Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler, diagnosed with peanut allergy

Options
  • 15-11-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi All. We’ve just learned for definite that our 22mth old has a severe peanut allergy. He had a bad reaction four weeks ago, his bloods were taken for tests the following week and we got the results yest. I was speaking with the GP over the phone for the results. She was very helpful, but of course I’ve a million questions since then, and hope y’all can help with some. His reaction was bad, eyes swelled up, rash on his face, he got lethargic and was obv getting a constricted windpipe giving the wheezy/croup cough/sounds he was making (too young to tell me how he was feeling). He was eating some breakfast cereal at the time, a new brand that he normally doesn’t eat.

I have to get him weighed so that he is allowed get an Anapen (he has to be over 15kgs). I’ve heard they are exp and have short shelf lives. One tip I read was to apply for the drug payment scheme, get six in one go (have two at all times in case one shot isn’t enough, and a set of two for house, childminder and on your person). Another tip was, if when you are getting them from the chemist and they only have 4/5 months of the year shelf life left, hand them back to the chemist for a full 12 mth one – is this something you can do, although I can definitely see the logic as they are too dear to only get half the life of them.

I’ve also read that prescriptions from the Rep can be used up the North and are cheaper up there?

With regards to the allergy itself, I’ve read some conflicting reports, but it appears he definitely cannot have food that has ‘traces of nuts’ correct? Also, even though the allergy has been id’d as specific to peanuts, I take it I am best to just avoid all nuts altogether in case of cross contamination as you’ve no idea how they are stored?

I’ve seen there are wristbands you can get which states he has a nut allergy…are they overkill, or have people found them useful?

Lastly, this is wishful thinking, but is there a list of ‘safe’ food available anywhere? I know manufacturer’s err on side of caution and if any chance there are traces of nuts, lob it on their packaging.

I wasn’t too concerned at first, but the more I’ve read up on it, the more I realise how serious it is, so I just want to be prepared and know how best to avoid a situation where we’ve to use the epipens and a hosp visit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh dear, that sounds like a serious reaction. Our 20 month old reacts to cashews with wheezing, she is fine with peanuts, but we avoid all 'may contain nuts' items as they don't specify. It puts a lot of things off limits for the whole family, things you wouldn't expect...pesto and a lot of italian foods.

On the epipen, we just got one, it lives in her nappy bag, which goes everywhere with her, and thank goodness have not had to use it, so I can't advise on buying in bulk. Good tip on getting a few and having them in each place. When she gets out of nappies we will do that I think.

As for safe foods... she has a raft of allergies, so we make absolutely everything ourselves now from scratch. Everything. Crackers, biscuits, pasta, sausages, we even culture our own yoghurt and bake our own bread. The only cereal in the house is porridge. It takes a bit of planning and the kitchen gets a LOT of use, but we're used to it now. She enjoys making the stuff too.

Advertisement