Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do developers insult gamers intelligence

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Final Fantasy XIII is a particularly horrific offender that springs to mind. Final Fantasy VII did a great job by setting up 2 tutorial rooms that you could visit if you wanted to.
    And then FFVIII came along with one of the most atrocious, inelegant tutorial systems ever made. Yes, even worse than FFXIII (okay, not really. But you get my point).

Anyway, I think it's absurd that games like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood need child-friendly tutorials. They're adult games ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

snausages wrote: »
    Anyway, I think it's absurd that games like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood need child-friendly tutorials. They're adult games ffs!

Plenty of adults have never played a console game too. It's nothing to do with age, it's experience of playing games. I have a friend who's around 27 who hadn't played video games since the PS1 days and I was trying to get him to play portal and it took him ages to get used to looking around with the right analogue stick, learning how much pressure to apply and all that, most of the time he would swing wildly in every direction and found it impossible to centre the view for ages, he won't even go near a faster paced game or something like Assassin's Creed at the moment, so he'd very much need the tutorial. Again you're looking at it from the point of view of someone who's played a lot of video games from a young age and maybe all your friends have too, which is fine for you to not like the tutorials, but to say they're not needed is the wrong assumption and missing the point of the tutorials I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Plenty of adults have never played a console game too. It's nothing to do with age, it's experience of playing games. I have a friend who's around 27 who hadn't played video games since the PS1 days and I was trying to get him to play portal and it took him ages to get used to looking around with the right analogue stick, learning how much pressure to apply and all that, most of the time he would swing wildly in every direction and found it impossible to centre the view for ages, he won't even go near a faster paced game or something like Assassin's Creed at the moment, so he'd very much need the tutorial. Again you're looking at it from the point of view of someone who's played a lot of video games from a young age and maybe all your friends have too, which is fine for you to not like the tutorials, but to say they're not needed is the wrong assumption and missing the point of the tutorials I think.

Fair enough, but I never said that tutorials were not needed. I'm just annoyed that a great part of games these days is taken up with explaining the most basic of things that can more easily be taught outside of the main game. There are more graceful ways to introduce players to the game's mechanics than 10 hour long introductions. Portal introduced new elements in every test chamber, the tutorial segment and the game itself were seamlessly merged together. Deus Ex put all its tutorial stuff in a separate option on the start-up menu. If you had to go through the practice mode every time you started up a new game it would be a pain. It just would be nice to have an option to skip most of this stuff

The abundance of context sensitive cues on HUDs annoys me as well. To it's credit AC usually lets you disable all of them. Other games don't though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And then FFVIII came along with one of the most atrocious, inelegant tutorial systems ever made. Yes, even worse than FFXIII (okay, not really. But you get my point).

Never had a problem with FFVIII's myself. The junction system needed explaining and all the tutorials were both skippable and accessible at any time in the game's menu.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pro-tip: Unless it was fatalities, they were all in the manual.

I distinctly remember either 2 or 3 did not include special moves.

Edit: just looked at a manual. Only included 2 special moves a character. Left others to be discovered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Considering you are reading and discussing this on a games forum on the internet, absolutely zero percent of us are the target audience for these tutorials

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its just a case of being accessible to the widest audience. The more "noobs" that can pick up a game and be able to play it, the better it is for the dev/publisher.

Im not too bothered about it. A good game is one thats easy to pick up but difficult to master. If a game has a dopey tutorial that doesnt last too long, I dont mind as long as it eventually goes on to become something that is interesting and requires a bit of skill to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Deus Ex put all its tutorial stuff in a separate option on the start-up menu. If you had to go through the practice mode every time you started up a new game it would be a pain. It just would be nice to have an option to skip most of this stuff

The abundance of context sensitive cues on HUDs annoys me as well. To it's credit AC usually lets you disable all of them. Other games don't though.

Yeah I'd be all for a skippable tutorial, would be the best of both worlds. Assassin's Creed 3's tutorial does seem excessively long, the trouble with them is they usually try to tie in the story into the tutorial too so it stops them making them skippable. Even having it as an option for a second playthrough would be something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose it's as frustrating to gamers as the movie industry is to movie fans these days by insisting on PG rated sequels to 18 rated movies but I'll mention no Die Hards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Playing through assassin creed 3 and going through the tutorial mode i am noticing More and more that tutorials are so basic i believe that they are insulting our intelligence That we cant comprehend That moving forward means holding the analog stick forward.

I believe even a person who never picked up a controller before knows how to at least move forward.

There should be an option to skip the bull**** and just jump into the story mode

Games like the Call of Duty series are insulting. Mindless rollercoaster visual overload, where graphics is meant to replace genuine story and meaningfull choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Games like the Call of Duty series are insulting. Mindless rollercoaster visual overload, where graphics is meant to replace genuine story and meaningfull choice.
    Insulting to who?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If that's what people want. I hope you don't buy them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

If that's what people want. I hope you don't buy them.

Its no better than sitting on your couch dribbling in front of the tv, and some mind-numbing ****ing game show.

I do buy them, but only for the multiplayer which up untill the black ops series was quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Its no better than sitting on your couch dribbling in front of the tv, and some mind-numbing ****ing game show.

I do buy them, but only for the multiplayer which up untill the black ops series was quite good.
    And what about the people who would have referred to the multiplayer in the post-MW CoD games in a similar manner to which you've described above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

gizmo wrote: »
    And what about the people who would have referred to the multiplayer in the post-MW CoD games in a similar manner to which you've described above?

I'd call them snobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Halo games don't give you meaningful choices either, and they recycled some of their levels quite a lot.

Still considered one of the best console series of all time

Advertisement