Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser/ Debit Card Lower Limits in Trim

Options
  • 15-11-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Recently in Trim I have had problems using my Card. I an a hardware shop they would not take my card as I was only spending 8.99 and their limit is €10.00 and likewise in a coffee shop a few months ago. The both asked me to go to the Banklink machine nearby and get cash. The cost of this facility to the store is 17c for a laser transaction. I never went back to the coffee shop and I bought the hardware elsewhere. Trim needs to cop on to itself. They should be nurturing customers not insulting them. I can buy all the hardware I need elsewhere in Trim and have my coffee free at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Carry a bit of cash and you'll have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

You're right why did I not think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

its the same in navan... 10 minimum spend in most places... 15 in one in particular!

we are far from a cashless society! everytime i see that barclays bank ad on tv where the guy uses touchless technology to pay for his apple and coffee i say bollocks... here in ireland you would have someone behind the till telling you
    "computer says no!"

lidl tesco and aldi are the only ones i have seen taking laser/visa debit for under a tenner. its a pain in the ass to get money out of an atm sometimes as most are out of service or will only give out fifties... and when you take out ten or twenty to get something cheap like bread or milk, the bloody cash is gone on other thing too before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I am delighted to hear this,in fact the minimum spend should be increased to 20 euro.
    I always get stuck behind someone buying a paper and a packet of gum and putting it on a card.:mad:
    These shops have my full support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ehhh, it's the same way almost everywhere. The charge for a Debit card transaction is a flat fee, rather than a percentage, so below a certain level, it becomes uneconomical.

This may be mitigated by the new contactless cards, I'm not sure what the charge to the retailers is in those cases

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The daft parking in Trim is causing a much bigger loss than the credit cards, but I agree, it's a pain sometimes if you are stuck without cash and need to make a quick purchase. I was in Leonards Hardware once getting something for €9 and they couldn't take my card.

I have one of these new cards that I'm supposed to be able to just wave over the card reader for small purchases (like €15 or under, something like that). But typical Ireland of course, I've yet to see the system in use anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Costa navan ...I get my coffee and pay by card
    If a shop doesnt want to take your card go somewhere else that will simple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

PauloMN wrote: »
    The daft parking in Trim is causing a much bigger loss than the credit cards, but I agree, it's a pain sometimes if you are stuck without cash and need to make a quick purchase. I was in Leonards Hardware once getting something for €9 and they couldn't take my card.

I have one of these new cards that I'm supposed to be able to just wave over the card reader for small purchases (like €15 or under, something like that). But typical Ireland of course, I've yet to see the system in use anywhere!

I dont think many of the legacy laser and credit card machines can facilitate the new swipe facility on cards (looks like an image of a speaker on the cards) but the next generation equipment will have them afaik.

A year or two ago and I would not have agreed with the OP and would have said that you should bring cash but I think we are getting closer to a cashless society and, with banks closing etc I think that shops will have to regard taking payments by card as a necessary hassle of doing business. That hardware shop and cafe should realise that the OP might have returned a few weeks later and bought a bigger item.

Slightly similar a few months ago I was on cooking duty at home and all my daughter wanted was a bruschetta from La Scala, tbh I was embarassed ordering it as the order was so small but they supplied it with a smile etc and it was excellent quality and value. A few weeks later and a group of us were going out and we went there, we may not have gone if they had been snotty about the take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If ye are all so sick of the arduous task of carrying money around I can be so kind as to take it of your hands, might help ease your burden somewhat while you create this cashless society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

dixiefly wrote: »
    A few weeks later and a group of us were going out and we went there, we may not have gone if they had been snotty about the take away.

Now this is what it is about. Trim businesses take note (well businesses everywhere really.)

This is what happens. If you get a good experience you'll go back. If you don't, you'll bugger off to Navan, or Blanch, and Liffey Valley or Drogheda or just somewhere else in the town.

The experience is nothing to do with the business owner loosing an extra 17c (or whatever it is on a transaction)... "but... but.... but.... that's half my profit on a mickey mouse sale item less than a tenner". Well if that's the case, then the transaction isn't going to pay your or your staffs wages for the week now is it, so in the grander scheme of your business empire such a sale - cash or card - probably is somewhat irrelevant.

However, give a bruschetta with a smile and a thanks, and hey presto when someone is going to put a larger amount of business someone else's way then maybe you'll be on their list to be considered instead being last on the list because of your own ineptness about what business is all about.

It probably costs you more to refuse the transaction in so many ways. Just because you may see others doing it doesn't mean that you should be the sheep. Manners and good service will bring customers back. Plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

You may actually thank them for this.
    As BOI have ended any semblence of free banking, you will now be charged for every transaction, so instead of a cashless society, we are being pushed back towards carrying large amounts of cash, (and getting mugged in the process) or using your visa card and paying it off at the end of the month (some chance!) or just paying for every little 5 euro card transaction from your own bank

Lovely!

Every transaction costs about c34, ridiculous waste of money for both parties IMO, is it really that difficult to carry a tenner around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

bladespin wrote: »
    Every transaction costs about c34, ridiculous waste of money for both parties IMO, is it really that difficult to carry a tenner around?

But you cant get a tenner out of an ATM any more. Lucky if you can get 20.
    Which means in most cases if you need to pick up bread and milk you have to take out a 50 which is just plain ridiculous....

But you cant get a tenner out of an ATM any more. Lucky if you can get 20.
    Which means in most cases if you need to pick up bread and milk you have to take out a 50 which is just plain ridiculous....

Just take 20 out then, hardly the toughest thing in the world to do.

Just take 20 out then, hardly the toughest thing in the world to do.

Like I said: "Lucky if you can get 20"
    Most ATMs only stock 50s.
    Especially the ones in shops and garages.

Like I said: "Lucky if you can get 20"
    Most ATMs only stock 50s.
    Especially the ones in shops and garages.

Ok, take out 50 and put the other 30 away, simples.:D

Ok, take out 50 and put the other 30 away, simples.:D

But then I am carrying cash - which is a backwards step and going against the whole idea of a cashless society.

What is the point in having a credit card, visa debit card with contact-less transaction support, g etc in my wallet if I always have to carry 50 quid?

But then I am carrying cash - which is a backwards step and going against the whole idea of a cashless society.

What is the point in having a credit card, visa debit card with contact-less transaction support, g etc in my wallet if I always have to carry 50 quid?

Cashless society is a dead idea, long abandoned, every transaction is chargable now and the banks won't be long about putting up their rates the way things are going, back to the old days of taking nearly all the wages out on payday and stuffing it under the mattress.

Either way I think it's silly not having cash on me, there's always something that I'll need some for.

Advertisement