Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do developers insult gamers intelligence

• 15-11-2012 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Playing through assassin creed 3 and going through the tutorial mode i am noticing More and more that tutorials are so basic i believe that they are insulting our intelligence That we cant comprehend That moving forward means holding the analog stick forward.

I believe even a person who never picked up a controller before knows how to at least move forward.

There should be an option to skip the bull**** and just jump into the story mode

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,627 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Playing through assassin creed 3 and going through the tutorial mode i am noticing More and more that tutorials are so basic i believe that they are insulting our intelligence That we cant comprehend That moving forward means holding the analog stick forward.

I believe even a person who never picked up a controller before knows how to at least move forward.

There should be an option to skip the bull**** and just jump into the story mode

Those tutorials are designed with the American audience in mind.

(there usually is an option to skip)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So called game designers need to play super metroid:

SuperMetroid-MorphingBall.gif

Collecting the morph ball in Super Metroid. You drop down from the top but you can't exit from the top. Your only way out is through the bottom but it's too small to get through and there's a weird block in the way.

Oh what's this? The morph ball I just collected can make me small enough to get through the gap but there's that block in the way. Oh I can lay mines to get rid of the block in morph ball mode.

Number of players that are stumped and can't figure out how to use the morph ball power up: 0

Number of patronising tutorials full of text used: 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Hold on while we calibrate your suit, ok look left, now right, now up now down"

*achievement unlocked*

Fuuuuuuuu....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Assassins Creed is the extreme end of the scale. What, ten hours of tutorial before the game finally opens up? Plus you know scattered tutorials for newish mechanics even after that. It's more than a little ridiculous.

I do miss the old days of separate tutorials in games like Deus Ex (think Half-Life had them too). Introducing you through the basic mechanics in an entirely optional, enclosed and controlled environment, without intruding on the game itself. Other games are much more elegant, like the Super Metroid example above - introducing new mechanics within the game itself through visual cues and carefully funneling level design. Really most of the best tutorials are the ones you never notice because they're so natural. There's also the minimalist, non-text cues of something like Journey that teach without breaking the diegesis of the gameworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,715 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kippy wrote: »
    Based on what.
    "Hold on while we calibrate your suit, ok look left, now right, now up now down"
    Ah, Halo. Go back and play that again: when they tell you to look up, point your stick down, when they tell you to look down, point your stick down. The tutorial man will get confused and tell you to try it again (or he simply asks you if you want inverted or normal look controls), but thats the whole point of that exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Valve made Portal - not tutorials really in the first one.
    Was just a progression and culmination of everything you had learned, teaching at its best.
    (although in contrast they did have you "look up / look down / press W to move forward" etc)

I was angry and disappointed with some of my friends who stopped playing halfway through or near the start because they "couldn't figure out" what to do.

Overheal wrote: »
    Based on what.
    On ingnorance and racism, in thinking all Americans are idiots I'd guess.
    Whereas if you listen to the Adrian Kennedy phoneshow for 2 minutes you will find that Irish people are the intellectual superiors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I don't believe they do...assassin creed series is targeted at the lower intelligence level gamer anyway, Sure isn't it the same bloody game each year re-skinned with new ways to jump and climb up a wall :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

krudler wrote: »

*achievement unlocked*

Fuuuuuuuu....

The sad thing is that when it was first used in Halo it was a brilliantly intuitive way to check if you liked your controls inverted or not. Now it's used to see if you know how to use a joystick.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Valve made Portal - not tutorials really in the first one.
    Was just a progression and culmination of everything you had learned, teaching at its best.
    (although in contrast they did have you "look up / look down / press W to move forward" etc)

I was angry and disappointed with some of my friends who stopped playing halfway through or near the start because they "couldn't figure out" what to do.

On ingnorance and racism, in thinking all Americans are idiots I'd guess.
    Whereas if you listen to the Adrian Kennedy phoneshow for 2 minutes you will find that Irish people are the intellectual superiors.

Portal 2 at least takes the piss out of the tutorial though, "...you just jumped there, fair enough".

What annoys me is that they dumb down long established franchises. Now ok not everyone will have played say Halo 1-3 and might get Halo 4 for christmas, or be young or a new player, fair enough, but there should be a "I've played this series before and know what I'm doing" option on any sequels that follow the same basic controls and layout of previous titles, some games do I think MGS has a "I've played this series before" or something when you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Its a consequence of making sequels. The more they make the wider the target audience becomes until your aiming at 3 year olds who need these tutorials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aye, Nintendo really did nail this back in the day. I've linked this before but in case anyone missed it, here's another example from the original Mario Bros.

