Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jump right in or test the water first...

• 15-11-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm relatively new to the world of motorbikes but been following this forum for a while now.

Recently moved to Dublin and have pretty much made up my mind to get a bike to shorten the commute in to work from Drumcondra.

With the new regulations, I plan on waiting until Jan 2013 to get my learners permit as I'm 26 and after 6 months getting my full unrestricted licence.

Likely I will take a trip over to a brother in Swansea and get a bike over there and ride it back sometime after I get my full licence.

My question is probably a stupid one to most but its something i've been pondering for a while - What sized bike would be best to get 1st?

Any work colleagues who bike have said not to bother with anything smaller than a 600cc as I'll get bored of it and want to upgrade within a couple of months.

I really like sports & naked frame bikes (particularly Ducatti Monsters)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

martomcg wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm relatively new to the world of motorbikes but been following this forum for a while now.

Recently moved to Dublin and have pretty much made up my mind to get a bike to shorten the commute in to work from Drumcondra.

With the new regulations, I plan on waiting until Jan 2013 to get my learners permit as I'm 26 and after 6 months getting my full unrestricted licence.

Likely I will take a trip over to a brother in Swansea and get a bike over there and ride it back sometime after I get my full licence.

My question is probably a stupid one to most but its something i've been pondering for a while - What sized bike would be best to get 1st?

Any work colleagues who bike have said not to bother with anything smaller than a 600cc as I'll get bored of it and want to upgrade within a couple of months.

I really like sports & naked frame bikes (particularly Ducatti Monsters)
    why not get the permit now, get the clock ticking on the 6 months, and exchange the permit for an unrestricted one after Jan 19?

Just do the I.B.T and you'll get to ride a few bikes,
    I did any way,

Went for a 400 suzuki drz and am super happy.
    my mate got a 250 at the same time and wants to sell it after a month!
    he wouldnt listen to anyone about getting a bigger cc bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

cojomo2 wrote: »
    why not get the permit now, get the clock ticking on the 6 months, and exchange the permit for an unrestricted one after Jan 19?

That's not a bad idea, wasn't sure if it was possible to do that.

That's not a bad idea, wasn't sure if it was possible to do that.

Also, if you going the direct access route for the unrestricted A, before you buy a bike, keep in mind that when doing your test, the bike you use must be at least 595cc, 40kw power and over 180kg.

Also, if you going the direct access route for the unrestricted A, before you buy a bike, keep in mind that when doing your test, the bike you use must be at least 595cc, 50kw power and over 180kg.

The direct access route is the one i intend on using. Likely I'll ask whatever instructor I take lessons/IBT with for a bike to sit the test on.

From the RSA website:
    If you are aged over 24 and you currently hold a learner permit for Category A before the 19th January 2013, but do not plan on sitting your driving test until after that date, you will have the following options:

You can apply for the post-19th January 2013 Category A learner permit which allows you to ride a motorcycle of unrestricted power output. You can then take your driving test by presenting to the test in the representative vehicle which is a minimum of 595cm3 and an engine power of at least 40kW. If you pass the driving test, you will be issued with a Category A certificate of competency which you can exchange for a Category A full licence in your local Motor Taxation Office, and which is unrestricted.

This however doesnt state whether the 6 months starts from the date of your original A permit or from the new post Jan 19th permit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The direct access route is the one i intend on using. Likely I'll ask whatever instructor I take lessons/IBT with for a bike to sit the test on.

From the RSA website:

This however doesnt state whether the 6 months starts from the date of your original A permit or from the new post Jan 19th permit?

The only way to know for sure is to ask the RSA. I've always found them very helpful whenever I've had a query. But what's the worst that'll happen? You'll have to wait till June to do the test instead of April, and pay for a 2nd permit.

From the RSA website:

I checked this with the RSA twice, 6 month countdown starts from the day your original restricted A permit was issued.

I checked this with the RSA twice, 6 month countdown starts from the day your original restricted A permit was issued.

Thanks cojomo2, saves me contacting them.

Will get on it and apply by the end of next wk!

Thanks cojomo2, saves me contacting them.

Will get on it and apply by the end of next wk!

Don't bother lining the pockets of RSA by buying their books/cds...if you have an android device, this is free and works a charm..I used this and got 40/40 on the theory test
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.georgiecasey.drivertheorytest&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nZW9yZ2llY2FzZXkuZHJpdmVydGhlb3J5dGVzdCJd

Don't bother lining the pockets of RSA by buying their books/cds...if you have an android device, this is free and works a charm..I used this and got 40/40 on the theory test
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.georgiecasey.drivertheorytest&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nZW9yZ2llY2FzZXkuZHJpdmVydGhlb3J5dGVzdCJd

Cheers! Absolute hero! Would've had to spend €30 on the book/CD

Funnily enough the next appointment I can get for the theory test is Jan 15th so looks like I'll have to wait anyway!

• Advertisement

No worries, best of luck with the test, it's handy enough. Jan 19 can't come soon enough for me..can't wait to get back on a bike:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭ratracer

If you want a monster, buy a monster, follow your heart and you won't get bored to quickly. From my experience, if you ask others what type of bike you should buy, they will tell you to buy a bike that they like, but this might not be what you want. Happy biking, welcome to the world of getting soaked, frozen, becoming a target for cage drivers, but still enjoying the freedom and peace of being out on the bike.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

OP, i had the same question when I was starting out. Listened to few advices and looked at few recommended bikes. Decided I liked the Bandit 600cc. Got that and I have not looked back since!

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    OP, i had the same question when I was starting out. Listened to few advices and looked at few recommended bikes. Decided I liked the Bandit 600cc. Got that and I have not looked back since!

