Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isreal at war. Many comentators egging them on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Is it that hard to do your own research ?

Not only is it well-known, but it's extremely easy to find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Nations_resolutions_concerning_Israel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Nations_resolutions_concerning_Israel#References

Click on the first reference and see what you get to back up your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Just back from the bunker. Sirens sounded in Jerusalem again. I thought I heard a boom, but sounded far away.

Hamas claim responsibility for the rocket. It actually landed in an open area of a Palestinian village in the West Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Zebra3 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Nations_resolutions_concerning_Israel#References

Click on the first reference and see what you get to back up your point.

Does that somehow mean those resolutions don't exist ?

Because it doesn't.
    I'm not debating whether the resolutions are good or bad, just the amount of them which is not up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

brimal wrote: »
    Hamas claim responsibility for the rocket. It actually landed in an open area of a Palestinian village in the West Bank.

Well at least it didn't slaughter people in a media building.

One could only imagine the outrage if Hamas fired hi-tech rockets at a building with journos in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Just back from the bunker. Sirens sounded in Jerusalem again. I thought I heard a boom, but sounded far away.

make sure your dogs and cats are indoors incase they get injured.

everyone talks about the palestinian kids and woman getting killed but nobody seems to care about the israeli pets getting hurt.

http://twitter.com/urihoresh/status/270456956970491905/photo/1

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Leftist wrote: »

make sure your dogs and cats are indoors incase they get injured.

everyone talks about the palestinian kids and woman getting killed but nobody seems to care about the israeli pets getting hurt.

http://twitter.com/urihoresh/status/270456956970491905/photo/1

Jesus ****ing christ all ****ing mighty how long are we going to put up with these ****ing ***** on this planet!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

keithob wrote: »
    Galloway is a complete nutter!!! maybe he needs to be in order to be heard.

What bout obama
    & cameron sitting back and letting this sh1t go on.

It is wrong in this day and age that women and children are being murdered in an endless war

Where is the Irish govt on this ??? very quiet... fcuking muppets thats why.

It is absolutely shocking what is going on in Gaza as it is wrong for Hamas to fire into Israel.. the cause of the war is a huge conversation.

It just needs to stop. Israel are driving young lads into hamas by their hundreds...

Obama runs america who provide Israel with the vast majority of their weapons for attacking the Palestinians.

What can Ireland do for now bar maybe boycott Israeli goods .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

where is the irish government on this? :D

who. cares.

Imagine you were running some monstrous organisation and someone told you that derek, a 50yr old unemployed factory worker from a state subsidised flat said you were bang out of order. Well I'd imagine you'd fold it up and call it a day.

obama, like all american presidents are constrained by the israeli lobby. Going against them is political suicide in the u.s.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Obama runs america who provide Israel with the vast majority of their weapons for attacking the Palestinians.

What can Ireland do for now bar maybe boycott Israeli goods .

It's actually about 50/50 with locally manufactured weaponry.
    The majority of their army vehicles are Israeli, or based on US models and modified in Israel.

Actually he has just sent Clinton over to talk with the Egyptians and Palestinians for a ceasefire.

What more can he (or the rest of the world) do, bar sending in troops (who may easily become a target for both parties) ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

A worrying escalation in the conflict is being reported

Haha, that is your best contribution-ever

Ha'aretz wrote:
    5:24 P.M. Senior Israeli officials: Cease-fire with Hamas to go into effect within hours (Barak Ravid)

5:05 P.M. Egyptian sources to Haaretz: Cease-fire signing to take place in Cairo on Wednesday, to be participated by UN chief Ban Ki-moon (Jack Khoury)

Good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Haha, that is your best contribution-ever

I think the site changed the link (it was working when I posted it so I don't think I fecked it up) but here it is again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gunnubi10

Good news

Ha! Until Israel breaks it again... these people do whatever they want and I think somebody mentioned that Israel has alot of UN resolutions against them,as if Israel gives a damn about the UN

Gunnubi10 wrote: »
    Ha! Until Israel breaks it again... these people do whatever they want and I think somebody mentioned that Israel has alot of UN resolutions against them,as if Israel gives a damn about the UN

Can't win eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Peace until they make a go for Iran.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Peace until they make a go for Iran.

