Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me make a really big decision...

Options
  • 15-11-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the place for this thread, but I'm a ladies, so, may aswel stick it here.

ok. I have been unemployed for quite some time and after many interviews and CVs I finaly got offered a job today, however I also got offered another one about an hour later.

They are two very differnt jobs, one is very relevant to what I studied in college, what I have wanted to do for quite some time and the place seems lovely, however the wage is literely minimum wage and it is only a temporay post for 10 months. The other job is much bettter, its a really good wage and a 2 year contract, its not at alll what i studied in college and while the work is far from easy, i dont feel any enthusiasm for it. the money and security is the only reason i would take it. As I am very very broke and spent the last year living on social welfare, any money is good, but i am in a lot of debt that i dont know if the first job could pay off.

so any suggestions or help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Take the money, and keep an eye out for something more related to your field in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Moved from tLL to Work Problems.

OP, you should get better answers here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭weisses

Take the Job with the 2 year contract .. Pay off your debt and move on from there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What are your long term plans?

If you take the not-related-to-your-studies job, then it's possible that you won't get a chance to get into your chosen industry again, especially if you spend another 2 years out of it.

In the first job, what are the prospects of a contract extension, or of you being able to find a 2nd job or get more hours with the first one?

I wouldn't let the contract-length be a big deciding factor: you will be on probation for the first year of the other job, anyway, and can be let go for almost no reason - which could be hard to avoid if you're not enthusiastic about it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Life is short - do what you enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Extra money is great and if you really need it then go for the job that pays more. As a general rule I'd say to anyone that a job that you enjoy is so much more important than money. Add the fact that you actually want to work in a field that is relevant to what you studied and your actually enthusiastic about it then I'd say it's a no-brainer! I'm in a job that I don't enjoy that the moment and I'd give anything to work in a job that I loved, even if it meant taking a hefty pay cut! You'll also have 10 months to look for a new job and nearly a years experience in the field you want to work in which will surely help when finding a new job and negotiating a new salary. Also worth noting that a lot of places will deem a college qualification fairly useless if you haven't worked in that field for 2+ years after graduating so if you want to that long term you might find yourself in a situation where you have to go back to college or do an internship for peanuts to get experience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You don't go to work to be entertained. You go to work to make money. Take the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

Go for the Job that you studied for. In the long run you will find something better. Experience in a role that you are qualified is more valuable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Do you know why they call it work? Because it is

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Life is short - do what you enjoy.

If you enjoy what you are doing and getting good experience in your chosen career then things will work out eventually. Experience is what employers judge prospective employees on. Take the job you like and as time passes watch out for opportunities to advance either in that firm or with others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement