Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fit of manic gerosity

Options
  • 15-11-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

was about to engulf me just now, when I assembled a post about a dealer over here selling some v. fine Leupold tactical-type scopes - some at almost half the regular retail price. :)

Lucky for you guys, then, that I thought to call the dealer and see if he was happy to sell scopes like this to customers in the RoI.

Imagine my amazement when he told me that he could sell ANY scope - up to x4 power - to a customer in the RoI, but anything larger than that was defined as a war item, and needed a DTI export license. :eek: x 5

As he pointed out, he could happily sell you a eu1500 S&B scope that had a magnification of 1.5 -4, but not a eu50 Hawke that was only a x6. :eek:

What absolute sense all these rules make.:mad:

Not.

tac

PS - if anybody IS interested, regardless of the faffing about necessary, I WILL post the details, if not, I'll forget all about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tac foley wrote: »
    Imagine my amazement when he told me that he could sell ANY scope - up to x4 power - to a customer in the RoI, but anything larger than that was defined as a war item, and needed a DTI export license. :eek: x 5

As he pointed out, he could happily sell you a eu1500 S&B scope that had a magnification of 1.5 -4, but not a eu50 Hawke that was only a x6. :eek:

And I thought Irish rules could have weird edge cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

What about using parcelmotel or similar type of setup. Ships to an address in Antrim (I think) and they ship to several locations down here.

Btw never used that service myself, so can't comment on how it works in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

mrbrianj wrote: »
    What about using parcelmotel. Ships to an address in Antrim (I think) and they ship to several locations down here

Shipping to Northern Ireland? Not a problem.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We can thank the UN for these brilliant rules...While laudable to try and prevent 10 year old kids running around Africa with new AK47s or other hardware .The law of unintended, [or in these cases the law of acceptable collateral damage to the law abiding worldwide:mad:.] Consequences rears its ugly head.In short;these rules do nothing to prevent people supplying themselves or other entites with state of the art shooting irons to butcher themselves or the current tinpot dictator that has finally got his peoples goat for the last time.

But rant aside..Do tell Tac,I'd fancy a nice S&B for Xmas.:cool::)
    Grizz.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    We can thank the UN for these brilliant rules...While laudable to try and prevent 10 year old kids running around Africa with new AK47s or other hardware .The law of unintended, [or in these cases the law of acceptable collateral damage to the law abiding worldwide:mad:.] Consequences rears its ugly head.In short;these rules do nothing to prevent people supplying themselves or other entites with state of the art shooting irons to butcher themselves or the current tinpot dictator that has finally got his peoples goat for the last time.

But rant aside..Do tell Tac,I'd fancy a nice S&B for Xmas.:cool::)
    Grizz.

Sir - these scopes are all Leupold...I'd bet that you can do far better than we can with prices for S&B - you are in the euro zone, and the UK is not. Plus you have that useful dealer guy over on the mainland Yoorup who posts here with great offers.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

tac foley wrote: »
    Shipping to Northern Ireland? Not a problem.

tac

I have just such an address if anyone needs to avail of it...

OK, I'm persuaded - here is the dealer -

www.lgasupplies.com - 44-1904-608635

They have the following scopes -

Leupold VX-111 - 3.5-10x40 illum £495.00

Leupold VX-111 - 3.5-10x40 non-illum £399.00

Leupold VX-111 1.5 -5x20 illum incl. Badger ring for any Weaver rail - £399.00

Leupold Mk 4 Long Range Tactical 3.5 - 10x40 illum - £599.00

tac

Advertisement