Israel would be suicidal to go for Iran. Iran could wipe out all of Israel with its missiles. The country is tiny. There's no way the Israeli air force could take out ALL the missile sites in a country as big as Iran before they reached Israel evenwith America's help. This isn't some poor Gazan's with the potential to fire home-made rockets. Iran has some serious weapons, a serious special force and the ability to strike anywhere in the world through their cells. Furthermore, Hezbollah would get involved on the border with Israel and we all remember the comprehensive beating they gave to the Israeli's in 2006.

Israel's nukes will be essentially useless as the risk of radiation blow back would be too great.

There is no conceivably outcome where Israel would come away from attacking Iran in a stronger position. It would be completely suicidal.

Higher wrote: »
    Israel would be suicidal to go for Iran. Iran could wipe out all of Israel with its missiles. The country is tiny. There's no way the Israeli air force could take out ALL the missile sites in a country as big as Iran before they reached Israel evenwith America's help. This isn't some poor Gazan's with the potential to fire home-made rockets. Iran has some serious weapons, a serious special force and the ability to strike anywhere in the world through their cells. Furthermore, Hezbollah would get involved on the border with Israel and we all remember the comprehensive beating they gave to the Israeli's in 2006.

Israel's nukes will be essentially useless as the risk of radiation blow back would be too great.

There is no conceivably outcome where Israel would come away from attacking Iran in a stronger position. It would be completely suicidal.

Couldnt have explained it better, its even rumoured the latest peace talks between Hamas and Israel was because Hamas has managed to get hold of Iranian made missiles the "Fajr-5" and they hit Tel Aviv stunning Israel. I think if this is used as an excuse to attack Iran it will be a stupid move and like you said the US,UK will have to get involved then...bye bye to the world economy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus contrary to sabre rattling backed up with not a little hype from the US right wing press(The Iranian prez never said Israel should be wiped from the world for example), the Iranians aren't particularly gung ho for an all out conflict with Israel. If one came it would be bloody carnage. Both sides would fight tooth and nail. Plus if it did come down to looking like Israel being overrun they would use the nukes. If you have em you'll use em when up agin the wall and they've had enough experience of historical treatment of their people that paranoia and real "never again!" would kick in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Couldnt have explained it better, its even rumoured the latest peace talks between Hamas and Israel was because Hamas has managed to get hold of Iranian made missiles the "Fajr-5" and they hit Tel Aviv stunning Israel. I think if this is used as an excuse to attack Iran it will be a stupid move and like you said the US,UK will have to get involved then...bye bye to the world economy.

Attacking Gaza isn't going to get the Iranians involved, more likely the Egyptians.

If they started dicking around in Southern Lebanon again I'd be more worried of them using it as an excuse to go after Iran, but it was only 6 years ago that Hezbollah bitch slapped them out of Lebanon so I doubt they are stupid enough to try it again yet.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Sounds like you've been watching presstv a bit too much.

This subject has already come up in the military forum, this was my far more rational explanation of why an Israeli attack on Iran probably won't happen.
    There are several reasons why an Israel attack on Iran's nuclear facilities would be extremely difficult if not unlikely.

The first is that in order to effectively bomb all of Iran's nuclear facilities plus suppress Irans radar and AA missile sites plus suppress Iran's fighter defences AND provide top cover would probably need just about every F-15 and F-16 that Israel possesses.

Second, even if they did muster all those planes, they'd need meticulous planning and flawless execution to get them all over the targets at the right times. Otherwise it could be a disaster. If Israel launched an attack like this and didn't get effective results then that would give Iran the green light to press on with their efforts. The threat of an attack could well be far more effective than an actual attack.

Third, even if the attacks went perfectly the planes still have to be refuelled to get back. It wouldn't do to have F-16's dropping out of the sky over Saudi or Turkey (depending on which route they took). Israel has a fleet of rather elderly Boeing 707 tankers but whether they'd risk them is another issue. Azerbaijan would be a possible place for Israeli planes to land and refuel but would the Azeri's risk a possible confrontation with Iran?

Those are the major risks imo. Iran's ability to hit back would probably be effected by Israel attacks on command and control facilities. Plus Israel is the world leader in anti-ballistic missile technology, most of Israel (including Dimona) is covered by Arrow anti-ballistic missile batteries.

