

Saturday 19th
    Played some basketball with junior high school kids and realised that (a) basketball is a good workout and (b) its not boring at all and is actually quite fun.

Sunday 20th Jan
    Long run - 26.08kms, 2:08:48
    First long run in too long. I was worried about how it would go after such a long break but it went well. I really feel like I'm back on track for running Tokyo Marathon now. Tried to keep the walking breaks to each 5k, drank first at 10k and drank each 5k after that, 500ml altogether. Seems to work for that distance and the current temperature so hopefully I can hold on to that formula as getting it right has been hard in the past.

Advertisement