Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this possible

Options
  • 15-11-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Work PC
    Connected to the network through LAN. Internet access etc.

Is it possible to use "that" internet access for my ipad in a sort of tethering?
    Using my work PC internet for my ipad.

Ta'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

pajodublin wrote: »
    Work PC
    Connected to the network through LAN. Internet access etc.

Is it possible to use "that" internet access for my ipad in a sort of tethering?
    Using my work PC internet for my ipad.

Ta'

probably not... most IT Dept's use Active Directory to restrict access to the network.

your work PC will have been granted access to the network and been assigned to a group within your company.

your IPAD would show up as another pc but because it has not been assigned to a group on active directory it will be seen by the active directory server as unauthorised and therefore blocked access

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

probably not... most IT Dept's use Active Directory to restrict access to the network.

your work PC will have been granted access to the network and been assigned to a group within your company.

your IPAD would show up as another pc but because it has not been assigned to a group on active directory it will be seen by the active directory server as unauthorised and therefore blocked access
    I look after AD. The iPad only shows up as a device on the PC and not on the network
    One example i can think of but different is I use LAN connection at home from Xbox to Laptop so i can use xbox live.

I look after AD. The iPad only shows up as a device on the PC and not on the network
    One example i can think of but different is I use LAN connection at home from Xbox to Laptop so i can use xbox live.

does your network have a wifi router or access point?

if yes then connect the ipad to the wifi and it will show up in AD... then u can assign it to a group and it should work

as most Managers use blackberrys or Iphone most IT Depts have a group for iphones/blackberrys... you could put your IPad in that group

No wifi all cable network.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

The Ipad needs wifi access for internet, it cannot network through the USB connector. If your work pc has wireless you may be able to use that as an access point.

• Advertisement

No wifi all cable network.

are you the IT manager?

The Ipad needs wifi access for internet, it cannot network through the USB connector. If your work pc has wireless you may be able to use that as an access point.

Thanks I'll give that a go
    are you the IT manager?
    No, there are about 300 of us in IT. Big Company

you could speak to your manager about getting a wifi access point setup for your network to allow for iphones/ipads/blackberrys etc

the access point could be configured to route through your firewall/antivirus server to deal with unscrupulous websites

you could speak to your manager about getting a wifi access point setup for your network to allow for iphones/ipads/blackberrys etc

the access point could be configured to route through your firewall/antivirus server to deal with unscrupulous websites

That wouldn't happen unfortunately.
    Sensitive information and the likes

But thanks for your replies. Much appreciated

That wouldn't happen unfortunately.
    Sensitive information and the likes

But thanks for your replies. Much appreciated

the last place i worked at has a separate net connection for wifi that was isolated from the main network... in the event of our lines going down we could route that back up connection to provide net access to the main network but this would block all phones/ipads when used in backup line mode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement