Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loftus Hall

Options
  • 15-11-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Anyone done the tour of Loftus Hall, Tried a couple of weeks ago but it was booked out. went for a walk around the walled garden. but not much to see.
    At €2 for the car park and €9 for the House tour is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mobby wrote: »
    Anyone done the tour of Loftus Hall, Tried a couple of weeks ago but it was booked out. went for a walk around the walled garden. but not much to see.
    At €2 for the car park and €9 for the House tour is it worth it?

Haven't done it but wow at those price I'm not sure I'd be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wexartgirl

We went on one of the night tours during Halloween Week! I thought it was very worth it. It was cold and windy and the house was very creepy, but even just to go and hear about the house and the "devil" story was well worth it..

I recommend it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have done the tour twice now and enjoyed it very much both times, only problem was it was quite crowded the first tour and a bit uncomfortable being packed in with so many people. The house itself is very eerie, it was close to ruin until it was bought again last year so a lot of work is being done on the rooms, hence the tour is ground floor only and only about half the ground floor (you see the famous staircase, card-playing room, reception and the Tapestry Room and church).

The guide was very entertaining and the house does have quite a history attached to it, it being a mansion, a nuns school and a hotel, but it seems to have a curse as nobody who tried to make something of the place ever lasted. Im not sure I buy the devil story as its more likely the lady got pregnant out of wedlock and the family covered up the shame by making up a story about seeing the devil, having said that i do believe there is something demonic in that house, I felt extremely uneasy in the Tapestry Room, the room where Anne Tottenham was locked up and where several people fled screaming when staying there for the night. Its the only time in my life I felt a supernatural presence near me.

I would urge you to check it out, its a fascinating building and hopefully for the future they will have tours that incorporate the entire house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

I have done the tour twice now and enjoyed it very much both times, only problem was it was quite crowded the first tour and a bit uncomfortable being packed in with so many people. The house itself is very eerie, it was close to ruin until it was bought again last year so a lot of work is being done on the rooms, hence the tour is ground floor only and only about half the ground floor (you see the famous staircase, card-playing room, reception and the Tapestry Room and church).

The guide was very entertaining and the house does have quite a history attached to it, it being a mansion, a nuns school and a hotel, but it seems to have a curse as nobody who tried to make something of the place ever lasted. Im not sure I buy the devil story as its more likely the lady got pregnant out of wedlock and the family covered up the shame by making up a story about seeing the devil, having said that i do believe there is something demonic in that house, I felt extremely uneasy in the Tapestry Room, the room where Anne Tottenham was locked up and where several people fled screaming when staying there for the night. Its the only time in my life I felt a supernatural presence near me.

I would urge you to check it out, its a fascinating building and hopefully for the future they will have tours that incorporate the entire house.

Thanks for the info, will try and get a tour in next time i am down that way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

very surprised they told you that on the tour, the house Anne Tottenham lived and died in was demolished 100 years or so after her death, and the house you see today was built in its place.

It is still an eerie place though, and the majority of the out buildings are the same. Its a nice building, and hopefully the new owners keep up the substantial progress they have made in such a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

bruschi wrote: »

very surprised they told you that on the tour, the house Anne Tottenham lived and died in was demolished 100 years or so after her death, and the house you see today was built in its place.

That was what I thought too but when I was on a tour few weeks ago the guide said the house was never fully demolished due to bankruptcy and that its mostly the same house that Anne lived in.

Would definitely recommend going to the house for tour. Very interesting and well worth the money. Although having said that I won't ever step.inside that house again. So so eerie!

teggers5 wrote: »
    That was what I thought too but when I was on a tour few weeks ago the guide said the house was never fully demolished due to bankruptcy and that its mostly the same house that Anne lived in.

Would definitely recommend going to the house for tour. Very interesting and well worth the money. Although having said that I won't ever step.inside that house again. So so eerie!

really? havent taken the tour since they re opened, will get to it at some stage when visitors come down, but as far as I know, only a very very small portion of the original building, basement type passageways and foundations were the only thing that remained. Tried to find a picture of the old building online but cant seem to get one. I'm nearly sure its in Billy Colfers book about the Hook Penninsula. Maybe the guides use a bit of free licence to make the tour that bit more eery. More power to them if they do, sure if it makes it more interesting and enjoyable then what harm.

really? havent taken the tour since they re opened, will get to it at some stage when visitors come down, but as far as I know, only a very very small portion of the original building, basement type passageways and foundations were the only thing that remained. Tried to find a picture of the old building online but cant seem to get one. I'm nearly sure its in Billy Colfers book about the Hook Penninsula. Maybe the guides use a bit of free licence to make the tour that bit more eery. More power to them if they do, sure if it makes it more interesting and enjoyable then what harm.

