Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave 3 month old with a sitter?

Options
  • 15-11-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

My mother in laws surprise 60th is this Friday and the only way I can go is to get a sitter for my 3 month old. However I don't know if I'm mad leaving him.

I've left him overnight with my mother-in-law and he was fine and he doesn't make strange yet. As all our family and most of our friends are going to the party no one I already know is available to take him.

Other friends who I'd feel okay asking to take him are all at another party that night.

So I asked a girl I know from my area who grew up here if she would suggest anyone and she recommended a girl who lives nearby, she's 21 and she's minded her sisters kids since they were small babies. My friend has known this girl since she's a kid and said she would leave a baby with her.

So she's coming over today to meet me and the baby and I can show her whats what and I've been feeling alright about it. But then when we've said it to other people they think we are joking that we are leaving him so young with a sitter.

Have I lost it or would you do the same in this situation? It wouldn't be the end of the world for me not to go to the party (though I'd like to) but my mother in law would want me there.

It would be from about 8pm til 2am and I would be 15 mins away by taxi/car. He's actually grand going down for his big sleep (by 9/10) but I'm worried that he might have a sh1t fit over his teething, though this is usually in the morning and day time that he does.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We are lucky enough that I have friends/family nearby for babysitting. We first went out for a few hours at night when she was 8 weeks old, leaving the baby with my sister-in-law. Everything was fine.

I think I would have been a bit more nervous with a stranger alright. But you sound like you have decent recommendations.

Suss her out when you meet her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The girl is 21, not 16. So presumably she's mature enough that she's not planning on having 20 mates join her, and will have the cop on to know when to ring you. She also comes recommended.

The only concern I'd see is that if you head off at 8 and leave the sitter to try put your baby to bed at 9/10, he might kick off and not sleep at all, leading to a whole world of pain when you get home. Maybe if you hang around to do his normal bedtime routine and run off to the party once he's down for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Yeah I was just going to say the same, hang around and get baby settled before you go and you will feel more at ease.:)
    You will also be able to make up your own mind regarding the babysitter when you meet her and see how she manages today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you are happy with her go ahead:)
    My eldest was 9 months old before I left her at all,even with her daddy at home.
    Due to circumstances my 2nd was only a few days old and I had to leave her with grandparents for a few hours.
    Once she is kind and reliable it is not for long and I would not worry:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

seamus wrote: »
    The only concern I'd see is that if you head off at 8 and leave the sitter to try put your baby to bed at 9/10, he might kick off and not sleep at all, leading to a whole world of pain when you get home. Maybe if you hang around to do his normal bedtime routine and run off to the party once he's down for the night?

This was my concern, only prob is that the surprise part is 8.30 so I'm leaving it right down to the wire. I think he'll be okay temperment wise as bedtime is the easiest time of day to put him down and he's chilled. 'm still going to be ready to jump in a taxi and get back if it goes all wrong.

Met her last night and I don't have any doubts about it now. She was very good with him and he was flirting with her big time. I found out she does babysitting for a big plush hotel nearby and has looked after babies there as young as 2 weeks old!

The wee man is in great form today so I feel fairly confident about it. I don't think I'll say it to people at the party that I've left him with a sitter, I don't want to get the look of shock anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Mink wrote: »
    This was my concern, only prob is that the surprise part is 8.30 so I'm leaving it right down to the wire. I think he'll be okay temperment wise as bedtime is the easiest time of day to put him down and he's chilled. 'm still going to be ready to jump in a taxi and get back if it goes all wrong.

Met her last night and I don't have any doubts about it now. She was very good with him and he was flirting with her big time. I found out she does babysitting for a big plush hotel nearby and has looked after babies there as young as 2 weeks old!

The wee man is in great form today so I feel fairly confident about it. I don't think I'll say it to people at the party that I've left him with a sitter, I don't want to get the look of shock anymore

You're not feeding him to the lions! People should keep their shocked opinions about this to themselves.
    You've hired a responsible baby sitter for whom you've gotten recommendations from people you trust. You are allowed to go out and have fun without your baby.
    You are close by if anything does happen to go wrong but it almost never ever does.
    Enjoy the party and have fun. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Enjoy yourself! There's enough guilt around motherhood without others pushing it on you! Your instinct will be right and your only 15 mins away if they need you! It's important to have time out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks everyone, well it all went down successfully. Apparently he had a bit of a cry when he woke up (he does this with me sometimes as well for no reason) and then was completely fine, had his bottle and went to bed as usual. She was very good and texted me to let me know all was fine.

Definitely will use her again if no family etc available. I'm really glad I didn't chicken out of going to the party!

Advertisement