Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore cycle path ridiculous cost breakdown

Options
  • 15-11-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

This is on the county forum but very relavant to city one. The breakdown spend on this supposed works is truly shocking. see link

15000 for clearing hedges - i can see some value for money but consultancy 50000 etc seems like a truly shocking waste of money. 310,000 in total, looks like a job that could easily be done by the private sector for 50,000 no problam.

Just an example of the powers that be living in a different world to the rest of us.

http://www.smartertravel.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/NCN%20Application%20Form-Tramore%20Final.pdf

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Personally I would have said the whole thing could have been done for basically nothing, Tramore road is fine for cycling as is and putting a cycle lane on it was a waste of money from the start.

I say this as a cyclist,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Does the Engineer who wrote this actually believe this B*llsh*T?

Potential Economic Benefit.
    It is reasonable to assume the following economic benefits will accrue as a result of the provision of the proposed cycle track;
    Construction Phase Employment of local sub-contractors and suppliers where possible. Up to 20 temporary jobs will be sustained during the course of construction of this project
    Operational Phase Increase in Activity Based Tourist numbers, Reduction in Greenhouse gases as a result of modal shift, Greater access to potential employment for non-car dependant workers Potential for mini-industry in the form of Bicycle Hire/Sales/Repair and guided cycle tours Increased tourist numbers leading to increased demand for resort based goods and services.
    It is difficult to estimate the level of increase in employment as a result of this proposed project however it is likely to have a positive impact.

Tourism Impact
    The provision of a cycle route between Waterford City and Tramore would impact positively on tourism in East Waterford.

There was nothing wrong with the hard shoulder in the first place, maybe if they sent out the road sweeper once in a while it would have sufficed.

They wont be getting a gant of a household charge of me to waste it like this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There was nothing wrong with the hard shoulder in the first place, maybe if they sent out the road sweeper once in a while it would have sufficed.

They wont be getting a gant of a household charge of me to waste it like this.

Agreed,

Problem now is that they've created a cycle lane which cars won't ever really drive in so even more crap will be in the cycle lane due cars/trucks pushing stuff into the lane when they pass.

So unless the keep it cleaned its going to be even worse then the hard shoulder was, this is a very common issue with cyclelanes around Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

To me this cycle lane is just a non-threating investment. It is something relatively cheap that the government can say they “did” for Waterford and the TD’s can boast they got it for their constituency. However it does not threaten the status quo, such as real investment like upgrading WIT or reinstating the IDA regional office. Investment that would actually solve a problem we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Max Powers wrote: »
    This is on the county forum but very relavant to city one. The breakdown spend on this supposed works is truly shocking. see link

15000 for clearing hedges - i can see some value for money but consultancy 50000 etc seems like a truly shocking waste of money. 310,000 in total, looks like a job that could easily be done by the private sector for 50,000 no problam.

Just an example of the powers that be living in a different world to the rest of us.

http://www.smartertravel.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/NCN%20Application%20Form-Tramore%20Final.pdf

It seems certain people still think they're living in the Celtic Tiger era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Staggering, 310k for painting circa 13km of white lines and cutting hedges. What exactly did the consultants do for their 50k. They have not even painted bicycle logos on the ground to indicate what it is. Sure lets close a few beds in the hospital to pay for this bad joke.

Quotes from report

This proposed cycle track will be designed and constructed to the highest standards.
    = Ye painted a white line, what standards ???

Existing Surface, Wearing Course Macadam.
    = so no big work needs doing

Every single figure in the report is nicely rounded to off with 3 zeros which always smells to me of pick a figure from the air

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Surely there is a case of buying back a good portion of the old Waterford - Tramore railway alignment and converting that to cycle use. Having cycle lanes on a busy main road looks and sounds dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

The cycle lane project which should be developed is the old railway line between Waterford and Rosslare. This could be for walking and cycling. Soon the decision will be made to remove the tracks below Bellport which are no longer used to Rosslare. You then have a ready made path which will only need surfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

€125,000 to paint the white lines!

I want to get into the road line painting business right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

What a joke. Even the old yellow lines are still visible and there are no bicycle logos painted so the whole thing is confusing. Ridiculous.

Who do I complain to?! :mad::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Jason Todd wrote: »
    What a joke. Even the old yellow lines are still visible and there are no bicycle logos painted so the whole thing is confusing. Ridiculous.

Who do I complain to?! :mad::D

Good point, who exactly do we complain to?
    Ken Walsh, Tramore Area Engineer, Waterford County Council

?

I'll e-mail the county council anyway.... but I think I'm getting a name for myself!

The more I read that report, the more I think if it was proposed in the sector I work in, it would be laughed out of the water.

I'm thinking of a proposal for a safety feature we asked out finance department for. It makes this report look like a transition year project.

Advertisement