During the tour they show a picture of the outside of original house and apart from an extra storey there's very little else changed.
    Without a doubt there's definitely something ghostly goin on in the tapestry room. Thought maybe.it was just me but I've since read on the Facebook page that other people felt something odd there too. And one person wrote that their young child said he didn't like the woman in the corner looking at him. No one else could see the woman! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

teggers5 wrote: »
    During the tour they show a picture of the outside of original house and apart from an extra storey there's very little else changed.
    Without a doubt there's definitely something ghostly goin on in the tapestry room. Thought maybe.it was just me but I've since read on the Facebook page that other people felt something odd there too. And one person wrote that their young child said he didn't like the woman in the corner looking at him. No one else could see the woman! :O

I did the tour twice and on my second time I was convinced that I would feel nothing in the Tapestry Room and that my initial uneasiness was due to the tour guide building up the tale of the room and how horrible it was, but the instant I walked into the room for the second time I wanted to turn around and run, took a huge amount of willpower to stay there for the 5 minutes i was there, its not just the cold, the dark, there is something incredibly evil in that room, could feel it from head to toe. Dont know what it is, a demon, the ghost of Anne, whatever it is its malevolent.

I will never ever return to that room again, I may (just may) go back to that house but not to the Tapestry Room.

I did the tour twice and on my second time I was convinced that I would feel nothing in the Tapestry Room and that my initial uneasiness was due to the tour guide building up the tale of the room and how horrible it was, but the instant I walked into the room for the second time I wanted to turn around and run, took a huge amount of willpower to stay there for the 5 minutes i was there, its not just the cold, the dark, there is something incredibly evil in that room, could feel it from head to toe. Dont know what it is, a demon, the ghost of Anne, whatever it is its malevolent.

I will never ever return to that room again, I may (just may) go back to that house but not to the Tapestry Room.

Glad I'm not the only one! Although I won't be returning for a tour(only because I'm a chicken!) I would definitely recommend to others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would love to give it a shot, i was only down at the hook lighthouse a few weeks ago and should have dropped in

Just as a recommendation, they are doing a Santa Claus and the Grinch at Loftus hall which will be on again next Sunday. Really well done and great staff doing it if anyone looking to bring kids out last minute to see santa. €8 and booking is online. They do a local market in the house on Sundays too and have a nice little cafe there too. Could do a tour while there and make a full day out there. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Brought my kids to this today and everyone, incl parents, enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Did the tour today and have to say it was enjoyable and a bit of crack. would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Went to it a few months ago, and the tour was good fun.
    However, I hope they do some architectural & historical tours of the house too. The ghost stories don't interest me much.

face1990 wrote: »
    Went to it a few months ago, and the tour was good fun.
    However, I hope they do some architectural & historical tours of the house too. The ghost stories don't interest me much.

not sure if it has changed since you were there, but I am nearly sure I saw they have different type tours each day for different interests.

edit: there is alright : http://www.loftushall.com/booking/

Historical and Architectural tours @ 11.00am and 12pm.
    Family Tours @ 1pm/2pm/3pm/4pm.
    Adult only Tours @ 5pm/6pm.

Although as far as I know its closed now for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

not sure if it has changed since you were there, but I am nearly sure I saw they have different type tours each day for different interests.

edit: there is alright : http://www.loftushall.com/booking/

Historical and Architectural tours @ 11.00am and 12pm.
    Family Tours @ 1pm/2pm/3pm/4pm.
    Adult only Tours @ 5pm/6pm.

Although as far as I know its closed now for a couple of months.

Brilliant! :D

Yeah, I was there around Halloween, so it was only the ghost & ghoully tours on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Was there 2 weeks ago, wasn't impressed when I saw the state on the actual Hall but my outlook improved once inside the entrance / canteen... the lads who do the actual tour give it a good go and to be fair I did enjoy it. An afternoon well spent, where I could of been on the beer so it must of been good!

Advertisement