Thanks Peanut. Yea I've decided I'll just get a 600cc. With the new regulations I'll have to get lessons and sit my test on a 595cc+ bike so its not like I wont know what to expect.

I'm going to go for a 600cc sports bike. Really like the look of Yamaha R6 but i've been told it would be suicide getting one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

martomcg, getting any 600cc bike is a suicide if you are not careful. The Bandit I have is restricted but it will still do 120Kmph with no problems. Lets face it, if you are responsible and do what you can to look out for your safety you will be ok. Most people I have spoken to who heard I was getting the 600cc bike, as my first ever bike, thought I was crazy.

Not of hope of getting insured on a r6 i would think

urbanledge wrote: »
    Not of hope of getting insured on a r6 i would think

I got a quote but only with a full licence selected. On a provisional they wouldn't quote alright.

I thinks it its impossible to get 1st time insurance on anything with an r in the name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah its hard enough to get insured on anything R when ya start.
    I started on a bandit 600 (restricted) and it did the job nicely.

goodlad wrote: »
    Yeah its hard enough to get insured on anything R when ya start.
    I started on a bandit 600 (restricted) and it did the job nicely.

Alot of people seem to be suggesting Bandit 600's. I'm not overly sold on them though, just in terms of their appearance.

What would be a decent sports bike equivalent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Alot of people seem to be suggesting Bandit 600's. I'm not overly sold on them though, just in terms of their appearance.

A Yamaha Fazer 600 would be it's equivalent. It's a great reliable bike.

I'm on one, and I know 3 other's who also started out on one. You should go for the 2001-2003 Foxeye model. The newer FZ6 I've heard isn't as reliable and it doesn't look as nice either.

bikepics-82542-800.jpg

If you want a sport type bike i would personally take a sv650 over a Fazer 600.
    But that's more just personal taste.

I liked starting on the bandit because the seating position was comfortable and fairly upright. It was nice starting out not leaning over like on a sports bike.

Anything like a gsxr or an r6 is going to get you raped on insurance at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭Wossack

what happened the monster?

the problem with sports bikes is theyre made for going really quite fast.. engine and ergonomics typically only really come into their own at kinda high speeds. The fairing is also expensive for when you dont quite get the sidestand down all the way / slip on gravel / unbalance yourself doing a slow uturn etc etc silly stupid things we've all done or nearly done starting out.. Things Ive 'caught' on my light starter 125, Id have no chance on my heavier 600 basically

also reckon theres a bit of posturing going on with the whole 'go 600cc, you'll be bored otherwise' thinking tbh - and I wouldnt take much stock in it personally.
    Ive seen some of these 'bored thinkers' losing more speed on their 600s through corners then some lads on 125's. I guess slamming the anchors, wrestling the bike through a corner, and then whacking the thottle open again on the otherside constitutes excitement for some

Wossack wrote: »
    also reckon theres a bit of posturing going on with the whole 'go 600cc, you'll be bored otherwise' thinking tbh - and I wouldnt take much stock in it personally.
    Ive seen some of these 'bored thinkers' losing more speed on their 600s through corners then some lads on 125's. I guess slamming the anchors, wrestling the bike through a corner, and then whacking the thottle open again on the otherside constitutes excitement for some

It very much depends on what type or roads the dude is gonna use his bike on.
    If its in a city he will be handier having a smaller bike and if there are a lot of open straight roads i find having something with more power is handy.

Sure that doesnt matter anyway because he needs something 595cc + for the test.

And btw, slamming the anchors, wrestling the bike through a corner, and then whacking the thottle open again on the otherside most defo constitutes fun for me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

The Don wrote: »

I'm on one, and I know 3 other's who also started out on one. You should go for the 2001-2003 Foxeye model. The newer FZ6 I've heard isn't as reliable and it doesn't look as nice either.

I would also recommend a Fazer 600 but I am bias towards them!

What have you heard, are you sure it was not a case of the owner not taking care of the bike? Just a little over 60K Km on my 2005 FZ6 45K of that was put on by me and it never gave me any hastle, I'm an all weather rider as well. I know a few other lads on the later models, they never had any issues either.

Wossack wrote: »
    what happened the monster?

the problem with sports bikes is theyre made for going really quite fast.. engine and ergonomics typically only really come into their own at kinda high speeds. The fairing is also expensive for when you dont quite get the sidestand down all the way / slip on gravel / unbalance yourself doing a slow uturn etc etc silly stupid things we've all done or nearly done starting out.. Things Ive 'caught' on my light starter 125, Id have no chance on my heavier 600 basically

The Monster is still there firmly in my mind but the model i'm the most interested in is the newest 796. Which is a little expensive for my current tastes. I reckon a couple more promotions and year or 2 on my 1st bike (whatever it will be) and i'll be ready for a monster!

The bike will mainly be used for a 12km (round trip) commute from Drumcondra to Grand Canal Dock and then home to Mullingar every other weekend.

The Don wrote: »

Have to say I like the look of the Fazer. What kind of prices would you be talking for one of these?

Better yet whats a reasonable amount to spend on first bike? (say its a 600)

I'm thinking under €2500?

goodlad wrote: »

That last one there is a savage looking bike!

SV650 now definitely on my radar!

Cheers!

• Advertisement

That last one there is a savage looking bike!

SV650 now definitely on my radar!

Cheers!

Its pretty much identical to my own bike and my bike is sexy! lol

With the budget you mentioned you can easily get yourself a good bike to start on. When i started i had a total budget of 5k for bike, gear, insurance etc....

Advertisement