Nowadays though you have vastly different types of people playing video games so I can see the need to offer a larger variety of tutorials. Separating them out from the main game in order to avoid frustrating veterans of a series is something which should most certainly be done though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

This sums up tutorials pretty well:
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/tutorials-101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Portal 2 at least takes the piss out of the tutorial though, "...you just jumped there, fair enough".

I did laugh at Claptrap in the beginning of Borderlands 2:

"Well done! Your ability to walk short distances without dying will be Handsome Jack's Downfall!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'd say there is an unofficial side to these tutorials.
    Take Call of Duty, its not meant to be played by a 12 year old. But it does be and they know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah laughed at the remarks in that.
    Prompt on screen: Press space to talk
    *Press Space*
    Shel jumps
    Wheatly:"Okay I think you may be a bit brain damaged" or something along those lines.

Or just do what Nintendo did with Mario Galaxy 2 and include a tutorial dvd. :)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah laughed at the remarks in that.
    Prompt on screen: Press space to talk
    *Press Space*
    Shel jumps
    Wheatly:"Okay I think you may be a bit brain damaged" or something along those lines.

Or just do what Nintendo did with Mario Galaxy 2 and include a tutorial dvd. :)

or do what New Super Mario Bros did and the game will just play itself :pac:

Long time gamers will know well how the basic mechanics of stuff works, there's only so many control types you can have after all. Back in the old days you were lumped into the game and unless you read the manual, tough, you're gonna get battered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This comes in to my mind.

YEAH!!! I GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,715 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IKR?! That was the best 20 minute rant I've ever sat down for, at least 5 separate times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

kippy wrote: »

(there usually is an option to skip)

Ridiculous. Get off high horse etc.

Indy Game The Movie has some parts where the creators of Super Meat Boy teach the players how the game works without ever teaching them in a literal sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Overheal wrote: »
    IKR?! That was the best 20 minute rant I've ever sat down for, at least 5 separate times.

he did a lot of very funny videos and he did made Metal gear awesome, but he is VERY good when it comes to stuff like this. i just would love him to do more Sequalities content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

To paraphrase what Stan Lee says about comics, "Every game is someone's first game," Some tutorials are a bit excessive, but they're designed for people who it's their first time picking up a controller.

You might say ah but it's Assassin's Creed 3, who'd buy the third game in a series without playing the others? Not many, but a few people would. I know of a couple. The first Assassin's Creed game my nephew played was Brotherhood.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    To paraphrase what Stan Lee says about comics, "Every game is someone's first game," Some tutorials are a bit excessive, but they're designed for people who it's their first time picking up a controller.

You might say ah but it's Assassin's Creed 3, who'd buy the third game in a series without playing the others? Not many, but a few people would. I know of a couple. The first Assassin's Creed game my nephew played was Brotherhood.

Half the fun of most games is figuring out what is going on. Maybe its a flaw in my character, but I get completely bored with something as soon as there isn't anything new to learn. Throw me in the deep end every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (arcade) had a brilliant nugget.
    512 Special and 512 Guard

Apparently the designers of Street Fighter II wanted to expose players to the fighters' special moves as a way to entice newcomers into digging deeper and mastering complex controls. To this end, they programmed a 1-in-512 possibility of standard button presses converting instantly into special moves. Of course, if character isn't in a position to attack, the input is ignored as usual. Furthermore, normal moves can not be interrupted in this manner, so mashing rapid-fire weak attacks won't work. Oddly enough, there's also a 1-in-512 chance of blocking an oncoming attack, even without holding any defensive direction. Both 1/512 idiosyncrasies are exclusive to WW, having been eliminated by CE.
    (via SonicHurricane.com)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Final Fantasy XIII is a particularly horrific offender that springs to mind. Final Fantasy VII did a great job by setting up 2 tutorial rooms that you could visit if you wanted to.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I want to play Mega man X again.

If thats what this is about it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Take Call of Duty, its not meant to be played by a 12 year old. But it does be and they know that.

Nah, its designed for 12 year olds.

they-dont-think-it-be-like-it-is.jpg

Final Fantasy VII did a great job by setting up 2 tutorial rooms that you could visit if you wanted to.

Yeah, they did such a wonderful job that I missed both the first time I played through the game and beat it the first time without even realising I could equip accessories. Thankfully the game was easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mortal Kombat games where the special moves were hidden. Half the fun when new was figuring out a new move the other person didn't know about. Great fun.

• Advertisement

Mortal Kombat games where the special moves were hidden. Half the fun when new was figuring out a new move the other person didn't know about. Great fun.

Pro-tip: Unless it was fatalities, they were all in the manual.

Advertisement