Hezbollah is probably at its weakest at the moment with its partner Syria undergoing a revolution and the spread of that conflict to Lebanon. There are Iron Dome batteries covering the Lebanon and Gaza borders and while it would be impossible for them to take down every missile, the thing is that they simply don't have to. They only have to shoot down those missiles that would be likely to hit civilian areas.

Also if Hezbollah do get shooty, the IDF ran extensive exercises in 2010 and 2011 to engage Hezbollah in a ground war. The mistakes made and deficiencies found in the 2006 attack on Hezbollah in Lebanon have been acknowledged by the IDF and should have been tackled at this stage.

I hope Israel doesn't actually carry out an attack, the last thing the world economy needs is an oil shock brought on by a middle east conflict.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Attacking Gaza isn't going to get the Iranians involved, more likely the Egyptians.

If they started dicking around in Southern Lebanon again I'd be more worried of them using it as an excuse to go after Iran, but it was only 6 years ago that Hezbollah bitch slapped them out of Lebanon so I doubt they are stupid enough to try it again yet.

Yeah but what I meant is the US and Israel want the Iran war so much they will use anything as an excuse, "The Iran has been developing Nuclear Weapons" rhetoric has not picked up steam as most people know about that same old trick they are now using against Iran, look at CNN or FOX repeatedly reporting that Iran is helping Hamas by smuggling weapons...that sounds like warmongering propaganda to me. I still think Iran is the true target I am not sure Egypt might get involved.

Please Please check out this epic slip up in disinformation and you be the judge:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/9682414/Its-got-to-do-with-Iran-Chief-Rabbi-Lord-Sacks-unguarded-comments-about-Gaza-conflict.html#

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness that's just Lord Sack's views on it, he's just an English Rabbi, as far as I know he's actually pretty moderate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus contrary to sabre rattling backed up with not a little hype from the US right wing press(The Iranian prez never said Israel should be wiped from the world for example), the Iranians aren't particularly gung ho for an all out conflict with Israel. If one came it would be bloody carnage. Both sides would fight tooth and nail. Plus if it did come down to looking like Israel being overrun they would use the nukes. If you have em you'll use em when up agin the wall and they've had enough experience of historical treatment of their people that paranoia and real "never again!" would kick in.
    But that nut job Ahmadinejad DID say that..."as the imam said Israel should be wiped from the map". October 05 I believe. He also claimed that anyone who officially recognised Israel will burn in the fury of the Islamic nation. Nice people the iranians, stands to reason that they back those other nice blokes in Hamas.

Seaneh wrote: »
    In fairness that's just Lord Sack's views on it, he's just an English Rabbi, as far as I know he's actually pretty moderate?

Why would they hush him up and remind him he was live on air? even if events dont play out like I suspect, The US will still go after Iran for refusing to use petrodollars and I think Iran, Syria are the only countries in the M.E with a Central bank not controlled by the Banking Elites, so a war is on but the question is when...

But that nut job Ahmadinejad DID say that..."as the imam said Israel should be wiped from the map". October 05 I believe. He also claimed that anyone who officially recognised Israel will burn in the fury of the Islamic nation. Nice people the iranians, stands to reason that they back those other nice blokes in Hamas.

whoa hold on... he was mistranslated, from my understanding he said:

The existence of the Zionist regime is an insult to all humanity.

It was later admitted by some Israeli officials:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/israeli-minister-agrees-ahmadinejad-never-said-israel-must-be-wiped-off-the-map/

Of course some people are still running with the "wiping of the map story"

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Jesus the mods should make a sticky on that 'wiped off the face of the earth comment'

It was a mistranslation. Ahmadinejad NEVER said Israel should be wiped off the map

Israel would be suicidal to go for Iran. Iran could wipe out all of Israel with its missiles. The country is tiny. There's no way the Israeli air force could take out ALL the missile sites in a country as big as Iran
    Size of a country is irrelevant, Israel hammered several Arab countries many times its size during the 1967 6 day war and back then they weren't a fraction the country they are now with regards to offensive weapons.

