Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindfulness

Options
  • 15-11-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Ladies...

Just wondering if anyone on this could recommend an affordable Mindfulness course? The ones I keep coming accorss are 350 each , which is a little steep for me. I'm based Northside and work 9-5 Monday- Friday... so if someone knows one that suits it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

LadyLoulou wrote: »
    Hi Ladies...

Just wondering if anyone on this could recommend an affordable Mindfulness course? The ones I keep coming accorss are 350 each , which is a little steep for me. I'm based Northside and work 9-5 Monday- Friday... so if someone knows one that suits it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Buy the power of now for 10 euro and watch Eckhart Tolle YouTube videos. That should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

What's a mindfullness course? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

As far as I know mindfulness is a Zen type concept where you live every moment and appreciate everything you have, sort of notice things instead of going through life without really paying attention to your surroundings, thoughts, sensations etc. I think it has its roots in Buddhism but is a lovely concept even if you don't subscribe to Buddhism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

If you don't find a course that is affordable and suits, I can recommend trying out CDs/books by Jon Kabat-Zinn. The audio talks you through it - and then after practicing with the CD for a while you may feel like you can practice without the cues.

Padraig O'Morain, who is an author/trainer on the subject often runs mindfulness experience days in Dublin which could be a good introduction, as well as longer courses. A couple of my friends have done courses with him and enjoyed them. (I'm not affiliated with the course, just passing on a word of mouth recommendation!)

Padraig O'Morain's Mindfulness

Hi, this group are meeting in the Botanic Gardens on Saturday next. I'm thinking of going, haven't been yet but don't believe that need a course is needed before attending. You'll find the details on meetup dot com if you're interested :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Struggler

Use the "happiness trap" by russ harris. it is a very readable book that you can dip in and out of and his website has other reources for doing your own course at home. You need to be doing it almost every day for 8 weeks to start seeing the real benefit .

If you have VHI you can do course for free through some of private hospitals but you would need a diagnosis of some mental health problem.

It is looking like a very powerful approach to treating all sorts of problems that an overthinking mind can cause such as low self esttem, depression, anxiety etc . MRI on brains actually show that mindfullness increases activity and structural change in the part of the brain that calms down excessive rumination/self critticism etc.
    Thanks for the botanic gardens tip,i live next to them so will attend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

Malari wrote: »
    What's a mindfullness course? :confused:

I don't know what's a mindfullness course too.

Thanks to the other commenters for explaining what is it. You're a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LadyLoulou

Thanks a million for all the comments and recommendations... definitely going to check out the suggestions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Try the Sanctuary in Stonybatter - they run meditation and mindfulness courses for much cheaper than that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

You can just join a mindfulness group. See here. Bear in mind that mindfulness and $ are not compatible - other than simply covering costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Tony Bates is training some people on the John Murray show in Mindfulness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Hi Ladies...

Thanks!
    You say you're based Northside, right? If you're in the Swords area, I recommend you register with Curum and start attending the Mindfulness classes run in the Castlebrook Day Hospital (HSE building, next to Swords Castle). They're free and the groups are reletively small sized at about 8 people. Not sure if they're open to everyone though or if you have to be regularly attending the hospital due to mental health issues or whatnot but it's the one I'm current doing at the minute and so far it's proving helpful.

EDIT: Doh! Forgot the times. The classes are usually held on a Wednday at 2pm or Friday at 11am and last for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Full Catastrophe Living is a great book for this if you want to try it on your own. I think doing it in a group is wise because ye have other people to inspire/push you on. I've found it very difficult to practice on my own, but I wouldn't go paying for a group myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

bisset wrote: »
    Tony Bates is training some people on the John Murray show in Mindfulness.
    Is there a podcast of that anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

I did this course last year 2 and half hours a week for 6 weeks , approx €140 when i did it

http://www.dublinbuddhistcentre.org/meditation.htm they're based on Joyce Street just off Talbot Street

Found it excellent use it every day since, sometimes twice, also use this

http://www.omharmonics.com/products

Find it really helps....I find mindfulness a lot like the gym or study , the more you do, the easier it gets, a lot of people start it and leave and have to start over months later,

• Registered Users Posts: 36 siobhanlleher

Hi Ladies...

Thanks!

The oasis centre in the city have a midfulness clinic. Good prices. Have heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hols

Hi LadyLoulou, If you haven't found anything yet, ACT Now Ireland does some great monthly workshops on mindfulness. They're only 10e per meeting. www.actnowireland.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scooter8

MOD Please don't ressurect zombie threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement