Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV 6 month rule

Options
  • 15-11-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭

My contract with my employer is ending on Dec 21st, and they have asked me to come back in the new year on a new contract.

The company is actually closed from Dec 21st so even if my original contract was longer, I would not have been working the days between contracts.

It is only about a week and a half where I won't be employed by the company but I'm wondering will that time be included as part of the 6 months?

I have searched for the answer unsuccessfully. If I was on a 6 month contract originally, this period would be included. These are 2 3 month contracts which I know is essentially the same, but this hasn't been done in an attempt to get around the rules. They have only just asked me back and it is a different role also.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What start and end dates do they have if 1 had 1/10 - 31/12 (3months) then 2nd started 10/1 - 9/4 then you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If you're not getting paid for the dates in between then I can't see how it would count.

You're best bet, as always, is to ring IMMI and find out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Thanks, the contract dates do split like your example Hussey.

Batgurl, as I am a contractor, I don't get paid for days off, so if the business is closed for that period over Christmas and my contract was for a continuous 6 months, I would not have been paid anyway.

I am sure the week and a half of Christmas closure would have counted if my contract was originally for 6 months and would have made no difference to whether I was paid over this period, so this splitting of contracts is basically unintentionally allowing me to work an extra 1.5 weeks for this company. I think I better make sure with IMMI

Advertisement