Israel is the most powerful country in the middle east and they are not afraid to demonstrate this with their bullying and threats.

http://www.anarchorob.com/.a/6a0120a8795c4a970b0162fbf7975f970d-popup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Size of a country is irrelevant, Israel hammered several Arab countries many times its size during the 1967 6 day war and back then they weren't a fraction the country they are now with regards to offensive weapons.

Israel is the most powerful country in the middle east and they are not afraid to demonstrate this with their bullying and threats.

http://www.anarchorob.com/.a/6a0120a8795c4a970b0162fbf7975f970d-popup

Size is relevant. Stating otherwise is foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Shryke wrote: »
    Size is relevant. Stating otherwise is foolish.
    In the event of an invasion yes it is but in terms of two armies meeting in open warfare not so much. Israel has proven it can take up countries much bigger then itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus contrary to sabre rattling backed up with not a little hype from the US right wing press(The Iranian prez never said Israel should be wiped from the world for example).

Ahem, are you trying to tell me Bill O'Reilly is wrong!!

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    In the event of an invasion yes it is but in terms of two armies meeting in open warfare not so much. Israel has proven it can take up countries much bigger then itself.

:) Sorry LOL! against who? I mean in the last 20 years which war has Israel been involved in? if you mean their lapdog US then yes they have fought a war but Israel still relies heavily on Mossad and creating proxy wars, even the US hasnt fought a huge war since Vietnam and people dont recognize this. The United States is yet to fight a solid opposing Military force since World War 2, they lost in Vietnam(against locals who had AK's and booby traps), are losing in Iraq, Afghanistan(a war which is destroying the US economy), are you telling me they can invade and take over Iran? now I didnt want to drag this on but the only way these countries will defeat Syria and Iran in this current climate is the use of Nuclear weapons, especially if Russia and China gets involved...which is unlikely and who suffers from all this? me and you and who benefits? Banks, Corporations and of course the Military Industrial Complex.

:) Sorry LOL! against who? I mean in the last 20 years which war has Israel been involved in? if you mean their lapdog US then yes they have fought a war but Israel still relies heavily on Mossad and creating proxy wars, even the US hasnt fought a huge war since Vietnam and people dont recognize this. The United States is yet to fight a solid opposing Military force since World War 2, they lost in Vietnam(against locals who had AK's and booby traps), are losing in Iraq, Afghanistan(a war which is destroying the US economy), are you telling me they can invade and take over Iran? now I didnt want to drag this on but the only way these countries will defeat Syria and Iran in this current climate is the use of Nuclear weapons, especially if Russia and China gets involved...which is unlikely and who suffers from all this? me and you and who benefits? Banks, Corporations and of course the Military Industrial Complex.
    Israel has plenty of weapons that could wipe out any large country in the region including Iran. It may not be in its best interest to go about it as it will loose what's left of its international support plus the possibility of a situation escalating into a world war.

EMP nuclear weapons.

http://www.realnewsreporter.com/?p=10530

Jesus the mods should make a sticky on that 'wiped off the face of the earth comment'

It was a mistranslation. Ahmadinejad NEVER said Israel should be wiped off the map
    Christ...what's the bloody difference. "It will not survive" " it is a cancerous tumour" etc. we know what they want to do. By the way we are non believers or infidels in their eyes so they wouldn't miss us either you know (well the non Muslims among us anyway)

Israel has plenty of weapons that could wipe out any large country in the region including Iran. It may not be in its best interest to go about it as it will loose what's left of its international support plus the possibility of a situation escalating into a world war.

EMP nuclear weapons.

http://www.realnewsreporter.com/?p=10530

great, more "alternative news" links, btw any more info on that missing Israeli F-16? Did it turn up on Tehran high street or maybe aliens abduct it perhaps? http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/11/16/272691/israeli-f16-jet-shot-down-in-gaza/

• Advertisement

Hamas have just executed six men in the street for allegedly spying for Israel. Five bodies left piled up on each other in public and another dragged through the streets while people queued up to kick and spit at the body. Savages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Aye,
    They are pretty rough and unforgiving alright

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

if these places were gone who the hell would miss them,get it over with and shut up,tired listening at this stage

great, more "alternative news" links, btw any more info on that missing Israeli F-16? Did it turn up on Tehran high street or maybe aliens abduct it perhaps? http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/11/16/272691/israeli-f16-jet-shot-down-in-gaza/

Typical.

