Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ain't afraid of no ghost

• 15-11-2012 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Was doing some clean up in my photo library and stumbled upon this picture I took some years ago.

8187102109_f96cf598e6_z.jpgphotostream

Set up: mirror locked up, remote control & tripod, so there is absolutely no chance of camera shake. EXIF: F8, 5 sec exposure time - cannot recal the ISO
    Does anyone has any kind of explanation as to what the hell this weird streak in the middle of picture is? I defintely saw nothing while the picture as being taken, no dust or sudden ray of light whatsoever.

Edit: added the link to the picture since I am under the impression that posting it in the thread does not work...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90063151@N05/8187102109/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's just some physical object that moved through the corridor during the 8.5 seconds it took to take the shot. For whatever reason, you just weren't looking at what was happening. It's not a ghost. Ghost's don't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Yep must have been something you missed while taking it, especially since its a long exposure shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

A g-g-g-g-ghost??? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Contact Tim Kelly about it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're sure there wasn't a spot of water on the lens? if it's an old shot, it's not something you'd remember wiping off for subsequent shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

They do!

Galway-Ghost.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Yep they are pretty much everywhere...

7620360420_1832a2d1cb_z.jpg
    Where Old Ghosts Meet by Aware of the Void, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

of course they do
    8189729555_1d47489f0a.jpg
    Montos Ghosts by milos5, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

A brief glare of light from an external source or a technical glitch is less plausible than the soul of a deceased individual residing in the corridor as spectral energy and taking something of physical human form strong enough to reflect light to the extent it could be picked up by a camera but not a human eye? Is that what we're saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 NicoDuranton

Yes? No? Perhaps? I don't know.
    I was just asking if anyone had a precise, rational and/or technical answer to something weird on a picture I took in a creepy place since I am myself unable to explain it.
    I've read all the answers going in this direction and none of them quite convince me since I was looking at the scene the camera took a picture from the whole 5 seconds it took to take the picture and would most definitely have spotted whatever left this trace.
    The lens was, at this point, new out of the box and clean, so that would rule out the water spot.
    So whatever it is, keep guessing. I'll hold off contacting this Tim Kelly fellow yet... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

A precise and rational explanation is that any number of possible factors could have caused it, theres really no way to tell just from that image.

I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt the explanation is not a supernatural one ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dust from the crumbling plaster roof coming into line with the light from the door and your camera's pov would be my guess.

I started (as any grown up should) from the fact that ghosts don't exist and worked my way back from there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think people are focussing on the ghost aspect a bit too much. the only reference the OP made to a ghost was a humorous thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can see it's something tracing through the image so it's not plaster falling or dust/dirt/fogging on lens/sensor.

Effects wrote: »
    You can see it's something tracing through the image so it's not plaster falling or dust/dirt/fogging on lens/sensor.

Exactly my though when I saw the picture. My first reaction was "Camera shake!!" but I remembered that was not possible (Tripod - remote - mirror lock up)
    So the mystery remains...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

swamp gas

men_in_black_movie_image_tommy_lee_jones_and_will_smith.jpg
    Wossack wrote: »
    swamp gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It could be spores from all the fungi growing on the walls.

Advertisement