You didn't even bother reading the source of these "alternative news" reports. :rolleyes:

Experts: Israel could send Iran back to Stone Age

Israeli gamma pulse ‘could send Iran back to Stone Age

RE Press TV Article on Shooting down F16.

Rumours and false claims are the part of the furniture in any confrontation and yes Israel plays just as much a part of this.

RE Press TV Article on Shooting down F16.

Rumours and false claims are the part of the furniture in any confrontation and yes Israel plays just as much a part of this.

You should look for reliable sources before posting Iranian government lies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

The Likud Party Charter states :
    a. “The Jordan river will be the permanent eastern border of the State of Israel.”

b. “Jerusalem is the eternal, united capital of the State of Israel and only of Israel. The government will flatly reject Palestinian proposals to divide Jerusalem”

c. “The Government of Israel flatly rejects the establishment of a Palestinian Arab state west of the Jordan river.”

d. “The Jewish communities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza are the realization of Zionist values. Settlement of the land is a clear expression of the unassailable right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel and constitutes an important asset in the defense of the vital interests of the State of Israel. The Likud will continue to strengthen and develop these communities and will prevent their uprooting.”

Israel refuses to recognise the right of the Palestine to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GeorgeClooney

Good! Hopefully they'll keep it that way. Palestinians are Arab. Arabs come from Saudi Arabia. They are trespassing on the Zionists' soil for too long now and should piss off back to Saudi ARABia.

LONG LIVE ISRAEL!

So they're equally stupid like Hamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Good! Hopefully they'll keep it that way. Palestinians are Arab. Arabs come from Saudi Arabia. They are trespassing on the Zionists' soil for too long now and should piss off back to Saudi ARABia.

LONG LIVE ISRAEL!

Wow, Just Wow.

Palestinians are F***ing Human beings too, even though they may sometimes not seem so in some of the images and stories coming out of the region, these stories are as a result of decades of conflict, repression and the desperate conditions they are forced to survive in.

Trespassing on the Zionists soil ???

If it wasn't for a huge guilty backlash, an acetone manufacturing process, and a very wealthy and influential core of support in the US, there would not be any "Zionist" soil, and I think that the Israeli's and their supporters would do bloody well to acknowledge the fact. It does not give them the right to ethnically cleanse the region, it does not give them the right to Murder innocent civilians forced to live in the region.

This sort of attitude really gives me the sh1ts

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

ahh bollicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

So much for the ceasefire they were negotiating. Shells still landing in Gaza.

That's still going on, but I think it was a bit naïve to believe that a truce would be settled on the same day that Clinton arrives.

This will take a few more days, at least.
    Days in which both sides will continue firing at will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I always have to laugh at the anti-Israel mob and worked up and aggressive they get. They'd last about 5 minutes on the Gaza strip before they are kidnapped and held for ransom :pac:

Another one is that its strange is that the whole support Palestine thing seems to be sexy. When it comes to a situation like Darfur nobody gives a crap. About a 1/4 of a million dead and its just not as fashionable as Palestine. Maybe its just an anti establishment thing. Those big bad wealthy jews and the mighty USA, with the power of the media are going after poor little feeble Palestine and their lovely people. Or maybe some other underlying reason.
    I have to laugh at people who make generalisations like that. They're the people who call environmentalists 'treehuggers', or civil rights activists 'bleeding heart liberals'.
    I don't know how you come to the conclusion that posters in this thread who are critical of the Israeli government 'don't give a crap about Darfur'.
    I give a crap about lots of things that are wrong in this world, and the continuing situation in Gaza is just one of them, and this is after all a thread on the subject. Your post is just an obvious attempt to ridicule and belittle a view you don't agree with. So tell us why you don't agree, and don't talk nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Remember pro-Palestinian forum posters, just pretend like the execution of six so-called 'informants' and the subsequent dragging of a trouserless corpse through the streets of Gaza yesterday didn't happen. Might hurt the sympathetic infantalisation of Palestinians PR campaign, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

That kind of thing happens all over the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement